The Student Room Group

Failing biology A-level

I am 4 months away from my A-level exams and I have just received a U in my last biology mock. This came as a shock to me because I spent around 2 months revising for this exam, where in the 3 weeks before the exam I would revise 3 hours a day on average (for biology alone). I don't understand what I did wrong. I went over all the content and did exam practice. My parents have told me that 3 hours a dah is not enough and that I should increase how much I revise significantly. How many hours should I revise a day for OCR biology and what are some revision techniques which may aid me? I would apprectiagte any pieces of advice.
Original post by dilfmuncher_18
I am 4 months away from my A-level exams and I have just received a U in my last biology mock. This came as a shock to me because I spent around 2 months revising for this exam, where in the 3 weeks before the exam I would revise 3 hours a day on average (for biology alone). I don't understand what I did wrong. I went over all the content and did exam practice. My parents have told me that 3 hours a dah is not enough and that I should increase how much I revise significantly. How many hours should I revise a day for OCR biology and what are some revision techniques which may aid me? I would apprectiagte any pieces of advice.

How are you revising when you are not doing exam practise? It's all well and good spending loads of time revising, but you need to focus on the quality of your revision and you need to make sure you are eating and sleeping properly.
I am doing biology A level too (AQA not OCR but I sure it isn’t too different) what kind of methods are you using to revise? Personally I make flashcards as a lot of AQAs biology content is just fact recall and in exams it makes it a lot easier when answering questions when I know the content off by heart if that makes sense.
Original post by flowersinmyhair
How are you revising when you are not doing exam practise? It's all well and good spending loads of time revising, but you need to focus on the quality of your revision and you need to make sure you are eating and sleeping properly.

Honestly, I just make loads of notes. I spend a lot of time on uplearn too. I think maybe the fact that I am too intimidated to do exam questions may be hindering me.
Original post by Futuredoc0808
I am doing biology A level too (AQA not OCR but I sure it isn’t too different) what kind of methods are you using to revise? Personally I make flashcards as a lot of AQAs biology content is just fact recall and in exams it makes it a lot easier when answering questions when I know the content off by heart if that makes sense.

I mostly make notes and watch videos.
Original post by dilfmuncher_18
Honestly, I just make loads of notes. I spend a lot of time on uplearn too. I think maybe the fact that I am too intimidated to do exam questions may be hindering me.

I think making flashcards may be beneficial and using them because it uses active recall. You should also be doing lots of exam questions so that you know what sorts of things you are likely to get in the exam.

Quick Reply

Latest