The Student Room Group

ocr a f325 revision thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zef1995
Suggest why a reactive metal such as Zinc is a powerful reducing agent.

Because the oxidation number of zinc increases and hence is a poweful oxidising agent
Reply 981
Original post by otrivine
Because the oxidation number of zinc increases and hence is a poweful oxidising agent

I'm sorry, but not quite, although you're right about the ability of the oxidation state of Zinc to increase.

Basically, reactive metals such as Zinc are able to readily donate electrons to species, and reducing them as a result. For this reason, Zinc and other reactive metals are powerful oxidising agents :smile:
Original post by zef1995
I'm sorry, but not quite, although you're right about the ability of the oxidation state of Zinc to increase.

Basically, reactive metals such as Zinc are able to readily donate electrons to species, and reducing them as a result. For this reason, Zinc and other reactive metals are powerful oxidising agents :smile:

So literally you want the definition of reaching agent
Reply 983
So literally you want the definition of reaching agent

Well, yes and no, it does involve applying the definition of a reducing agent because I asked why reactive metals such as Zinc are powerful reducing agents. :P
Original post by zef1995
Well, yes and no, it does involve applying the definition of a reducing agent because I asked why reactive metals such as Zinc are powerful reducing agents. :P

I see :smile: thanks

Suggest why scientists now a days believe that PH has been associated in giving inaccurate PH values and give an example of how PH can be measured (3)
Reply 985
I see :smile: thanks

Suggest why scientists now a days believe that PH has been associated in giving inaccurate PH values and give an example of how PH can be measured (3)

No worries :smile:

pH can be measured using a pH probe. Hmm, finding the first part difficult, but is it because there are other things that cause acidity as well as H+? I have no idea, just a guess, sorry about that :P
Original post by zef1995
No worries :smile:

pH can be measured using a pH probe. Hmm, finding the first part difficult, but is it because there are other things that cause acidity as well as H+? I have no idea, just a guess, sorry about that :P

Correct for how to measure, yes nearly for your second point , I was thinking along the lines that because when an acid also dissociates it releases alkali ions/groups which can affect the PH so is not always accurate

please tell me if I am wrong because I made these questions myself :smile:
Reply 987
Correct for how to measure, yes nearly for your second point , I was thinking along the lines that because when an acid also dissociates it releases alkali ions/groups which can affect the PH so is not always accurate

please tell me if I am wrong because I made these questions myself :smile:

It's okay, you know what you're talking about!

That makes perfect sense, thanks!

Why can enthalpy change of solutions sometimes be exothermic, even though bonds are broken (so theoretically it should be endothermic all the time)?
Original post by zef1995
It's okay, you know what you're talking about!

That makes perfect sense, thanks!

Why can enthalpy change of solutions sometimes be exothermic, even though bonds are broken (so theoretically it should be endothermic all the time)?

Enthalpy changes of solution can be exothermic because it releases energy as bonds are being formed between the ionic compound and water molecules and is endothermic when energy is absorbed in order to break the strong forces of attraction between the ions and water molecules so energy is needed to break bonds so endothermic.
Reply 989

Enthalpy changes of solution can be exothermic because it releases energy as bonds are being formed between the ionic compound and water molecules and is endothermic when energy is absorbed in order to break the strong forces of attraction between the ions and water molecules so energy is needed to break bonds so endothermic.

Yes that is correct :biggrin: Although, one thing with respect to wording, instead of saying the ionic compound bonds to water molecules, it may be a good idea to specify that it's the ions of the ionic compound. I'm sorry, it's very picky, but I don't know whether examiners would be picky over that, but I don't mean it in a bad way :smile:

I'm sorry if I take a while to reply now, although I will reply when I'm online of course.

Good luck with your revision!
Original post by zef1995
Yes that is correct :biggrin: Although, one thing with respect to wording, instead of saying the ionic compound bonds to water molecules, it may be a good idea to specify that it's the ions of the ionic compound. I'm sorry, it's very picky, but I don't know whether examiners would be picky over that, but I don't mean it in a bad way :smile:

I'm sorry if I take a while to reply now, although I will reply when I'm online of course.

Good luck with your revision!

No worries , you are doing a goof thing , I like it ,thankyou :wink:

Define:Kc
Reply 991
No worries , you are doing a goof thing , I like it ,thankyou :wink:

Define:Kc

You're welcome, as long as I'm not being offensive :smile:

Kc is the equilibrium constant. For the equilibrium aA + bB -> cC + dD, Kc = [D]d[C]c/[A]ab

:smile:
Hi everyone, is the catalyst in a mutlistep reaction included in the rate equation? I just did a question and it was apprently.... :/
anyone got some good tips with the titration questions? :smile:
Anyone got some good resources for questions as I don't want to finish the past papers too quickly :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 995
Original post by master y
Hi everyone, is the catalyst in a mutlistep reaction included in the rate equation? I just did a question and it was apprently.... :/

Yes you're right, the catalyst can be included in the rate equation! For example, H+ can be used as a catalyst, and can be included in the rate equation if it affects the rate of reaction :smile:
Reply 996
Original post by MathsNerd1
Anyone got some good resources for questions as I don't want to finish the past papers too quickly :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you seen some of the legacy papers on the OCR website (they should be on the same page as the link to the other past papers)? If you haven't seen them already, there are some legacy papers on the OCR website (papers from the previous spec), which do contain some questions that are relevant to our current spec.

http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/as-a-level-gce-chemistry-a-h034-h434/

- Past papers -> Legacy qualification.

I hope you find them useful! :smile:
Original post by zef1995
Have you seen some of the legacy papers on the OCR website (they should be on the same page as the link to the other past papers)? If you haven't seen them already, there are some legacy papers on the OCR website (papers from the previous spec), which do contain some questions that are relevant to our current spec.

http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/as-a-level-gce-chemistry-a-h034-h434/

- Past papers -> Legacy qualification.

I hope you find them useful! :smile:

Thanks, I shall have a look at those over the half term and would you be able to help me with a question?
Reply 998
Original post by MathsNerd1
Thanks, I shall have a look at those over the half term and would you be able to help me with a question?

Okay no worries :smile: I would be happy to give it a try, fire away :smile:
Original post by zef1995
Okay no worries :smile: I would be happy to give it a try, fire away :smile:

Okay, I'll post a picture of it up here, just give me a moment as I have to find it :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending