The Student Room Group

Aqa unit 2 economics friday 17 may 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yousuf123
Isnt providing alternativepoliices answering "ways in which the government could interveneto increase exports and reduce imports? The questiom stated how an increase in exports and reduction in imports would affect the uk economy; not how the government could use policies to increase exports

I wouldn't recommend it, as you're not answering the question. Ideally, you were supposed to talk about why a rise in exports is good and why it might not be so good.
Has someone posted the paper? CBA to look through the old pages
Original post by ineedtorevise127
Question 16 = If the world economy goes into recession, this is likely to increase unemployment in the UK because :

A: The ability of other economies to supply UK industry with basic commodities will be reduced

B: The value of goods and services exported from the UK will fall

C : The price of oil and other raw materials is likely to rise

D : The value of the pound will fall on the foreign exchange market

Surely its B
a world recession means that most countries will not buy as much UK exports therefore the value of exports should fall in the UK, demand falls for UK exports, labour is a derived demand, if output falls, unemployment will rise....

It's definitely B,if world economies are In recession, they are reluctant to spend money on goods and services abroad, so demand-deficient unemployment increases. It's the only logical answer.
Original post by stirkee
Its not the accelerator. I'm 90% sure that the answer to 9 is D.

I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure its D :s-smilie:

The answer is 1000% D. Multiplier is essentially change in a component of AD leading to a greater rise in national income. It doesn't mean all factors must rise, just the one. Investment is a factor of AD thus D is defiantly the answer
Original post by Dubai Nan Bread
The answer is 1000% D. Multiplier is essentially change in a component of AD leading to a greater rise in national income. It doesn't mean all factors must rise, just the one. Investment is a factor of AD thus D is defiantly the answer

Was 9 asking about the accelerator or multiplier? I can't remember the question. Never mind, I remember now. It was definitely D. :smile:
I did context 1, and for the 25 marker talked about how there a difficulties in trying to reduce the budget deficit ( mentioned in extract c) and get an increased rate of economic growth. Essentially I talked about increasing the budget deficit, through employing an expansionary fiscal policy, leading to an increase in AD to stimulate the production of more goods and services. I went on to talk about demand pull inflation and all that fun stuff. For my opposing paragraph, I talked about how it's not all bad, and could lead to an increase in employment levels and would boost rate of economic growth. I concluded saying something like the fact that reducing the budget deficit and trying to boost the rate of economic growth could be considered competing policy objectives, and that to improve the rate of economic growth initially, the government would have to start it with employing a more expansionary fiscal policy, before bringing in supply side factors for example. That's essentially what input in brief. I applaud you if you read all this. :smile:
Reply 386
Original post by DjamesH94
It's definitely B,if world economies are In recession, they are reluctant to spend money on goods and services abroad, so demand-deficient unemployment increases. It's the only logical answer.

What has "The value of goods and services exported from the UK will fall" got to do with demand-deficit unemployment? Isn't B just another way of saying the currency will deprecate? If so, it implies the same thing as D and you know the answer isn't C because the question has nothing to do with oil, so you're left with A. That was my thought process-probably wrong-so if someone knows the answer please let me know.

EDIT: Ah, I think I miss-intercepted B. By the value of goods exports from the UK will fall, I thought they meant the value of UK goods and services in foreign currencies, but it actually meant the value of all of the goods leaving the UK, correct? Oh well, it's only one mark. The answer id defiantly B.
(edited 10 years ago)
For the 8 marker in context 2 I don't know whether I messed it up. For my first point I said that both balance of payments and current account were in deficit (negative figures) and gave dates and figures to back that up.

For The second point I gave the years where there were the biggest and smallest differences between balance of payments and current account. Giving dates and figures.

Is that okay for 8 marks?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 388

If raw material prices increase , then cost push inflation occurs , resulting in an increase in unemployment ?
Original post by Liamnut
What has "The value of goods and services exported from the UK will fall" got to do with demand-deficit unemployment? Isn't B just another way of saying the currency will deprecate? If so, it implies the same thing as D and you know the answer isn't C because the question has nothing to do with oil, so you're left with A. That was my thought process-probably wrong-so if someone knows the answer please let me know.

EDIT: Ah, I think I miss-intercepted B. By the value of goods exports from the UK will fall, I thought they meant the value of UK goods and services in foreign currencies, but it actually meant the value of all of the goods leaving the UK, correct? Oh well, it's only one mark. The answer id defiantly B.

Haha no problem, even if you did mis interpret it, I can see why people put A rather than B. B just seems "more right " to me.
Original post by Sammyg123
If raw material prices increase , then cost push inflation occurs , resulting in an increase in unemployment ?

I don't quite understand what your point is. :s are you saying you put C or something?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by curtisblackham
For the 8 marker in context 2 I don't know whether I messed it up. For my first point I said that both balance of payments and current account were in deficit (negative figures) and gave dates and figures to back that up.

For The second point I gave the years where there were the biggest and smallest differences between balance of payments and current account. Giving dates and figures.

Is that okay for 8 marks?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't do that question, but it sounds ok to me. As long as you quoted figures, which you said you did, and it is relevant enough, you should get the marks :smile: Hmmm looking back on it, I don't think it would be significant to say both the balance of payments and the current account were in deficit if they were always like that anyway. Was that the case, or were there situations showing them both in surplus?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 392
I don't quite understand what your point is. :s

Firms pay more for raw materials so raise prices to cover costs, AS shifts to left and unemployment increases, prob wrong. But is another theory
i was just wondering for the 12 marker in context 1 what was the diagram??
True, but unemployment only increases as a side effect of the rise in raw material prices, while B shows unemployment increasing as a direct result of a recession in world economies due to a lack of demand for exports. While C is strictly true, it would affect all countries if there was a rise in raw material prices, while the question is asking what effect it would have on the Uk economy. ugh, forgot to quote
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by shonalee01
i was just wondering for the 12 marker in context 1 what was the diagram??

I did the AS/AD diagram showing AD increasing, and the level of employment curve below showing unemployment increasing.
Reply 396
Out of interest, what were the context one questions like?
Hey guys, I did context 1 and this is generally what I put for my sections
1) It is a flow of money that households receive over a period of time when adjusted to the rate of inflation. An example is a monthly wage adjusted to the rate of inflation.
2) The two peaks.
Overall trend of increase over the period for both.
3) shift to the left in aggregate demand, further away from yfe LRAS curve highlights decrease in unemployment. Described it all and a definition of cyclical unemployment.

4) Expansionary fiscal policy could be used to achieve economic growth; lower taxes, increased government spending, less income tax leads to more disposable income, due to UK's propensity to consume at 0.95, consumption will increase which is equal to 65% of AD therefore AD shifts to the left, reduces unemployment, closer to LRAS curve, increased real national output = economic growth, however could cause demand pull inflation as the equillibrium reach the LRAS and Yfe, also coalition government are currently trying to cut the budget deficit and so would be more likely to implement the opposite, Linked to the extracts.
Supply side policies needed in order to increase the productive capacity of the economy. Example education and training. Increase Labour productivity, graph lras shifts to the right, equillibrium with lower price level, this could offset the inflationary pressures of increased demand. Also could increase foreign investment due to skilled labour force. however again budget deficit unlikely to implement. Takes a long time to see the effects, govt currently planning for 2015 elections therefore policy myopia, looking for short fixes to get votes so those are the difficulties.
Loosening Monetary Policy, lower interest rates to encourage firms to invest, cheaper to get loans. However deleveraging (Defined) means banks aren't lending even at low interest rates so firms are unable to invest, link to extracts about low business confidence unlikely to invest anyway.
Many tradeoffs between objectives, conclusion through the use of supply side and demand side would see the most beneficial effects with the least amount of tradeoffs

Don't know how okay that is but may as well share
Reply 398
Hi guys, just wanted an opinion on my 25 marker, I did context to about how increasing exports and decreasing imports would affect economic activity.

Intro:
Defined balance of pavements and aggregate demand

Paragraph 1:
Spoke about the fact that the improvement in balance of pavements would shift AD to the right (drew a supply and demand diagram to show this). Then talked about the positives and negatives of this shift in AD (e.g. Demand pull inflation...)

Paragraph 2:
Spoke about how the negatives could be countered, ie through the introduction of supply side policies and referred to the extract as it mentioned this. Showed this change on a PPF diagram and explained

Conclusion:
Overall wrote that the improvement on balance of pavements is good for achieving some of the goals stated in the extract in terms of economic performance, however will lead to negatives should it not be accompanied by supply side policies

Aiming for around 14/15 in the essay, what are your thoughts?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I didn't do that question, but it sounds ok to me. As long as you quoted figures, which you said you did, and it is relevant enough, you should get the marks :smile: Hmmm looking back on it, I don't think it would be significant to say both the balance of payments and the current account were in deficit if they were always like that anyway. Was that the case, or were there situations showing them both in surplus?

They were both negative throughout the whole period... Is that not a significant point to compare between the two?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending