The Student Room Group

How I get an A in A-level Economics

Use your extract!!! The way to get an A is to use your extract and remember the knowledge, i.e., definitions, graphs etc. I've known people who focus on techniques more than knowledge and still got an A. For me, I practice using the daily mail and write out definitions and graphs that I think are relevant just to get used to it (Speed and quality). Another way is to practice writing chain of analysis, E.g. Increase in interest rate -> higher cost of borrowing -> reduction in consumption and investment (AD) -> decrease in the price level (ceteris paribus) -> reduction in inflation. It needs to be bam bam bam. No time-wasting waffle.

Second, bring at least 5 different color highlighters. Read the questions first and highlight the keywords, then move on to the extracts to highlight points for your application and analysis marks. I hope all of you have time to finish the papers, however, even if you don't, and you got the techniques right, you will still get a decent mark.

Lastly, watch EconplusDal, the absolute king of Economics. Last year, his prediction on paper 1 was enough to get him investigated, absolute god. However, I wouldn't recommend 100% believing in it just like any fortune telling. One way to do it yourself is to think of any incident that could have 2 to 3 extracts talked about it and think about it.

Good luck on your exams
Original post by CCY0527
Use your extract!!! The way to get an A is to use your extract and remember the knowledge, i.e., definitions, graphs etc. I've known people who focus on techniques more than knowledge and still got an A. For me, I practice using the daily mail and write out definitions and graphs that I think are relevant just to get used to it (Speed and quality). Another way is to practice writing chain of analysis, E.g. Increase in interest rate -> higher cost of borrowing -> reduction in consumption and investment (AD) -> decrease in the price level (ceteris paribus) -> reduction in inflation. It needs to be bam bam bam. No time-wasting waffle.
Second, bring at least 5 different color highlighters. Read the questions first and highlight the keywords, then move on to the extracts to highlight points for your application and analysis marks. I hope all of you have time to finish the papers, however, even if you don't, and you got the techniques right, you will still get a decent mark.
Lastly, watch EconplusDal, the absolute king of Economics. Last year, his prediction on paper 1 was enough to get him investigated, absolute god. However, I wouldn't recommend 100% believing in it just like any fortune telling. One way to do it yourself is to think of any incident that could have 2 to 3 extracts talked about it and think about it.
Good luck on your exams
These are some great tips! I would also add for analysis make sure you are always using a diagram that is fully labelled and explained fully to get top marks. Using the SPEQ technique will ensure that you ace your exam. (Shift, Price, Equilibrium, Quantity).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending