The Student Room Group

Bishop Vesey vs King edwards aston sixth form

Which is better from experience?

I'm stuck between the two and have to decide in 4 days on results day. I live closer to king edward aston but bishop vesey seems to have better sixth form grades. Aston is also all boys, while bishop is co-ed which I'd probably prefer.

Bishop vesey looks really strict though, so I wanted to ask if anyone knew anything about the two and which is better for sixth form. thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Duckity
Which is better from experience?

I'm stuck between the two and have to decide in 4 days on results day. I live closer to king edward aston but bishop vesey seems to have better sixth form grades. Aston is also all boys, while bishop is co-ed which I'd probably prefer.

Bishop vesey looks really strict though, so I wanted to ask if anyone knew anything about the two and which is better for sixth form. thanks

I’ve heard that bishop vesey’s required entrance grades are quite high, which could be the reason the sixth form grades are higher as they only accept smarter pupils, it doesn’t necessarily mean their teaching is substantially better.
An all-boys school can be hard, like really hard. So I think that might have to be a deciding factor for you as you said you’d prefer a co-Ed school.
Sure BV’s teachers may be a bit stricter (idk if that’s true or not) but surely that’s worth it for a better learning environment and no uncontrolled classrooms?
If you haven’t, I’d recommend going and looking around the schools, maybe do a taster day, just you see which you prefer.
Hope that helps a bit!
Reply 2
Original post by LittleFire10
I’ve heard that bishop vesey’s required entrance grades are quite high, which could be the reason the sixth form grades are higher as they only accept smarter pupils, it doesn’t necessarily mean their teaching is substantially better.
An all-boys school can be hard, like really hard. So I think that might have to be a deciding factor for you as you said you’d prefer a co-Ed school.
Sure BV’s teachers may be a bit stricter (idk if that’s true or not) but surely that’s worth it for a better learning environment and no uncontrolled classrooms?
If you haven’t, I’d recommend going and looking around the schools, maybe do a taster day, just you see which you prefer.
Hope that helps a bit!

Thanks so much for your response. Yeah maybe an all boys school isn't the best. I went to open days for both, and both were pretty good. But there was loads of commotion at king edwards aston in the background when I went, since it was during school time.

Also, I think the higher grade thing you said makes a ton of sense, thanks for that. Honestly though I'm really worrier about the teaching since that matters the most for me. I know someone who went ke aston, and he told me for the subjects I want to do the teaching is decent, but he doesn't do my a level subjects, so honestly i cant be sure of it.

I also know no one from Bishop to compare or ask questions. hence why I came here.

but yeah thanks alot for your response.
The teachers at vesey aren’t too strict . I mean sure you probably get the odd few but generally they’re quite nice
(edited 8 months ago)
Which subjects u wanna do?
Reply 5
Original post by Studentwithaname
Which subjects u wanna do?

Further maths, maths and physics. I know it's quite alot but I want good competent teachers, especially with all that.

might change further maths to chemistry though. so also want to know how they chemistry teachers are.

I got an offer from bishop vesey and aston so I gotta know asap. please let me know 😭
Original post by Duckity
Further maths, maths and physics. I know it's quite alot but I want good competent teachers, especially with all that.

might change further maths to chemistry though. so also want to know how they chemistry teachers are.

I got an offer from bishop vesey and aston so I gotta know asap. please let me know 😭

Maths teachers are great
chemistry teachers are a bit bad.. there’s only one good chemistry teacher , lucky if u get her
(edited 8 months ago)
Wait did vesey ring you today? I know someone still waiting
Please let me know asap
Wait did vesey ring you today? I know someone still waiting
Reply 9
Maths teachers are great
chemistry teachers are a bit bad.. there’s only one good chemistry teacher , lucky if u get her

How about physics teachers?

also do you know anything about aston
Original post by Duckity

Please let me know about my previous question about whether vesey rang u today
URGENT
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Duckity

Didn’t do physics so not sure
dunno about Aston sorry
Reply 12
Please let me know about my previous question about whether vesey rang u today
URGENT

sorry didn't see it. yes they did. I'm an external

Please let me know about the physics teachers too. and if you have any experience on keaston
Original post by Duckity
sorry didn't see it. yes they did. I'm an external

Please let me know about the physics teachers too. and if you have any experience on keaston

I’ve asked someone I know who did physics at vesey. I’ll let u know
I’ve asked someone I know who did physics at vesey. I’ll let u know

Hi I’ve copied and pasted their reply

“The physics teachers and department are very good at Vesey I would say. Physics is hard in itself but the teachers really helped us prepare in terms of intervention and extra revision sessions. I found physics really hard and I wouldn’t have got a B without their help.”
Reply 15
Hi I’ve copied and pasted their reply

“The physics teachers and department are very good at Vesey I would say. Physics is hard in itself but the teachers really helped us prepare in terms of intervention and extra revision sessions. I found physics really hard and I wouldn’t have got a B without their help.”

Thank you so much. do they have any personal experience with the maths or further maths teachers at all? just asking as I'm trying to make my decision firm one way or the other
The maths department is actually good you
Know. They enjoy the subject they’re teaching and r good at teaching it. They’re always available and willing to help. Lessons structures are good

Original post by Duckity
Thank you so much. do they have any personal experience with the maths or further maths teachers at all? just asking as I'm trying to make my decision firm one way or the other
Reply 17
The maths department is actually good you
Know. They enjoy the subject they’re teaching and r good at teaching it. They’re always available and willing to help. Lessons structures are good

That's fine then thanks. Gives me reassurance in this hella difficult decision
Reply 18
Original post by Duckity
That's fine then thanks. Gives me reassurance in this hella difficult decision

i actually am in a similar situation to u. I have an offer from KE aston, QMGS and KE handsworth for sixthform and tbh the 'all-boys' aspect is really off putting; although due to KE aston's proximity, I've decided to go there. Please let me know what you chose and why.
Reply 19
Original post by Lollollo
i actually am in a similar situation to u. I have an offer from KE aston, QMGS and KE handsworth for sixthform and tbh the 'all-boys' aspect is really off putting; although due to KE aston's proximity, I've decided to go there. Please let me know what you chose and why.

Ke aston is a bit closer to me. But I decided the best would be BVGS. they have alot more extra curricular and certain programmes in place to help with oxbridge. Their average grade is A- compared to Keastons B-.

The bvgs building is really big. keaston is quite a small school with very narrow hallways. Keaston has the device scheme where they ask you to buy an ipad to do work on. Honestly I kinda prefer books rather than putting all my 2 years work on an ipad that could break any day.

Then again, if I end up not liking BVGS I'm probably gonna try to switch

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending