The Student Room Group

m1 dynamics help

I don't understand for resolving right for A:

If tension is acting both ways on the string, then surely the tensions will cancel each other out?! Why does it act both ways?

Also, what does an light inextensible string mean? I know that it has no weight and doesn't stretch, but does this mean acceleration is equal in both systems, or tension, or both?
Reply 1
Original post by lollage123

I don't understand for resolving right for A:

If tension is acting both ways on the string, then surely the tensions will cancel each other out?! Why does it act both ways?

Also, what does an light inextensible string mean? I know that it has no weight and doesn't stretch, but does this mean acceleration is equal in both systems, or tension, or both?

You can think of tension as a sort of "restoring force". If you get a string and you stretch it, then the tension will provide a force to restore the string to its natural length and oppose the "stretching" (this isn't a real definition, but it may help you "see" what is going on).

Yes, it means that acceleration is constant throughout the system and that you don't need to consider the mass/ the momentum of the string :yes:

Is there anything else you are concerned about?

Quick Reply

Latest