Change From Yr11 To Sixth Form Watch

becky.fm
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Amy-x)
I'm really scared for starting college, i'm scared it'll be too hard! I'm stressing out over my exams now, so how will I cope in college in AS Levels?! Help! :woo:

Any tips will be greatly appreciated!

If anyones reading this and have been through their AS Levels, any tips?!

Thank you! :o:

x
You'll be fine - it's really not that scary Going to college means meeting loads of new people, parties and getting drunk

Nah, but other than that, you've got to work hard. But the number one tip i would give you for AS Levels is to do past papers all the time. Don't worry about route-learning the textbook, they often don't emphasise what you need to know enough, and babble on about nothing.

You'll come to realise that the questions they set in the exams are always very similar (this might be hard for you as your on the new syllabus) and you'll get to grips with it easy enough.
username318281
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hey everyone!
I'm new to TSR...but anyways!
I've just finished my GCSEs and I'm really looking forward to 6th year I found out that I'll be getting all of my favourite teachers which will make it a lot better

However, my school only recommends that we only do 3 A-Levels, apparently more than 3 would be too much :confused:

I was wondering if anyone knows what Applied Science is like? Its one of the subjects I'm choosing alongside Geography and Art

Thanks in advance!
letsdothetimewarpagain
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by MissesTwishes)
Hey everyone!
I'm new to TSR...but anyways!
I've just finished my GCSEs and I'm really looking forward to 6th year I found out that I'll be getting all of my favourite teachers which will make it a lot better

However, my school only recommends that we only do 3 A-Levels, apparently more than 3 would be too much :confused:

I was wondering if anyone knows what Applied Science is like? Its one of the subjects I'm choosing alongside Geography and Art

Thanks in advance!
Only doing 3AS levels? The normal should be 4 and most universities ask for 4. If they are talking about the full A level does that mean you doing another subject which you are dropping?
username318281
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain)
Only doing 3AS levels? The normal should be 4 and most universities ask for 4. If they are talking about the full A level does that mean you doing another subject which you are dropping?
I'm not dropping any of them! I'm doing them all. My school recommends only doing 3 AS & A-Levels which I find really odd, but a lot of schools in Northern Ireland are the same apart from the grammar schools which do more than 3. Maybe it's different in England :confused:

Like in my school (along with mostly every other secondary school in N.I. except grammar schools) we only got to do 8 GCSEs. Whereas the grammar schools get to do 10 or 11!

But then again, my school is relatively small, it only has about 600 people in it (at maximum), so maybe that might be why my choices are restricted?

Will I have difficulty getting into University with only 3 A-Levels? I'm not looking to go anywhere fancy
Hibz123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The subjects that I am going to do are: English Literature, Economics, Law and History. Is the workload for these subjects too much?
paniking_and_not_revising
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Hibz123)
The subjects that I am going to do are: English Literature, Economics, Law and History. Is the workload for these subjects too much?
Apparantly History is really hard and Law requires you to memorise a lot.
jon838
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I would say that is fne. Do whatever subjects you want. You could ask a few teachers what they know from past students taking similar subjects, but mostly do what you want, not what teachers want you to do.
jon838
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by MissesTwishes)
Will I have difficulty getting into University with only 3 A-Levels? I'm not looking to go anywhere fancy
Nearly all Universities require three a levels and no more. You can do more A levels if you want, more to learn, but three a levles is okay.
jon838
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Amy-x)
I'm really scared for starting college, i'm scared it'll be too hard! I'm stressing out over my exams now, so how will I cope in college in AS Levels?! Help! :woo:

Any tips will be greatly appreciated!

If anyones reading this and have been through their AS Levels, any tips?!

Thank you! :o:

x
you will have a lot of frees, however be organised Meet new people, go out to parties etc.
Practice past papers; ask your teacher what the exam board is that your subject is for and then visit that website, such as OCR, edexcel or AQA and print off some past papers for that subject.
Do your homework that is set for you and revise whenever you can, instead of leaving it to the alst few months. Revise by practising past papers and then lookign at the markscheme and answers which you can get from the exam board website and use a revision book, alternating between revision books and past papers.
'succeed to prepare and prepare to succeed.'
Hibz123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by paniking_and_not_revising)
Apparantly History is really hard and Law requires you to memorise a lot.
(Original post by jon838)
I would say that is fne. Do whatever subjects you want. You could ask a few teachers what they know from past students taking similar subjects, but mostly do what you want, not what teachers want you to do.
Ah alright. Thank you both for your input
username318281
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by jon838)
Nearly all Universities require three a levels and no more. You can do more A levels if you want, more to learn, but three a levles is okay.
Some peace of mind! Thank you
theciz
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Having just finished my AS I'd say Year 13's was pretty much like GCSE (I had frees then 'cause I opted out of RE, so it was no shock lol). I didn't move, and I knew all my teachers anyway, so it was fine. It was more fun, in a way; less subjects so far less work, more free periods and more coffee breaks! Ha, I can't wait for A Level when I'll have even more time on my hands! Although, maybe AS was just my doss year, I don't know. I didn't feel any of the work was very hard (Doing Politics, French, Maths and History of Art); more like just another step up in French and Maths, and nothing too taxing from the new subjects.

I couldn't tell you about coursework, because I chose subjects without any, but overall I think as long as you just keep up with homeworks/essays, you'll do fine!
Trichomania
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Very similar to me; but I'm doing Government and Politics not Law.
Troubled_Student
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think it's better if your staying at your sixth form, as moving to a different college = making new friends/travel/new teachers/bigger classes. So i opted just to stay at my sixth form in the end, and tbh i can't wait for Sixth Form!
My choices are - History, Psychology, Politics and Economics.
Troubled_Student
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Sorry for the double post, i just seen this
If your going to do Law at Uni, i would advise not doing law for an A-Level. I was told Universities don't like it for some reason, but you'll have to ask people on TSR as well to verify that
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Troubled_Student)
I think it's better if your staying at your sixth form, as moving to a different college = making new friends/travel/new teachers/bigger classes. So i opted just to stay at my sixth form in the end, and tbh i can't wait for Sixth Form!
My choices are - History, Psychology, Politics and Economics.
Same as my AS Levels, except I did RS instead of Economics.

I think the two biggest changes in going from yr11 to 6th form were both specific to me- that is going from an all girls private school with 500 in senior school, to a mixed comp with 1200. And going from having lessons of no more than 1hour 10mins, to have lessons of 2 or 3 hours.

Apart from an increase in workload, mainly due to history essays rather than any other subject.
Troubled_Student
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by jelly1000)
Same as my AS Levels, except I did RS instead of Economics.

Hows Politics? I think i'm doing the Edexcel course.
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Troubled_Student)
Hows Politics? I think i'm doing the Edexcel course.
I did Edexcel AS and I would say if you are genuinely interested in Politics and are quite happy to read a newspaper/watch the news then
you'll enjoy it, if your just doing it as a 4th AS to fill in the gaps you may find it tedious.
Grapevine
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Nail your AS modules because they're easier than the A2 ones.
Troubled_Student
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by jelly1000)
I did Edexcel AS and I would say if you are genuinely interested in Politics and are quite happy to read a newspaper/watch the news then
you'll enjoy it, if your just doing it as a 4th AS to fill in the gaps you may find it tedious.
Nah i'm doing it for both years definately, if you've got any tips like revision materials good books etc then pm me please
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (266)
38.66%
No - but I will (46)
6.69%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.41%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (325)
47.24%

Watched Threads