The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

The lie about Imperial College London

Scroll to see replies

Imperial is no different in the levels of snobbishness therefore I agree with 'Fullofsuprises'
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by dbkey
The "odd prince" as has been revealed by the media.

Doubtless there are others (I personally some) who got in through the back door.

And they are thick are they? What grades did they get?

You are unfairly painting a false picture of arts students at Oxbridge. They are neither smarter nor less smart than other students, with the exception of mathematicians, who are smarter than everyone.
Reply 22
Original post by Dirac Delta Function

You are unfairly painting a false picture of arts students at Oxbridge. They are neither smarter nor less smart than other students, with the exception of mathematicians, who are smarter than everyone.

A-Levels ranging from ABC to BCC.

I'm not saying all arts students are thick, at Oxbridge or anywhere else.

I'm saying there are thick ones at Oxbridge doing arts degrees because I personally know some and therefore can say with 100% confidence.

I agree with you re maths but I'm sure many others will say every subject is of a similar standard. If that were true, the term "Mickey Mouse" degrees would not exist.
Reply 23
OP, your post just made me feel worse after getting rejected!
Original post by Type 052D
Imperial is no different in the levels of snobbishness therefore I agree with 'Fullofsuprises'

In what way?
Original post by Pinkhead

Could always apply as a postgrad, :smile:
Reply 26
Original post by Pinkhead

That was definitely not my intention! :O

I was rejected from Imperial last year myself. I was not trying to make it seem as if Imperial is superior to anyone else. Many universities allow students to have great social-lifes.

I just wanted to make a post because of all the clear-cut lying that goes on with Imperial.

Where else did you apply?:smile:
Reply 27

I highly doubt that.
Original post by MENDACIUM
I highly doubt that.

I don't wanna argue with you! You are one of my favorite TSR users :P!
Reply 29
I don't wanna argue with you! You are one of my favorite TSR users :P!

:O!

I never knew anyone liked me on these boards at all.
:O!

I never knew anyone liked me on these boards at all.

You, madfish and Robbie crack me up :biggrin:
Reply 31
Original post by Dirac Delta Function

And don't forget computer science. We are smart too. At Oxford we take the same entrance exams as the mathmos.
Reply 32
That's because the people who want to bullingdog keep Imperial as an insurance.

Also, and more to the point, wouldn't you feel a bit stupid if you were bullingdogging at Imperial? I mean would you even have the same sense of effort less superiority and unearned privilege?
'University social life' tends to mean getting wasted and clubbing, and your argument is that they have a "few bars" :rofl:
I highly doubt that.

I second that.
Reply 35
Hey, I have a couple of questions if you don't mind! :P

1. How does the Financial support package thing work? The maximum seems to be £6000 - is this money given to students in cash or in the form of discounts for stuff like rent/facilities? If it is in the form of discounts then how does this work when students move into private accommodation after their first year?

2. How expensive is it to join societies and stuff, are most people welcoming, as in is it limited to friends/social circles?

3. I know the best of the best get into Imperial so I know that most will be quite focused individuals, is this a barrier to creating meaningful friendships? I am focused too but I would love to make friends, I see University as a fresh start for me, socially anyway.

4. How much spare time do you have when taking degrees like Mathematics? I'd probably need to get a part time job to fund living in London :smile:

5. Lastly, do you think the £11-£14,000 predicted my Imperial is enough to live on for every academic year (Including Rent)

I apologise for the long post!
I did an MSc in the History of Science, Technology and Medicine at Imperial, not a huge humanities department (and about to move to Kings).
Reply 37
There is no significance to private school students attending with regards to how imperial select. It's all based on merit. Private school students on average tend to get much better results, and more information and coaching. That's why they get into the more selective universities. That is available anywhere bar the few terrible secondary schools.

As long as you have good grades, a good overall application, ect you'll have a chance.

No UK university selects students based on what secondary they went to either.

Ah. It's far worse in the US. There is a multi million dollar test preparation industry. Students pay many many thousands to practice and be coached on taking the standardized tests to increase their scores. They also pay thousands to consultants to help with their resumes. Not to mention very selective schools look for novelties like going to rural Africa to help build wells or something of the sort.

Colleges attempt to even it out by making the bar higher for students from certain schools, but in the process really screw students who don't try to do these things.

I know that certainly here private universities tend to charge much more ($60,000 USD cost of living and tuition) versus public ones ($10-$25,000) and thereby by going to a private university you almost always find wealthier peers than at a public one. I would imagine Imperial is no different with it's near US level fees in the hear of London.

In the US it's much more public about students being able to buy their way into universities through "donations". While I disagree with it on a moral level I don't really mind. The huge sums of money they donate benefit the entire student population through new buildings, additional programs and increased financial aid by the universities. Within my school at Boston University virtually all of my classes are bell curved. Students who got in through connections and donations aren't as bright as their counterparts and thereby tend to score worse which essentially helps buoy my score. Far worse of a problem is the huge number of Asian students who come in from the PRC and Korea with faked transcripts and activities.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Wiska
Hey, I have a couple of questions if you don't mind! :P

1. How does the Financial support package thing work? The maximum seems to be £6000 - is this money given to students in cash or in the form of discounts for stuff like rent/facilities? If it is in the form of discounts then how does this work when students move into private accommodation after their first year?

2. How expensive is it to join societies and stuff, are most people welcoming, as in is it limited to friends/social circles?

3. I know the best of the best get into Imperial so I know that most will be quite focused individuals, is this a barrier to creating meaningful friendships? I am focused too but I would love to make friends, I see University as a fresh start for me, socially anyway.

4. How much spare time do you have when taking degrees like Mathematics? I'd probably need to get a part time job to fund living in London :smile:

5. Lastly, do you think the £11-£14,000 predicted my Imperial is enough to live on for every academic year (Including Rent)

I apologise for the long post!

1 - If you qualify for less than £1000 in busaries this will be paid to you in one lump sum in November (our payment date is the 7th and I presume it'll be the same next year. If you qualify for more than £1000 it will be split into eight equal parts and paid on the same date (7th) each month starting November with the last payment in June.

Note: if you're in halls in your first year you can also use the bursary payment to go straight towards your rent, it will be discounted from your second payment since (I assume) that's the largest. What's left (if there is anything) will be carried forward and taken off your third payment I think - not 100% certain on that since I don't know anyone who's chosen this option.

2 - Societies aren't too expensive but you can check the membership fees here. Most people I've met are very welcoming and there'll be lots of free taster sessions in the first few weeks for people to give it ago and see how they like it before committing.

3 - I've certainly not found this to be a barrier. I've made some amazing friends this year. There will be some people you won't see very often who just lock themselves in their rooms and work but this is a minority, even at Imperial xD

4 - You'd have to ask one of the maths students to know exactly what their timetable is like but it should be manageable as long as you don't try to juggle too many societies as well. If you need to work - I can't emphasise this enough - your best bet is to get a job with at the union because it's so flexible and you just sign up for shifts when you want. One of my close friends works behind the bar and he goes weeks without working then will do a few a week when he needs the money.

5 - It's definitely enough to live on but it's really hard say exactly how much you'll need because it varies so much depending on which halls you live in, how much you spend on your weekly food shop and how often you go out.

I think I answered everything but if I missed anything/you have any other questions let me know :smile:
Reply 39
Just want to explain about the clique thing at Imperial:

Spoiler

Now, regarding social life:

Spoiler

I highly recommend people to look past the stereotypes and just go adn see and experience what Imperial has to offer themselves if they can.

take me as an example - I was so hesitant of coming to Imperial in the first place (heard of the student dissastisfaction for my course, and the uni and the social life and etc). I nearly didn't come and am so glad I never went along with this idea and came instead!
I thought I was going to have to be a library worm, work my socks off for 3 years and be deprived of social life, but it turned out I had a blast in societies, halls, and with my course and it's all to do with getting myself out there and trying out new things, meeting new people! =]
I'm not going to lie, fi you want to do well at Imperial (especially getting a 1st), you'll have to work hard, but even that's enjoyable when you work with friends, where you spurr each other on, have mini friendly rivalry and competitions and so on).
As for my course - you have the good and bad lecturers, the disorganisation at times - it's the main thing that ecplains why there's a low satisfaction, alongside some other factors (like some people feel imperial doesn't prioritise students and is commercially driven, true to some extent but you still get the support you need if you ask for it!)
Imperial has its flaws and some of them really makes you angry at times, but it's not all that bad and things do get sorted out.
Overall, I've had a great so far and I honestly am so glad I came and I really am dreading the day when I've to go! =/

I think Imperial's a great example of a "work hard, play hard" place and again, it's all up to you to realise that for yourself by getting yourself involved in things! I've come across many people who've said that they're so glad they came and didnt let the stereotypes deter them from coming. =]

Sorry for this massive essay, I just hope you guys will go and judge it for yourselves!
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending