The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Clifton Vs. Stoke Bishop

I'm sure theres a thread for this already but I can't find one and I don't really know how to search on here just yet, haha. Very much hoping to attend University Of Bristol. I'm very confused as far as accommodation is concerned. From what I can gather, there's two places to choose from, Stoke Bishop and Clifton. But there are also Unite buldings in the city centre? Which do you guys recommend?
I'm on the website right now http://www.bristol.ac.uk/accommodation/undergraduate/residences/ ...are all of these halls situated in either Clifton or Stoke Bishop?
Which halls have a reputation for being the most social?
Thank you!
Reply 1
Some of those halls are in Clifton, some are in Stoke Bishop. Looks like they've just listed all of them there.

I'd say the ones in Stoke Bishop are probably generally more sociable. Plus they're mostly grouped together in the same area, where as the Clifton ones are spread out. But maybe Goldney is pretty sociable too, it's quite big.

I was in Woodland Court. Not particularly sociable there. But then again, having not lived in any of the others maybe it was a case of "the grass is always greener".
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
I don't go to Bristol Uni but I live in Bristol. Clifton is far more buzzy than Stoke Bishop - there's much more to do in the area and closer to the centre and the uni itself. Stoke Bishop is nice and quiet though :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Psyk
Some of those halls are in Clifton, some are in Stoke Bishop. Looks like they've just listed all of them there.

I'd say the ones in Stoke Bishop are probably generally more sociable. Plus they're mostly grouped together in the same area, where as the Clifton ones are spread out. But maybe Goldney is pretty sociable too, it's quite big.

I was in Woodland Court. Not particularly sociable there. But then again, having not lived in any of the others maybe it was a case of "the grass is always greener".

Woodland court is well known for being quiet though, definitely much quieter than most clifton halls.

OP it depends how far you want to walk to uni! i wouldn't say it changes anything in terms of sociability, although if you want catered halls Stoke B is probably the place to be :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by redferry
Woodland court is well known for being quiet though, definitely much quieter than most clifton halls.

I had no way of knowing that at the time. I was in the first year to stay there. It was brand new when I started.
Reply 5
Original post by Psyk
I had no way of knowing that at the time. I was in the first year to stay there. It was brand new when I started.

Yeah it was pretty new when I started. Wonder how these places end up so quiet... One of my friends moved out in the first couple of months and one basically made no friendsvexcept those onvhis course.
Reply 6
Original post by redferry
Yeah it was pretty new when I started. Wonder how these places end up so quiet... One of my friends moved out in the first couple of months and one basically made no friendsvexcept those onvhis course.

Wasn't that bad for me, I did make quite a few friends there who I ended up living with for the next 4 years.

Maybe it got more quiet after the first year. If it got a reputation for being quiet, then more people who want that would decide to live there, and more people who don't would avoid it.

It could also be to do with the fact that there's a lot of postgrads living there.
I love Clifton, I think it has such a lovely vibe - just close enough to the city but its character. Plenty of really nice restaurants (the new Canteen is amazing!), independant stores and coffee shops like Caffe Clifton to study in. There is even farmers markets too!
Original post by ohwowpistol
I love Clifton, I think it has such a lovely vibe - just close enough to the city but its character. Plenty of really nice restaurants (the new Canteen is amazing!), independant stores and coffee shops like Caffe Clifton to study in. There is even farmers markets too!

I tried to go to Canteen the other day without a reservation and they didn't have any space :frown:

It should probably be noted that living in the Stoke Bishop halls will mean that you are going through Clifton 'proper' whereas the 'Clifton' halls are a bit more city centre-ish.

If anyone is coming from a [semi-]rural area and feels the need for green space (like me!) then SB has one big advantage - the Downs - 400 acres of parkland in the middle of the city, right next to halls. It's also got really easy access to Leigh Woods and Ashton Court if you go over the Suspension Bridge (take a bike, ideally), and the latter has a deer park. That said, Clifton Halls are really close to Brandon Hill, which is nice but not quite as nice as the Downs.
Reply 9
Firstly I would strongly advise against Unite. The accommodation tends to be overly expensive, poor quality, and not in the lest sociable.

I would take into account what sort of person you are, and what type of things you are likely to get involved in. I was in Clifton halls, and picked them because I knew I was likely to do a lot of music. I didnt want to be walking acros the downs late at night after rehearsals. This ended up being the best thing for me, it meant I made friends in other years because I didnt have to race home for dinner. This also applies for picking catered halls. I did, and made it to approx 1 dinner a week cos they were at the same time as dinner or committee meetings. However if you are the sort of person who isnt likely to get involved in as much stuff I would probably pick stoke bishop.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending