The Student Room Group

Biomedical sciences vs biological sciences bachelors degree

Im starting year 13 next week and I'm stuck on what degree i want to do, many topics in biology that interest me are cloning, the nervous system, diseases and cell biology. i found that many biomed degrees have modules i like but im afraid that they will only focus on clinical biology (which i am not interested in) where as in a biological sciences degree there are few modules that interest me but i feel that they will be more broad. I am having trouble choosing between the 2 and i am so confused about the admissions tests that i have to do for these degrees - can someone help me with what tests i need to do and what the degrees are like?
(ps i am doing a levels psychology, physics and biology and core maths)
Reply 1
Original post by Mila68394
Im starting year 13 next week and I'm stuck on what degree i want to do, many topics in biology that interest me are cloning, the nervous system, diseases and cell biology. i found that many biomed degrees have modules i like but im afraid that they will only focus on clinical biology (which i am not interested in) where as in a biological sciences degree there are few modules that interest me but i feel that they will be more broad. I am having trouble choosing between the 2 and i am so confused about the admissions tests that i have to do for these degrees - can someone help me with what tests i need to do and what the degrees are like?

some of my thoughts that i hope will help

Biological sciences will include plant biology and evolution - but what makes uni great is that a part from core/compulsory modules you get to pick and choose modules. So definitely look into each uni's module structure

From my experience stuff at university is only broad if you want it to be - uni is all about independence you definitely take that opportunity to look into topics that interest you and you may even want to do those topics for your thesis or a research project.

Moreover, module titles look broad but in fact they become the most specific things in the world. A module can be called cell bio 101 and by the end of a lecture you will be learning about a single cell in the foot that creates acid or something idk :smile:

The whole point of biomedical science at most unis is the accreditation by the IBMS which basically says you can use the name 'biomedical scientist' legally, so you are right to assume that it will be clinically focused since a lot if not all of biomed jobs are clinical lab based. with that said its not all clinical but do expect it to have a human/medical lens applied to it

accreditation by the IBMS is a whole other issue, so please research this. Not all unis are accredited so check. You can get accredited after you finish a non-accredited by doing top up modules independently. etc..... PLEASE LOOK INTO THIS

As for entrance exams, as far as i am aware only oxford and cambridge make people sit entrance exams - but definitely check with all the unis you want to apply to.
Reply 2
Original post by Mila68394

I did biomedical and it is fairly clinical, but so interesting if you want to know about human biochemical processes in depth. As a biomedical scientist, it opens you up to many health science jobs with further study. Biological Sciences are obviously broader and include plants and animals but quite a lot of biological science students at my Uni chose a lot of the biomedical science modules where they were given the option. So you could have the best of both worlds by taking biological science and choosing some biomedical modules that interest you.
Hi, I am not yet at uni but in year 13 applying for the 2024 cycle.
I’m also not interested in clinical biology but there are courses out there for biomedical sciences which aren’t accredited for the NHS career but cover a lot of the same topics and generally have a more research focused approach. If I can hell any more at all I’d be happy to
Also, if you think it would be helpful there is a 2024 biomedical science applicants thread. Sorry I’m not sure how to link it on here though.
If anybody is interested in a career in Biomedical Sciences, I would highly recommend the Bsc Health Care sciences degree at University of Bradford. It is a very targeted course for those interested in a career in Healthcare Sciences and you have a work placement at an NHS lab which means you get to do your portfolio and that increases your chances of gaining a full time job. This goes across all sections for example Microbiology, Biochemistry, Haematology etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending