The Student Room Group

Should I get a Cambridge Satchel bag for Uni ???

Hiiiii Just wondering whether I should get a 15 inch Cambridge Satchel for university??? :smile: I have been looking at reviews but can't find any which are written by students who use them on a daily basis. Before I spend this amount of money on a bag I wanted to know if it would be big enough, also not sure about what colour to get so any advice would be great. :biggrin:
Reply 1
maybe it depends on which subject you are doing?
Reply 2
I will be doing Marine and Freshwater biology so will probably have to carry around textbooks, notepads and folders.:smile:
Hehe this is funny, I had exactly this problem with carrying around all of my textbooks in a carrier bag, (not so good in the snow and rain!) and my mum had the same idea as you - of buying a satchel. I'd never thought of it but my mum got me one from Tom Brown's Satchels, she chose brown and it is just the perfect size in a 15" for carrying all of my books, notes and also fits my laptop and charger in. I just had a look at the Cambridge Satchel company (never heard of them before) and their satchels are more expensive than Tom Brown's, a 15" costs £104 from Cambridge but only £81 from Tom Brown's and the quality on my satchel is beautiful, so I think I'd recommend them rather than Cambridge! Hope that you're all having a happy Easter. Marine and freshwater biology sounds amazing by the way! I can imagine you having an amazing career diving and spending your time in the great barrier reef! C x
Reply 4
Are those the bags you repeatedly see on youtube adverts?
If so are they unisex?
Reply 5
I received one as a gift and I can honestly say that they're completely useless for carrying large and heavy books. Of course it all depends on what you carry every day. They do fit some notebooks and thin files, but not books because they get incredibly heavy. The strap is also very thin so it will probably be quite painful for your shoulders.

I do like the bag and I carry it occasionally, but always along with another bag that will fit all the books.

If you want a bag for uni, I'd suggest opting for something more sturdy and easier to carry, e.g. a canvas messenger bag or tote.

Personally, I carry this one: http://www.homeofmillican.com/shop/keith-the-writers-bag.html

It's almost the same price as the satchel and it's really really roomy and easy to carry. Of course it all depends on your personal style. I am really casual dresser and not very fond of girly stuff so the bag is ideal for me. If you're more girly, I don't think you'd find my suggestion helpful! :wink::biggrin:

Anyway, good luck!
Reply 6
I just got this http://maudeandtommy.co.uk/shop/leather-briefcase-satchel/
I already have a bag from them which is going strong after 2 years of constant use and rainy weather etc. I got this because it is slightly bigger than the one I currently have (which can comfortably fit A4 notebooks).
Reply 7
Thank you for the great advice and I will definatley look into the the other suggestions :biggrin: However if I was to get a Cambridge satchel which colour should I get ???? I really like either the Green or Navy but would like a classy and beautiful looking bag. Any suggestions????
Original post by Ret94
Thank you for the great advice and I will definatley look into the the other suggestions :biggrin: However if I was to get a Cambridge satchel which colour should I get ???? I really like either the Green or Navy but would like a classy and beautiful looking bag. Any suggestions????

I have this one and I'm complimented about it all the time. I love it because it goes with just about anything and is so classy.

Screen Shot 2013-03-29 at 19.15.58.png

https://www.cambridgesatchel.co.uk/buy/the-designer/

Its 15 inch and although not too big inside I can usually fit one folder, my iPad mini and my pencil case easily into it with ease.

The Chelsea collection are also very classy and beautiful.

Screen Shot 2013-03-29 at 19.20.11.png

https://www.cambridgesatchel.co.uk/buy/chelsea/

Although I think they come in smaller sizes that may not be suitable.

I definitely recommend the bag though. They're very sturdy and I haven't had any trouble in rainy or snowy conditions yet.
Reply 9
Original post by Ret94

I think red, brown and black are the more classic ones that would probably go with anything.

I personally have a rule whenever I buy accessories and especially bags. Don't buy whatever colour most appeals to you. Take a look at your wardrobe and then buy something that will suit 2/3 of the outfits you have. For example, I love white and light blue. I don't have a single accessory in those colours simply because they are not at all easy to combine with clothes. Not to mention that they get dirty easily.

I know that buying a bag is not a life-changing decision, but isn't it better to think though this rather than buy a £110 bag and then regret it? :wink:
I have a red one that I use as a bag for sixth form and it's pretty good for carrying lots of textbooks and the like, I have the largest size.

It can only really fit one A4 file in it though, and not lever-arch files, so I wouldn't recommend it if you're going to use those too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have the largest one for university at the moment - it can fit a laptop along with a few textbooks/paper/etc. Can even fit a large bottle of water in if done on the loosest buckle :smile:
Reply 12
Well after many hours of deliberating I have decided to purchase a satchel from the Leather Satchel Company as they can make custom made satchels big enough for a university student. :biggrin: Plus they have a beautiful range of colours and are so much cheaper, this company have been making satchels since 1960 and so aren't a cheap rip off and the reviews Ive been reading are great. All in all a much better value for money bag. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest