The Student Room Group

Human Biology vs. Biology at AS/A Level?

Hello.
I'm just asking out of curiosity; do universities favour Biology over Human Biology? I know that "traditional" Sciences (Bio., Chemistry, and Physics) are well-respected, but is Human Biology still a "traditional" science?
Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by ighle
Hello.
I'm just asking out of curiosity; do universities favour Biology over Human Biology? I know that "traditional" Sciences (Bio., Chemistry, and Physics) are well-respected, but is Human Biology still a "traditional" science?
Thanks!

Human Biology is a well respected A Level, and is accepted for University courses such as Medicine. It is also acceptable for most University offers. Generally Universities would not have a preference between the two.

However, if you have ambitions of doing Biology (or a very similar degree) at University then "straight" Biology A Level would be preferred. The reason for this is that the straight Biology course will cover important modules on plants, biochem and photosynthesis which will help at University level.
Reply 2
Original post by Llewellyn
Human Biology is a well respected A Level, and is accepted for University courses such as Medicine. It is also acceptable for most University offers. Generally Universities would not have a preference between the two.

However, if you have ambitions of doing Biology (or a very similar degree) at University then "straight" Biology A Level would be preferred. The reason for this is that the straight Biology course will cover important modules on plants, biochem and photosynthesis which will help at University level.

I want to go into Psychology, and psychological research at Uni., so I think I'd definitely benefit more from Human Biology? I'd find it more interesting. Thank you for your help!
Reply 3
Original post by ighle
I want to go into Psychology, and psychological research at Uni., so I think I'd definitely benefit more from Human Biology? I'd find it more interesting. Thank you for your help!

In that case by all means do Human Biology :smile: People do tend to struggle more with the non-human topics so I think your decision is sensible.
Reply 4
Original post by ighle

I can vouch for Human Biology being a very insteresting subject if you're planning on going with OCR :smile: And in regards to universitys they don't really mind either way as the other person has said :P
Reply 5
Original post by Nathan2995
I can vouch for Human Biology being a very insteresting subject if you're planning on going with OCR :smile: And in regards to universitys they don't really mind either way as the other person has said :P

I think it's OCR, yeah. Definitely gonna swap Bio. for Human Biology, I think. I'll lose focus entirely otherwise! Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending