The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

UCL or imperial?

Is the prestige that much different between the two? I’m personally leaning towards UCL since I simply prefer it over imperial.

Scroll to see replies

I’ve heard u have more of a social life at ucl? It depends what subject ur studying! I’ve got offers from both
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
What course have you applied for?
Original post by JJ <3
I’ve heard u have more of a social life at ucl? It depends what subject ur studying! I’ve got offers from both

I've applied for chemistry
Original post by Anonymous
I've applied for chemistry

Maybe check out the course content too and see what u prefer. What grades are both unis asking for?
Original post by JJ <3
Maybe check out the course content too and see what u prefer. What grades are both unis asking for?

Both ask for unconditional. I'm on a gap year. Honestly, I prefer the UCL chemistry course since there's a lot more to choose but I'd like to see what other people think. I also think it's important to study somewhere you'll enjoy and UCL students are seem more social than Imperial students. I'm not too sure which one I should go for.

Also, what have you applied for?
Both ask for unconditional. I'm on a gap year. Honestly, I prefer the UCL chemistry course since there's a lot more to choose but I'd like to see what other people think. I also think it's important to study somewhere you'll enjoy and UCL students are seem more social than Imperial students. I'm not too sure which one I should go for.

Also, what have you applied for?

I’ve applied to biomed at Imperial and UCL and pharmacology at UCL, kings and St. George’s and have offers from them all. I’m thinking of firming UCL and insuring St. George’s. Yhhh I quite like UCL too! It sounds like u quite like the look of UCL too so just go for it! I’m glad u got in to both amazing unis with unconditional!
Go to UCL. I did chemistry there and it was amazing, the course is great and most of the lecturers were fantastic. It's much more diverse and social than Imperial too, the latter is mostly international Asian students who just stick to themselves and speak their own language so a lot harder to make friends. And Imperial has become notorious in the last few years for being really toxic in regards to student support and the like. Honestly go to UCL, best years of my life the ones I spent there.
Go to UCL. I did chemistry there and it was amazing, the course is great and most of the lecturers were fantastic. It's much more diverse and social than Imperial too, the latter is mostly international Asian students who just stick to themselves and speak their own language so a lot harder to make friends. And Imperial has become notorious in the last few years for being really toxic in regards to student support and the like. Honestly go to UCL, best years of my life the ones I spent there.

Did you move out or travel from home?
Original post by JJ <3
Did you move out or travel from home?

I personally travelled from home because I lived 25 mins away by tube but I’d recommend moving out if you can, especially in first year.
I went to UCL, and it is in most respects as an all-rounder an excellent university, administrative issues notwisthstanding. However, there can be no doubt that a pure sciences degree from Imperial is elite tier in terms of teaching, resourcing and research. Nowadays, does that mean a lot without postgrad? Maybe not - but if you're just after the undergrad and the name recognition, it's going to be Imperial.

But.

For everything social, UCL is better and it isn't even a contest. It's very easy to say nonsense like "I'm going to focus on my degree and partying isn't an issue for me" - yes. Easy to say when you're not stuck in an absurdly expensive halls of residence crying into your laptop that you don't have any friends.

If you are the sort of person who makes friends easily and is relatively easy going, and you're all about the undergrad --then Imperial would work well. If you are either very social, or on the other hand find it difficult to make friends and you're satisfied with an excellent rather than elite tier - then pick UCL. There's no point going somewhere and being miserable. I can promise you, South Kensington isn't exactly known as a student hub.
Is the prestige that much different between the two? I’m personally leaning towards UCL since I simply prefer it over imperial.

You don't need to consider the prestige because they're both elite world class unis so the difference is negligible. No employer is going to pick one preferentially. I'd say the more important factors are the course and the student life.
Original post by Trinculo
I went to UCL, and it is in most respects as an all-rounder an excellent university, administrative issues notwisthstanding. However, there can be no doubt that a pure sciences degree from Imperial is elite tier in terms of teaching, resourcing and research. Nowadays, does that mean a lot without postgrad? Maybe not - but if you're just after the undergrad and the name recognition, it's going to be Imperial.

But.

For everything social, UCL is better and it isn't even a contest. It's very easy to say nonsense like "I'm going to focus on my degree and partying isn't an issue for me" - yes. Easy to say when you're not stuck in an absurdly expensive halls of residence crying into your laptop that you don't have any friends.

If you are the sort of person who makes friends easily and is relatively easy going, and you're all about the undergrad --then Imperial would work well. If you are either very social, or on the other hand find it difficult to make friends and you're satisfied with an excellent rather than elite tier - then pick UCL. There's no point going somewhere and being miserable. I can promise you, South Kensington isn't exactly known as a student hub.

To be fairly honest, prestige is a bit important but I want the university experience. I'd hate having to spend my time spending a lot of money in a place where it just stresses me out. I guess for me postgraduate is a time where you'll specialize and I guess in that respect I could apply to a more specialized course. I've heard horrible stories from Imperial where students have to firm it because they're too stuck in and I don't want to be in that position

Really?? You're the first one I've heard talk so highly about the chemistry department. I prefer UCL but apparently, people don't like the chemistry department that much.
Really?? You're the first one I've heard talk so highly about the chemistry department. I prefer UCL but apparently, people don't like the chemistry department that much.

The chemistry department's brilliant, what's not to like? Great facilities and labs and very very good lecturers.
The chemistry department's brilliant, what's not to like? Great facilities and labs and very very good lecturers.

I've heard from students that chemistry is very disorganised and that 2:1 or above rates are very low is that true?
I've heard from students that chemistry is very disorganised and that 2:1 or above rates are very low is that true?

Not true, the people saying that are probably doing really badly and so will make up any excuse to justify that. In any case, it’s about your own work. If you’re smart and complete the work to a high standard you’ll get good grades, just like anywhere else. But also bear in mind that chemistry’s a difficult degree and UCL is one of the best unis in the world, so it’s not going to be easy.
Not true, the people saying that are probably doing really badly and so will make up any excuse to justify that. In any case, it’s about your own work. If you’re smart and complete the work to a high standard you’ll get good grades, just like anywhere else. But also bear in mind that chemistry’s a difficult degree and UCL is one of the best unis in the world, so it’s not going to be easy.

I see, but is it true that not many students get 2:1 or above in chemistry at UCL?
I see, but is it true that not many students get 2:1 or above in chemistry at UCL?

No, that's a lie. A 2:1 is the average, it's what most people get.
No, that's a lie. A 2:1 is the average, it's what most people get.

Oh right. I guess thats a relief. I thought there was a problem with the course. I guess everyone's experience is different. Also if you don't mind me asking but student satisfaction for chemistry is the lowest among the three sciences. Is there a reason for that?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending