The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Accommodation Booking for UG 2023 cohort

From UCL's website, it says if online accommodation booking is done by 10 Jun in the year of study, undergraduates holding an unconditional offer will be contacted in July / September.

IB students' results come out around 5th Jul and hence become unconditional only then. So this means that IB students do not get early accommodation allocations ahead of the A Levels students receiving results in August?

Is there any advantage firming UCL early and booking for accommodation early then?
Original post by Anonymous
From UCL's website, it says if online accommodation booking is done by 10 Jun in the year of study, undergraduates holding an unconditional offer will be contacted in July / September.

IB students' results come out around 5th Jul and hence become unconditional only then. So this means that IB students do not get early accommodation allocations ahead of the A Levels students receiving results in August?

Is there any advantage firming UCL early and booking for accommodation early then?

I am confused by your question, you haven't mentioned firming the university is anywhere in their allocation policy.
You have mentioned unconditional offers, not firm offers.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by 04MR17
I am confused by your question, you haven't mentioned firming the university is anywhere in their allocation policy.
You have mentioned unconditional offers, not firm offers.

Sorry, I missed out the part about firming UCL's offer. Yes, I have to firm UCL's offer before 10th June. Only then can I start to make my online booking. So my question is, having made the online booking before 10th June, results out around 5th Jul, will I be allocated my room in Jul ahead of the A levels students getting their results, or will I also be batched with A level students and getting accommodation only in Sep?

Forgot to mention too that I am an international student and the tight timeline is scaring me. What if I don't get any student accommodation?
Sorry, I missed out the part about firming UCL's offer. Yes, I have to firm UCL's offer before 10th June. Only then can I start to make my online booking. So my question is, having made the online booking before 10th June, results out around 5th Jul, will I be allocated my room in Jul ahead of the A levels students getting their results, or will I also be batched with A level students and getting accommodation only in Sep?

Forgot to mention too that I am an international student and the tight timeline is scaring me. What if I don't get any student accommodation?

Thanks for the detail, it is very helpful. A few things to consider:

- Most universities will prioritise international students for allocations because they have to travel to the UK and move in somewhere, not just get on a motorway.

- IB students results come out around 5th July. IB students holding conditional offers then have their offers become unconditional. There is also a portion of applicants (with IB and without) who are holding an unconditional offer regardless of what happens on 5th July.

- There seems to be no advantage to booking accommodation early, so long as it is done by 10th June. However, I always recommend doing it considerably earlier than that just for peace of mind.

- If "undergraduates holding an unconditional offer will be contacted in July / September", then UCL will need to be contacting someone in July - that may well be IB students and other unconditionals.

The policy doesn't make clear if they allocate all IB applicants accommodation before A-Level applicants. My recommendation would be emailing the accommodation team to ask.
Original post by 04MR17
Thanks for the detail, it is very helpful. A few things to consider:

- Most universities will prioritise international students for allocations because they have to travel to the UK and move in somewhere, not just get on a motorway.

- IB students results come out around 5th July. IB students holding conditional offers then have their offers become unconditional. There is also a portion of applicants (with IB and without) who are holding an unconditional offer regardless of what happens on 5th July.

- There seems to be no advantage to booking accommodation early, so long as it is done by 10th June. However, I always recommend doing it considerably earlier than that just for peace of mind.

- If "undergraduates holding an unconditional offer will be contacted in July / September", then UCL will need to be contacting someone in July - that may well be IB students and other unconditionals.

The policy doesn't make clear if they allocate all IB applicants accommodation before A-Level applicants. My recommendation would be emailing the accommodation team to ask.

Thank you! You are incredibly detailed in your reply! I really appreciate it. I will email UCL accommodation to find out more! Thanks once again!
hey what should i do UCL was my insurance so never had the chance to book accom and now im going there and have no options - does anyone have any advice
Original post by lakshinator
hey what should i do UCL was my insurance so never had the chance to book accom and now im going there and have no options - does anyone have any advice

Okay, I'm going to be abrupt because I think that's what's needed:
Step 1 - ring the university accommodation team and ask what your options are. Join a waitlist if you can.
Step 2 - shoot an email to the UCL students' union advice team/service and ask them to point you towards trusted alternative accommodation
Step 3 - Get researching and looking for opportunities

If you have further questions @CheeseIsVeg would be a good person to ask for tricky accommodation things
Original post by lakshinator

I’m in the same situation the waiting list opens on the 5th of September which is so frustrating
Hi, I've paid my deposit towards UCL accomodation on friday and I was wondering if the payment actually went through because I don't think it has shown up on portico, and the only confirmation that I have right now is the screenshot of the payment page. Does UCL send a confirmation email or does portico update after a few days? Thanks!
Hey all, submitted my application in May and firmed it before the 10th June, had results day last week, but my accommodation application is still pending. Is this normal?
Original post by germanium6399
Hi, I've paid my deposit towards UCL accomodation on friday and I was wondering if the payment actually went through because I don't think it has shown up on portico, and the only confirmation that I have right now is the screenshot of the payment page. Does UCL send a confirmation email or does portico update after a few days? Thanks!

Has the money left your bank account?
Original post by 04MR17
Has the money left your bank account?

Yes, it has. I've also got a screenshot of the payment outcome but it hasn't been credited to my student account yet.
Yes, it has. I've also got a screenshot of the payment outcome but it hasn't been credited to my student account yet.

You can try ringing up the finance team, but as long as you've paid the correct thing to the correct person then you are safe.
Original post by 04MR17
You can try ringing up the finance team, but as long as you've paid the correct thing to the correct person then you are safe.

I guess I'd just wait for one more day and if it still hasn't been credited to my account I'd ring them up. Thank you so much for your help!
Original post by 04MR17

Hi, sorry for another question, but UCL portico just updated and it showed that my payment has gone through, but it stated that the academic year is 2022. Should I still ring the finance team?
Hi, sorry for another question, but UCL portico just updated and it showed that my payment has gone through, but it stated that the academic year is 2022. Should I still ring the finance team?

No, it's probably just an admin error don't worry.

I'm going to get rid of the other thread you made by the way, as the question has been answered.

That okay?
Yes, thank you very much!
Original post by 04MR17
No, it's probably just an admin error don't worry.

I'm going to get rid of the other thread you made by the way, as the question has been answered.

That okay?
Yes, thank you very much!

Binned :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending