The Student Room Group

Uni bags ???

Hi
I will be going to LSE, commuting by train (underground). I don't know if I should buy like a purse/tote or a backpack. I've used a purse in sixth form but sometimes it got too heavy and really hurt my shoulders but I don't know how the uni life is like is it paper/book intensive ? Also would be carrying a laptop, lunch, a bottle and a notebook on a daily basis. Do you have any recommendations ?
Hi there!

I would recommend getting a sturdy backpack, particularly if you'll be taking a laptop with you! You can search online for backpacks that have built in compartments especially for laptops, as well as plenty of back and shoulder support so you don't ache! As a former tote bag user, once I bought my backpack for uni I never went back- I have a Kanken specifically for laptops, and it's sturdy & supportive, as well as waterproof!

If you're travelling on the tube, it also helps to have a backpack with hidden or lockable zips to avoid pickpockets- totes and purses are cute, but also very easy for people to take things from, especially during rush hour when everyone's crammed in like sardines.

Unis can be quite paper-heavy, depending on your course, as well as your method of taking notes. If you have a lot of loose sheets of paper, I'd recommend getting a slim folder so that all your things are in one place.

I hope this helps!

-Ella
Hi, moved your thread to the university life forum :smile:

I think backpacks are by far the best option over tote bags. I think they're more practical and offer more protection for your stuff against pickpockets and the weather!

Good luck with your LSE studies :biggrin:
Original post by jaankiii
Hi
I will be going to LSE, commuting by train (underground). I don't know if I should buy like a purse/tote or a backpack. I've used a purse in sixth form but sometimes it got too heavy and really hurt my shoulders but I don't know how the uni life is like is it paper/book intensive ? Also would be carrying a laptop, lunch, a bottle and a notebook on a daily basis. Do you have any recommendations ?

Hi @jaankii,

I would personally recommend getting a backpack for your commute to LSE. It will be more comfortable to carry than a purse or tote bag, especially if you're carrying a laptop, lunch, a bottle, and a notebook. Just make sure it has all the features you really need to be as comfortable as possible, as well as being a nice size, of good comfort, and also quite durable.

As for your question about how paper/book intensive uni life is, it really depends on your course. Some courses are more demanding than others in terms of the amount of reading and writing you'll be doing. But in general, you'll probably be carrying around a fair amount of books and papers, or just laptop and few books.
For economics, I'm always using my laptop and bringing a few notebooks depending on how many lectures and seminars I'll be having on the day, very rarely bringing a textbook with me, unless its maybe for a seminar I forgot to study for.

I will say though, if it turns out later that a tote bag is better or that's just what you feel more comfortable with using, then absolutely go ahead with that as well. However in my experience, backpacks have always felt more comfortable, been easier to pack and handle, and also just look better.

Hope this helps :smile:

David :smile:
Original post by jaankiii
Hi

Hi @jaankiii,

I would recommend looking into getting a backpack and seeing how you like it compared to a purse/tote.

Personally I use a Swiss Gear backpack, and while they're a little pricey, they are fantastic. There's plenty of space for books, notepads, and your laptop, as well as enough room in the main pocket for anything else you might bring to university and on your commute. The front pocket on my backpack also has a small elasticated loop which attaches to the zipper, and makes it difficult to open (great for keeping your things secure on the underground). Good quality backpacks often have padding and are designed to be supportive, so that may help in reducing or eliminating your shoulder pain.

As to whether uni life is paper/book intensive, that depends on your course. It would be good to have the option of more space with a backpack, then shoulder pain and limited space with a tote. I also like having a sturdy backpack as I can use it for field trips with my course and other travel.

If you decide that you prefer the purse/tote bag in the end - that's okay! Plenty of people use them for university, it just depends on your travel/commute, course load, and personal needs.

I hope this helps!
Isabella

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending