The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL 3(?) Practical Advice...

Hi All,

Not wanting to know the content of the exam, but as a private candidate I have no idea what the practical exam consists of? Aparently you do two different things but I'm not sure what that means - so if anyone has any hints or tips of what I might expect (not content related please) that would be much apprecaited.

I'm a private candidate left school in 2001 and there weren't such practical exams when I did my GCSE's so I'm completely dumbfounded as to what actually happens - are the conditions the same? Do you work alone? Are you only allowed a pencil case or are there any books allowed? Can you talk? Am I supposed to know every way possible of examining everything practically i.e. test for starch/protein etc. and the dud experiment that you to check that the results you are getting from the real experiment are real - like if it's something to do with PH to use a buffer in the "dud" I forget what that technical term is.
Reply 1
Hi, sorry to be a pain but I am "bumping" this thread for some advice - I actually have no idea what the practical test is - I'm guessing that some Sixth Formers here has done mack practical exams and know the structure and what is expected?!

I am going into this completely blind, I have only paid for exams and haven't paid for any tuition because I simply can't afford it - again I don't want to know what this years practical exam is on if you've done it already - so please don't tell me and get yourself into trouble with TSR.

I would like just some handy hints and tips as to what actually happens in this practcal exam - obviously I do an experiment - I've worked that out - I just don't really understand how the session is delivered....

Thanks again in advance - assistance greatly appreciated x
Reply 2
Any ideas? I have less than a week to go I've found past papers with the questions but I'm more interested in what one does in the practical exam...obv. the practical is set but is there some sort of format/structure to the session?
Reply 3
Original post by ashabumbleb
Any ideas? I have less than a week to go I've found past papers with the questions but I'm more interested in what one does in the practical exam...obv. the practical is set but is there some sort of format/structure to the session?

Hi, I did the first task of the practical today and it is VERY clear on what you need to do as long as you follow the instructions clearly you should be fine.
Reply 4
Original post by Secret.
Hi, I did the first task of the practical today and it is VERY clear on what you need to do as long as you follow the instructions clearly you should be fine.

Brilliant, thank you. I got a bief outline on Wednesday (1 week before exam) so now online looking up experiments that it could possibally be - the internet is great for this kind of thing - I do however have a lot to brush up on as I haven't done any science since sitting BIOL1 in January.

So there are two parts - is the second part the written exam or is there something else? My brother said you do the experiment and then you do it again or something? I'm not really sure I'm doing the whole thing in one day - how long does it last?

Apologies for all the questions I just have ABSOLUTELY NOT A SCOOBY!!

And thank you fo your reply - it helps that they tell you what you have to do - phew!! I had thought it might be a case of "find out this" and this is the list of stuff and what you do from there is your own best guess...!!
Reply 5
Original post by ashabumbleb
Brilliant, thank you. I got a bief outline on Wednesday (1 week before exam) so now online looking up experiments that it could possibally be - the internet is great for this kind of thing - I do however have a lot to brush up on as I haven't done any science since sitting BIOL1 in January.

So there are two parts - is the second part the written exam or is there something else? My brother said you do the experiment and then you do it again or something? I'm not really sure I'm doing the whole thing in one day - how long does it last?

Apologies for all the questions I just have ABSOLUTELY NOT A SCOOBY!!

And thank you fo your reply - it helps that they tell you what you have to do - phew!! I had thought it might be a case of "find out this" and this is the list of stuff and what you do from there is your own best guess...!!

Yeah there are 2 tasks and then the written exam on a date the centre will tell you. The first task took me (and nearly everyone else I know) around 15 minutes, its really short and quick. I've not done the second task yet but it does take a little longer, our teacher told us it could span over 2 lessons as its usually the same experiment but with other things to it and you may have to draw a graph and answer some more questions in task 2. Hope this helps :biggrin:
Reply 6
Thanks sooo much for your help. As a private candidate I have to do the whole lot in one day - eeek - I don't know if I am looking forward to it or not - just need to brush up on the topic - currently doing past papers but as they're not the right topic it's hard to relate the answers t it - I think I just need to read questions properly and make sure I've understood what they're asking - it's the describe and explain questions that get me....always get them confused....still seeing my brother tomorrow night he aced his biology exams so if anyone can help me make the grade its him :smile:

Thans very much for your help folks x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending