The Student Room Group

A level English Literature Revision

Hey guys,
I am doing english a level and am currently on a B but really want to bring it up. What can I do as revision for english or how do I raise my grade. Any tips would be much appreciated!
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by maryam_nadine
Hey guys,
I am doing english a level and am currently on a B but really want to bring it up. What can I do as revision for english or how do I raise my grade. Any tips would be much appreciated!

Hi - kind of depends on exam board but here are a few initial tips:

1. Ensure you're absolutely solid on the texts you're studying and what happens where. There's been a trend in exam questions in the past few years to talk about settings, beginnings, endings etc so ensure you're strong here!

2. 'Practice being in the exam'. This obviously extends to practice essay plans, but also looking at previous examiner report / model essays etc to see the characteristics of an A/A* response. The better you are at writing and planning in timed conditions, the more fluid and expert your response will be on the day.

3. More specific to particular topics, but AO3/5 (context and critics) are super essential at A-Level. Look out for journal articles or soundbites from particular critics that will make your response stand out.

If you want more specific advice about particular boards / questions etc, let me know.
Reply 2
Original post by joesstuff
Hi - kind of depends on exam board but here are a few initial tips:

1. Ensure you're absolutely solid on the texts you're studying and what happens where. There's been a trend in exam questions in the past few years to talk about settings, beginnings, endings etc so ensure you're strong here!

2. 'Practice being in the exam'. This obviously extends to practice essay plans, but also looking at previous examiner report / model essays etc to see the characteristics of an A/A* response. The better you are at writing and planning in timed conditions, the more fluid and expert your response will be on the day.

3. More specific to particular topics, but AO3/5 (context and critics) are super essential at A-Level. Look out for journal articles or soundbites from particular critics that will make your response stand out.

If you want more specific advice about particular boards / questions etc, let me know.

Thank you! My exam board is AQA if you have any advice on it that would also be very helpful

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending