The Student Room Group

Change From Yr11 To Sixth Form

Scroll to see replies

Ah cool i was advised, not too so i didn't :smile:
As long as you like your choices, nothing else matters in all fairness.
Good luck.
Reply 461
Troubled_Student
Ah cool i was advised, not too so i didn't :smile:
As long as you like your choices, nothing else matters in all fairness.
Good luck.

Ah I see. Thanks:smile: Good luck with your GCSEs:hugs:
Hibz123
Ah I see. Thanks:smile: Good luck with your GCSEs:hugs:

Yeah thanks, i think i've done okay i just really wanna get my results. The wait is killing me!
Reply 463
Troubled_Student
Yeah thanks, i think i've done okay i just really wanna get my results. The wait is killing me!

I'm just too apprehensive to even open my results when I get them. Hopefully we'll achieve our aims:smile:
Um, what is the average day in sixth form like? And do you know everyone in your year like you did in high school?
Im moving to a school where about 90% of the sixth form students will already know each other as most people stay on so I am going to be soo nervous and knowing only 1 or 2 people if they get in!
saladfingers08
Im moving to a school where about 90% of the sixth form students will already know each other as most people stay on so I am going to be soo nervous and knowing only 1 or 2 people if they get in!

I was in your position this time last year- best thing to do is just go and introduce yourself to people at the first opportunity. Worked for me.
paniking_and_not_revising
Um, what is the average day in sixth form like? And do you know everyone in your year like you did in high school?

In answer to you first question- an average day would be specific to each sixth form/college.
Do you get to bring in food/drinks into lessons? Because I would just love to have some tea/coffee with me!!
Reply 469
Do you get to bring in food/drinks into lessons? Because I would just love to have some tea/coffee with me!!

In some of my lessons, we'll have coffee breaks in double periods. Or cake parties. Or sometimes just biscuits. Lol, it really depends on the teacher, tbh.

If its a college then I would say most likely. If its a school 6th form it will depend on how strict the school is. At my current school you can bring drinks in but most teachers don't like you eating in the classroom.
deleted
Because you don't get books to work in at sixth form, how do you orgnaise your papers - how many ring binders would you need? :smile:
Reply 473
sundance_kid
Because you don't get books to work in at sixth form, how do you orgnaise your papers - how many ring binders would you need? :smile:

Truth be told I didn't organise mine all too well. :awesome: Just needed one for each subject, two closer to the end of the year.
wombat678
I think ring binders would be a bit too bulky, Im using folders like These

I reckon you'll struggle to organise your notes in those- they are way to small and there is nothing to hold them together. You would need loads to keep organised.
I use arch levers for all my work after, all the notes go into one of these subdivided, at the end of the exams I keep all my revision notes, and any textbooks I need in case of retakes, and throw all the stuff I don't need.
wombat678
I am using notebooks similar to this too, How much notetaking do you actually do in 6th form? I will have ringbinders at home, those plastic folders are just to take to school - less bulky than ringbinders

The ammount of notetaking you do depends on the subject. For something like History or English, or any essay based subject then the answer is a lot. Those notebooks with dividers are great- far easier to carry than lever arch's. One for each subject should get you started + a small A4 folder for each subject to keep handouts in.
Reply 477
I'm just about to start Sixth form at the same school. I already talk to most of my teachers (they give us crisps and drink and let us eat in their lessons), and work atleast 4-5 hours most nights (or i did before i left school). And now I'm taking on 5 AS and the BACC. So I'm wondering how diffrent it can get. I'm taking:

Geography, Physics, Maths, Art or Business, Citezenship and the BACC.

Will i be one of those people who picked the subjects with masses of home work? I don't mind work. I just need a few hours sleep each night, thats all :smile:
huddleme
I'm just about to start Sixth form at the same school. I already talk to most of my teachers (they give us crisps and drink and let us eat in their lessons), and work atleast 4-5 hours most nights (or i did before i left school). And now I'm taking on 5 AS and the BACC. So I'm wondering how diffrent it can get. I'm taking:

Geography, Physics, Maths, Art or Business, Citezenship and the BACC.

Will i be one of those people who picked the subjects with masses of home work? I don't mind work. I just need a few hours sleep each night, thats all :smile:

Hey there :smile: I don't know a whole lot about what your asking as I myself am waiting to start Sixth Form too, but if you are going to choose Art for A-Level please make sure you realize how much work it entails - it's extremely demanding and taking on another 4 AS Levels alongside it may be very pressurizing. I have cousins and friends who have done A-Level Art and they've found it difficult enough to satisfy the workload whilst working for another 2 or 3 AS-Levels as it is mostly coursework based. I'm only doing 3 AS/A Levels because my school is very small and doesn't advise doing 4 for some reason...but I'm also doing Geography like yourself :smile: alongside Art and Applied Science.

I'm really sorry for rambling but I just want you to make the right A-Level choices so you don't go crazy with the workload for all your subjects combined.

Best of luck with your GCSE results and your final choices for A-Level :smile:
With starting Sixthform you have to be prepared of the workload. I didn't expect Sixthform to be like it is, your expected to do work at home, aswell as notetaking etc in lesson during in-school time. Aswell as coursework.
During my GCSE's I never revised, and I was in shock after a few weeks of experiencing Sixthform, but if you expect to get good grades (above a C) then you are expected to do quite a bit of your own revision and not just being spoon fed by the teachers. Even the grade A* students from GCSE transferring to Sixthform cannot get away with not doing revision. Everyone has to do their own work.
Plus, you need to be prepared with your stationary too, lots of black biros, a4 folders, lots of lined paper (make sure it's good quality cos of highlighting can lead to leaking through...) - highlighters, pencil and a rubber, subdividers to put in your folder, colourful sticky notes for revision, and gel pens for underlining important notes when notetaking in class.

But, Sixthform is really fun... with the free periods, getting to know new people (if you go to a differant school) and the parties organised, especially the end of term parties, like May Ball etc. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending