The Student Room Group

The Physics PHYA2 thread! 5th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HenryD
Yeah I would think they'd be able to recognize that.

Thanks!

I just realised I put

"90 out of phase
270 out of phase"

For the phase difference question. I think I might have forgot the degrees afterwards, will I still get the marks as its clear what I mean?
Reply 2301
guys you know for the power question i used the force they gave me *distance and divide it by 55s.

then i did this divide by the power they gave and worked out efficiency - is this wrong:/
Original post by Boop.
Did anyone notice that the drawing graph question was the same as Q3b on this June 2009 paper? http://www.gcephysics.com/past-papers/AQA-PHYA2-W-QP-JUN09.PDF

Are you certain that's how it's supposed to be drawn? I can't remember the question that well, but I drew that exact graph. Mainly because I remembered that graph and thought it would be better to draw something as opposed to leaving it blank :tongue:
Original post by mathsRus
I don't think the intensity would really matter as long as you drew the fringes further apart from the original blue one.

I drew what is above?
Original post by lebron_23
I'm pretty sure anything above 51 will hit the A mark, perhaps even 50 so don't worry too much. A mark of 52 is still very good considering the paper, and like you said you're probably taking marks off. You'll be fine.

I just realised I put

"90 out of phase
270 out of phase"

For the phase difference question. I think I might have forgot the degrees afterwards, will I still get the marks as its clear what I mean?
I've just about managed to finalise the mark scheme now, but as it says, I think I've given an extra mark to one of the questions somewhere. Again, any corrections are welcome and greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I'm also still clueless as to what the second part of question 7 was, I think it was the intensity graph, but not too sure.

EDIT2EDIT^2: Its now complete, thank you .raiden. and HenryD for clearing that up.

re q4, wasn't 0.44 the mass of the ball?
I continuously got the calculations wrong!!!!! I probably got 30 max! Omg!! I'm really worried ill have to retake the year... At another school- would this really affect what uni I can get into?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2307
Original post by reemaisthinking
I continuously got the calculations wrong!!!!! I probably got 30 max! Omg!! I'm really worried ill have to retake the year... At another school- would this really affect what uni I can get into?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No don't worry :smile: There was about 6 people who retook the year at my school and they all got all their university offers and some are on As now :smile: Its fine retaking a few exams though. I wouldn't restart unless you really have to. There are a few unis (such as Edinburgh and Glasgow) who say your A levels need to be taken within 2 years, but most English universities are fine with it to my knowledge :smile:

Also on my unit 4 exam I got nearly every calculation wrong and still came out with a B miraculously and I was positive I had failed. I even got my paper back and throughout constantly had wrong answers but had picked marks up somehow. Don't worry until your results! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2308
Original post by Aarongreatbanks
Thanks!

I just realised I put

"90 out of phase
270 out of phase"

Probably ok.
Original post by HenryD
Probably ok.

In marks schemes they have

"180(degrees out of phase)"

So to me that suggests as long as you have the correct number it should be fine?
I just realised I put

"90 out of phase
270 out of phase"

Yes I don't see why you won't be awarded marks there. I'd imagine anything with '90' and '270' would be awarded the full marks.

Original post by jjsmusicman13
re q4, wasn't 0.44 the mass of the ball?

I cannot be too sure, but I remember getting 0.0448.. as my mass, and so that multiplied by gravity would give 0.44N as the weight. Again, I'm not entirely sure so don't quote me on that.
(edited 10 years ago)
Yes I don't see why you won't be awarded marks there. I'd imagine anything with '90' and '270' would be awarded the full marks.

I cannot be too sure, but I remember getting 0.0448.. as my mass, and so that multiplied by gravity would give 0.44N as the weight. Again, I'm not entry let sure so don't quote me on that.

Ahh okay so you'd say Id get full here then? Thanks
Ahh okay so you'd say Id get full here then? Thanks

Yes, the examiners would have to be heartless indeed not to give you the marks err :tongue:
Does anyone know where I can find all the correct answers in one place?
Yes, the examiners would have to be heartless indeed not to give you the marks err :tongue:

Okay thank you for your help
Original post by Joesteers
Does anyone know where I can find all the correct answers in one place?

The unofficial mark scheme can be found in the first post. However, not all of the answers are guaranteed to be correct, but it'll give you a good idea of how you've done.

Okay thank you for your help

No problem, glad I could help :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by .raiden.
By looking at the poll and given opinions on the exam I would personally predict:

A - 49 (edited from 50 as it seems more people found this exam tough than I initially thought)
B - 44
C - 37
D - 33
E - 28

I think if I take single mark off I think I lost I get 50. I think if I'm realistic with the marking it's about 55! With the range of results will 50-55 be enough for 92UMS
I think if I take single mark off I think I lost I get 50. I think if I'm realistic with the marking it's about 55! With the range of results will 50-55 be enough for 92UMS

Definitely enough for 92 UMS! That's like a low B aha :smile: it's out of 120, and grade boundaries are like in the low 50: (generally) for an A :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SortYourLife
Definitely enough for 92 UMS! That's like a low B aha :smile: it's out of 120, and grade boundaries are like in the low 50: (generally) for an A :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay thanks!
is there a markscheme for this??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending