The Student Room Group

A levels disaster I'm done

My A levels were nowhere near as good as I thought I won't make an elite uni and my parents have told me to pack my bags as they think I'm a failure, life isn't worth it no more
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
My A levels were nowhere near as good as I thought I won't make an elite uni and my parents have told me to pack my bags as they think I'm a failure, life isn't worth it no more

You are not a failure.
Life still has worth. You are the same person today as you were yesterday, you cannot be suddenly redefined by a few numbers.
There is more to life than going to an "elite" university uni is about becoming more independent and studying something you love and making friends. You don't even have to go to uni plenty of people do not, there are plenty of options.
You may not have the grades to study X at university Y because you want to do Z in the future, but there is always a way to get somewhere if you really want to. It might just take a little longer. Perhaps you study X at a different university, have a lovely uni experience, (maybe consider a post-grad at university Y if you still wanted to study there), and get to doing your dream career in a few years. Or maybe you do something a little different, study a different subject, and discover a new passion and end up doing a job that you truly love. Whatever happens, you'll make friends, gain skills for life, and things will work out in the end. It'll be ok :smile:

With those kind of parents, I think it would be better if you moved out anyways. Have you tried clearing?
Reply 3
Original post by toxicgamage56
With those kind of parents, I think it would be better if you moved out anyways. Have you tried clearing?

What's the point of clearing I won't get into Oxford or Cambridge I think my parents wouldn't miss me if I were dead I don't know why they had me and put all this pressure on me
What's the point of clearing I won't get into Oxford or Cambridge I think my parents wouldn't miss me if I were dead I don't know why they had me and put all this pressure on me

I feel you, I had a similar sort of pressure to get into an elite institution, but my parents would never give up on me despite being disappointed. Oxbridge is two out of over 100 universities and there are a lot of top 30 unis in clearing, I'm sure you could do better in the next application cycle. Take a gap year, do resits if you have to, and try to move on.
Also look into apprenticeships if you haven't done so already!
Reply 5
I won't get into Oxford or Cambridge

I got a rejection from Cambridge before even the interview stage (this was a few years ago now), was pretty devastated at the time, but now having done a couple of years of uni (in Bath), I am honestly so glad I ended up where I did.
There are a lot of very good universities out there, and I think that if the only thing you want from uni is the prestige, then you probably have some reconsidering to do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending