The Student Room Group

Chemical engineering

I have thinking of pursuing chemical engineering but I don’t know if it’s for me, can someone with some experience let me know how it is?
Original post by _.an3
I have thinking of pursuing chemical engineering but I don’t know if it’s for me, can someone with some experience let me know how it is?

What are you looking for in a career and a degree?
Hi
My name is Saikat, a Student Ambassador at Coventry University.
It totally depends upon your point of interest in which way you try to drive your career path. If you are really enthusiastic about chemistry as well as oil and gas engineering then it's really going to be your favourite course to study.
Please find the engineering course at Coventry University in the below link.
https://www.coventry.ac.uk/search/?search=engineering&location=113&contentType=newcoursepage

Wishing you Best
Saikat Dey
Student Ambassador & MBA student
Coventry University
Hi, chemical engineering is a subject to doesn't only lead to oil and gas. There are many different industries you can go into after the course, for example renewable energy. Not only that but since the chemical engineering covers alot of skills needed for problem solving and also covers maths, finance and safety: many students go into finance and other sectors. I currently study chemical engineering and I chose it as it is a great way to use chemistry and maths in a way that has a positive effect on the world as chemical engineers ensure processes are stable, safe and environmentally friendly.
Original post by _.an3

Hi @_.an3!

Chemical engineering is about the design of processes and products that produce, transform or transport materials and energy. But that's just the textbook definition!

We help with producing fuels, pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, polymers, food products and more. One of the greatest things about our degree is the varied industries that we as chemical engineers can enter, all of which are very prominent in the modern world.

In terms of course content, most degrees focus on basic chemical engineering principles and thermodynamics for the first 2 years (if doing an integrated masters). Then in the last 2 years you can choose modules that are more tailored to you and you interests. Obviously this is mostly my knowledge from Sheffield :smile:

I hope this has given a little more detail on what chemical engineering is - and if in doubt don't hesitate to ask any questions.

From Orla Wilson - 3rd Year Chemical Engineering Student.
Original post by _.an3

Hi,
My names Paddy and I’ve just finished my masters in chemical engineering. I’ll give you a bit of a summery and stuff chemical engineering involved degree wise. It’s a whole lot of calculus and thermodynamics. It’s a whole lot of integration and differentiation equations to design equipment. But saying that there’s a lot of routes you can take career wise as you also learn a lot of stuff economics wise. You can go in to oil, green energy, nuclear, pharmaceuticals, food science, safety and risk and even banking and finance. So it’s a powerful degree to get in terms of opportunities but it is hard and you have to be committed to getting it as there is a lot of maths and memorising what design equations you need to use depending on what type of flow you have, what type of states your dealing with. If you want anymore info just ask 👍.

Quick Reply

Latest