The Student Room Group

The Proof is Trivial!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ukdragon37
I'm not worried because they've already gone past and I know their results. 25th would be my dissertation and therefore entire Part III result. :tongue:

I need 62.1 in my dissertation for a distinction in Part III due to exam results, 60 being the passmark (so between that and 62.1 would mean merit overall). I need to get over the passmark in the dissertation to get any grade overall, that's the part I'm worried about :colondollar:

They already gave you the exam results? That's weird. You did really well though - I hope you do get your distinction!

Original post by jack.hadamard

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 1681
Original post by james22
Solution 239

Consider a circle of radius r, circumference c.

Enclose the circle by a regular n-gon in such a way that the distance between the center of each face=r (any issues about this not being exactly possible should go when we take the limit).

Each face form a triange with the cente, this triangle has base c/n and height r so it has area cr/(2n).

The total area of the polygon is then cr/2.

Let n->infinity so the polygon->the circle and area=cr/2=pi*2*r*r/2=pi*r^2.

Isn't this Archimedes method of exhaustion?
Original post by shamika
They already gave you the exam results? That's weird. You did really well though - I hope you do get your distinction!

Thanks! The exams were held at the start of this and last term.
Reply 1683
Original post by Mladenov
There probably is. :tongue:

As all the possible pairs consist of consecutive Fibonacci numbers, I found it obvious that the required maximum is 9873+15973987^3+1597^3.

How is information of the two largest Fibonacci numbers below 2013 obvious? :lol: Granted you don't have to show working but you should at least write them down bro :tongue:

And also, you haven't justified that the all solutions are Fibonacci which requires a fair bit of work and can certainly not be stated as a property of the identity you used. I can only assume an IMO examiner would have started at 7 and knocked off 1, 2 or 3 marks even if you did actually write the solution. Do you not agree?

Here is my proof:

Solution 233 (2)

First we say that nm n,mn \ge m \ \forall n, m without loss of generality. This is because, for any solution (na,ma)(n_a, m_a) there exists a solution (ma,na)(m_a,n_a) as (na2namama2)2=(ma2manana2)2=1(n^2_a-n_a m_a -m^2_a)^2=(m^2_a-m_a n_a - n^2_a)^2=1.

Noting that (n2nmm2)2=((n+m)2(n+m)nn2)2\displaystyle (n^2-nm-m^2)^2=((n+m)^2-(n+m)n-n^2)^2, we deduce that, if (na,ma)(n_a , m_a) is a solution, so too is (na+ma,na)(n_a+m_a , n_a). If we restrict the values of nan_a and mam_a to be positive integers, we can see that the sum of the cubes of the second expression is greater than that of the first.

We now observe that a trivial solution is (1,1)(1,1). From the formula derived above, combined with nmn \ge m and the fact that the combined sum of the solutions are increasing, we deduce that, if we assume (1,1)(1,1) to be the base case (a=1), that there exists an increasing sequence SaS_a such that all solutions are of the form (Sa,Sa1)(S_a , S_{a-1}). By using the formula above once more, we get that (Sa+1,Sa)=(Sa+Sa1,Sa)(S_{a+1}, S_{a})=(S_a+S_{a-1}, S_{a}) which implies that Sa+1=Sa+Sa1S_{a+1}=S_a+S{a-1}. As the sum of the cubes increases as a increases, we seek the largest pair of consecutive terms that are both below 2013. Given the base case we have defined, we note that the sequence SS is equivalent to the Fibonacci sequence.

All solutions (na,ma)(n_a, m_a) are co-prime. We prove this as follows. Assume na,man_a , m_a have common factor z. Then for positive integers p, q, we have that (zp)2(zp)(zq)(zq)2=±1z2(p2pqq2)=±1(zp)^2-(zp)(zq)-(zq)^2= \pm 1 \Rightarrow z^2(p^2-pq-q^2)= \pm 1. Noticing the symmetry with the last problem, we deduce that, z=±1z= \pm 1. As [tez] z \not= -1 can be observed from substation, we must deduce that z=1z=1 and hence all solutions are co-prime.

As all solutions are co-prime, that means that we can using Euclidean's algorithm combined with the recurrence relation to show that all solutions imply a 'base' solution whereby one of the numbers is 1.

Assume there exists a separate base case of the form (λ,1)(\lambda,1). This gives us that (λ2λ1)2=1(\lambda^2-\lambda-1)^2= 1 which gives us that λ(λ1)=0\lambda(\lambda-1)=0 or (λ2)(λ+1)=0(\lambda-2)(\lambda+1)=0. Therefore the base cases we have are (0,1), (1,1), (2,1)(0,1), \ (-1,1), \ (2,1). The first case increases to be a part of SS, the second cases forms a sequence equal to the negative values of SS and the third case is itself a part of S. Hence all integer solutions are Fibonacci numbers or the negative of them. We can dismiss the negative values as the sum of two cubes of such numbers would be negative.

Therefore all candidate solutions are in the Fibonacci sequence. Continued adding gives three consecutive terms as 987, 1597 as 2584. As the sequence is increasing, max(n3+m3)=9873+15973=5034507976 max(n^3+m^3)=987^3+1597^3=5034507976 \ \square

Solution 233 (3)

Applying the same restrictions to n and m and justifying that they do not decrease the generality of the solution, we get the quadratic equation n2nm(m2±1)=0n=m+5m2+42n^2-nm-(m^2 \pm 1)=0 \Rightarrow n=\frac{m+\sqrt{5m^2+4}}{2}. From this we can see that, for n to be an integer, we require that 5m2±4\sqrt{5m^2 \pm 4} is an odd integer. If it is an integer, it is clearly odd, we we say, for xNx \in N (positivity being assumed without any loss of generality), 5m2±4=x25m^2 \pm 4=x^2 where we now maximise (AM(m,x))3+m3(AM(m,x))^3+m^3. Using standard techniques for evaluating the Pell equation (etc...) gives us the values of m and x from which we obtain the desired result of 5034507976 5034507976 \ \square
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1684
Original post by james22
Solution 239

Consider a circle of radius r, circumference c.

Enclose the circle by a regular n-gon in such a way that the distance between the center of each face=r (any issues about this not being exactly possible should go when we take the limit).

Each face form a triange with the cente, this triangle has base c/n and height r so it has area cr/(2n).

The total area of the polygon is then cr/2.

Let n->infinity so the polygon->the circle and area=cr/2=pi*2*r*r/2=pi*r^2.

-snip-

Ignore that, I've just realised that the dimension of the perimeter doesn't affect the area when it approaches that shape. That said, I would still rather an upper and lower bound for the sake of rigour :tongue:

Oh and remember that there is a second part to the problem! :wink:

Edit 2: This is actually really bothering me :frown: Does the area of a shape that touches another shape in n places whereby all other points on the line are of a distance at most d from the other shape and has the property that d0d \to 0 as nn \to \infty approach the area of the other shape, (given that both shapes are not self intersecting of course)? :/ ARGHHHAHHFHHFdhsdfksdfkshd Is there a counterexample we can find from these definitions? :/ ARGHSHFSHFdsfkshdf

Edit 3 (sorry lol): Just noticed that you have assumed that the base of the triangle is c/nc/n. This is only true on the limit and not the general case (hence a circular argument).
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by shamika

Spoiler

Yes, I did, but still thought the answer was kind of irritating. :tongue:

Spoiler

Original post by Jkn
How is information of the two largest Fibonacci numbers below 2013 obvious? :lol: Granted you don't have to show working but you should at least write them down bro :tongue:

And also, you haven't justified that the all solutions are Fibonacci which requires a fair bit of work and can certainly not be stated as a property of the identity you used. I can only assume an IMO examiner would have started at 7 and knocked off 1, 2 or 3 marks even if you did actually write the solution. Do you not agree?

You want me to write down all the Fibonacci numbers which are smaller than 20132013? We have1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,34,55,89,144,233,377,610,987,1597\begin{aligned} 1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,34,55,89,144,233,377,610,987,1597 \end{aligned}.

Actually, I have shown exactly this, by two ways.

I am going to write down my complete solution.

First proposition: All consecutive Fibonacci numbers satisfy n2mnm2=±1n^{2}-mn-m^{2}= \pm 1. Denote their set by TT.

Lemma: If (m,n)(m,n) is a solution to n2mnm2=±1n^{2}-mn-m^{2}= \pm 1, then so is (n,m+n)(n,m+n).

Clearly, m2+2mn+n2n2mnn2=m2+mnn2=±1m^{2}+2mn+n^{2}-n^{2}-mn-n^{2} = m^{2}+mn-n^{2}=\pm 1.

Notice that (1,1)(1,1) is a solution, and (1,1)T(1,1) \in T. Suppose that all Fibonacci numbers up to (Fk1,Fk)(F_{k-1},F_{k}) satisfy n2mnm2=±1n^{2}-mn-m^{2}= \pm 1. From our lemma, it follows that (Fk,Fk+1)(F_{k},F_{k+1}) is a solution. Indeed, (Fk,Fk1+Fk)=(Fk,Fk+1)(F_{k},F_{k-1}+F_{k})= (F_{k},F_{k+1}).

Second proposition: All solutions to n2mnm2=±1n^{2}-mn-m^{2}= \pm 1 belong to the set TT.

We note that n=1n=1 gives m=1m=1, and this is in TT.

Suppose the contrary. Let (m,n)(m,n) be a solution, which does not belong to the set TT, such that m+nm+n is minimal. Next, we suppose mn>1m \ge n>1. We then see that (n2mnm2)2=(m2n(nm))2>m4>1(n^{2}-mn-m^{2})^{2} = (m^{2}-n(n-m))^{2} > m^{4} > 1 - contradiction. Thus, m<nm < n. Hence, (nm,m)(n-m,m) is a solution with smaller sum, implying that it is in TT. Denote nm=Fkn-m=F_{k} and m=Fk+1m=F_{k+1}, which gives n=Fk+2n=F_{k+2}, so (m,n)T(m,n) \in T - contradiction.
Apropos, we can suppose that (m,n)(m,n) is a solution, not in TT, such that mm is minimal. We get (nm,m)(n-m,m) is a solution. Then, if nmmn-m \ge m, we have n2mn \ge 2m and n2mnm2=n(nm)m2m2>1n^{2}-mn-m^{2} = n(n-m)-m^{2} \ge m^{2} > 1 - contradiction. Hence (nm,m)T(n-m,m) \in T....

To summarize: All solutions to n2mnm2=±1n^{2}-mn-m^{2}= \pm 1 consist of consecutive pairs of Fibonacci numbers.

I have already written all Fibonacci numbers, which are smaller than 20132013.

Conclusion: the maximum value of m3+n3m^{3}+n^{3} is 9873+15973987^{3}+1597^{3}.

If it is yet not clear, I am to give up.:biggrin:

By the way, how do you find all solutions to the diophantine equation which you have obtained in your second solution?
Why don't you move to a different problem? :tongue:

Problem 240 * / **

Find all nNn \in \mathbb{N} for which 22222n  3\underbrace{ 2^{2^{2^{2^{{\cdot}^{\cdot 2}}}}} }_{n}\ -\ 3 is a perfect cube.

Problem 240 * / **

Find all nNn \in \mathbb{N} for which 22222n  3\underbrace{ 2^{2^{2^{2^{{\cdot}^{\cdot 2}}}}} }_{n}\ -\ 3 is a perfect cube.

I was just to write a solution. Give me 20 minutes.:tongue:

By the way, your first formulation was better.
By the way, your first formulation was better.

How do you know what my first formulation was (I didn't edit)? :tongue:
How do you know what my first formulation was (I didn't edit)? :tongue:

I mean, IMO 1981 problem 6, and more specifically, your modification.:tongue:
I mean, IMO 1981 problem 6, and more specifically, your modification.:tongue:

Oh, I see. I was worried that my computer leaks. :biggrin:
Reply 1692
You want me to write down all the Fibonacci numbers which are smaller than 20132013? We have1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,34,55,89,144,233,377,610,987,1597\begin{aligned} 1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,34,55,89,144,233,377,610,987,1597 \end{aligned}.

:pierre:

Spoiler

Very clear, yes :biggrin: (now all you need to do is write all your solutions like that! :wink: )

I particularly like your elegant approach to proving that no non-Fibonacci solutions exist. :smile:
By the way, how do you find all solutions to the diophantine equation which you have obtained in your second solution?

I didn't think it was very interesting (don't only put that solution down as a what if, lmao). There's an algorithm, you might be interested in section 3 of this (it then goes on to solve the generalised form) :tongue:

It has, however, occurred to me that you could, for the variable m, show that if x and y are solutions, so too is x+y (hence deducing that m is fibonacci).
Original post by Jkn
-snip-

Ignore that, I've just realised that the dimension of the perimeter doesn't affect the area when it approaches that shape. That said, I would still rather an upper and lower bound for the sake of rigour :tongue:

Oh and remember that there is a second part to the problem! :wink:

Edit 2: This is actually really bothering me :frown: Does the area of a shape that touches another shape in n places whereby all other points on the line are of a distance at most d from the other shape and has the property that d0d \to 0 as nn \to \infty approach the area of the other shape, (given that both shapes are not self intersecting of course)? :/ ARGHHHAHHFHHFdhsdfksdfkshd Is there a counterexample we can find from these definitions? :/ ARGHSHFSHFdsfkshdf

Edit 3 (sorry lol): Just noticed that you have assumed that the base of the triangle is c/nc/n. This is only true on the limit and not the general case (hence a circular argument).

I haven't done it very rigorously. When i used c I actually meant it as the perimeter of the polygon, and asusmed that the perimeter aproached the circumference as n->infinity.
Reply 1694

Problem 240 * / **

Does this require a (decent) knowledge of modular arithmetic or anything like that? i.e. is the * solution reasonably findable?

Spoiler

Original post by james22
I haven't done it very rigorously. When i used c I actually meant it as the perimeter of the polygon, and asusmed that the perimeter aproached the circumference as n->infinity.

Oh right! :lol:

Well you're method is right, so if you polish it a little and then add in the lemma, I will be content :wink:
Solution 240

Define sn+1=2sns_{n+1}=2^{s_n} with s0=1s_0=1. The claim is that n>2:  sn7(9)n>2:\;s_n\equiv 7\pod{9}. Clearly holds for n=3n=3, suppose true for some k>2,  sk=7+9mk>2,\;s_k=7+9m. Then sk+129m+1(9)s_{k+1}\equiv 2^{9m+1}\pod{9}. It is very easy to check that this is 7(9)7\pod{9} when mm is odd and 2(9)2\pod{9} otherwise. Since mm is clearly odd we are done. Given that q30,1,8(9)q^3\equiv 0,1,8\pod{9} the only cubes are s13,s23s_1-3,s_2-3.

Original post by Jkn
This is actually really bothering me :frown: Does the area of a shape that touches another shape in n places whereby all other points on the line are of a distance at most d from the other shape and has the property that d0d \to 0 as nn \to \infty approach the area of the other shape, (given that both shapes are not self intersecting of course)?

If I have correctly understood what you mean, yes the limiting area is that of the other shape, but the limiting perimeter need not be.

The calculus version asks whether over some interval (a,b)(a,b) and for two functions sequences of continuous functions the following is true: dn=maxaxbfn(x)gn(x)0abfn(x)gn(x)dx0\displaystyle d_n=\underset{a\leq x\leq b}{\text{max}}\big| |f_n(x)|-|g_n(x)|\big|\to 0\Rightarrow \displaystyle\int_a^b \big||f_n(x)|-|g_n(x)|\big|\,dx\to 0 as nn\to\infty, which it clearly is:

0abfn(x)gn(x)dxabmaxaxbfn(x)gn(x)dx=(ba)dn0\displaystyle 0\leq \int_a^b \big||f_n(x)|-|g_n(x)|\big|\,dx\leq \int_a^b \underset{a\leq x\leq b}{\text{max}}\big||f_n(x)|-|g_n(x)|\big|\,dx=(b-a)d_n\to 0

On the other hand, the arc-length of a function ff is ab(f2(x)+1)12dx\displaystyle \int_a^b \Big(f'^2(x)+1\Big)^{\frac{1}{2}}\,dx
Just because abfn\displaystyle \int_a^b |f_n| and abgn\displaystyle \int_a^b |g_n| tend to the same thing doesn't imply that ab(fn2+1)12\displaystyle \int_a^b \Big(f'^2_n+1\Big)^{\frac{1}{2}} and ab(gn2+1)12\displaystyle \int_a^b \Big(g'^2_n+1\Big)^{\frac{1}{2}} behave the same.

Take fn(x)=1n(cosnx+1)f_n(x)=\frac{1}{n}(\cos n x+1) and gn(x)=0g_n(x)=0 over (0,π)(0,\pi) for instance. Here dn=2n10d_n=2n^{-1}\to 0, the areas tend to 0 0, yet the length of the first curve fnf_n is >π>\pi even at the limit (I have chosen the function so that it mimics the "circle approximation paradox" you posted: the length of fnf_n is in fact constant).
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Jkn

Does this require a (decent) knowledge of modular arithmetic or anything like that? i.e. is the * solution reasonably findable?

By writing one star, I don't claim the solution can be found easily, but that it exists. :tongue:

Original post by Lord of the Flies
Solution 240

Then sk+129m+1(9)s_{k+1}\equiv 2^{9m+1}\pod{9}. It is very easy to check that this is 7(9)7\pod{9} when mm is odd and 2(9)2\pod{9} otherwise.

Very well! Alternatively, if 222n7 (9)2^{2^{2n}} \equiv 7\ (9), then 222(n+1)(2)227 (9)2^{2^{2(n+1)}} \equiv (-2)^{2^2} \equiv 7\ (9).
Problem 241 * / **

i) Find sin(π5)\displaystyle \sin \left(\frac{\pi}{5}\right).

ii) Prove that πϕ>5\displaystyle \pi \phi > 5, where ϕ\phi is the golden ratio.

I made this problem up and it is not straightforward for a single star.
Problem 241 * / **

i) Find sin(π5)\displaystyle \sin \left(\frac{\pi}{5}\right).

ii) Prove that πϕ>5\displaystyle \pi \phi > 5, where ϕ\phi is the golden ratio.

I made this problem up and it is not straightforward for a single star.

Time for the most inelegant solution on this thread (but it's all I can come up with in my hungover state):

to be perfectly honest this question is 'easy' as you can use well known approximations for both π\pi and 5\sqrt{5} and some simple mental arithmetic to solve it. Adding a hence to the second part would make it better imho.

The first part is pretty easy using sum formulae of sin and cos.

Then πϕ\pi \phi
=π(1+5)/2= \pi (1+ \sqrt{5})/2
>354/113.(1+360/161)/2>354/113 . (1+360/161)/2
=92217/18193=92217/18193
>5>5.

I'll look for the intended solution when I've recovered. :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)
I've posted this problem before (not on this thread)

Problem 242 * and basic continuity knowhow

Let f:(ϕ/2,ϕ/2)Rf: (- \phi/2, \phi/2) \to R be a continuous function satisfying 2xf(x)=f(2x21)x2xf(x)=f(2x^2-1) \forall x in the domain. Determine all possible f.

HINT:

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest