The Student Room Group

How much money do you spend on food per week?

I read a thread made a few years ago on here asking how much people spend on food per week. I was shocked to read that most people thought £30 per week wasn't enough...!!!! I don't know what they bought, lobster and Caviar?!

Anyway, I can only afford £10-£15 per week max. I'm trying to eat healthy but obviously it's hard on such a small budget.

How about you?
I usually spend about £25 to £30 on average (some weeks it's more and some week's it's less). I tend to stock up on meat during deals and bung it in the freezer. I haven't actually needed to buy meat for about a month now so my shops have been about £15 shops for veg, bread, milk and tinned things. I think anyone who can cook should be able to feed themselves a happy and balanced diet for £15 a week - it wouldn't be the most exciting diet but it would be good and balanced. It's when you start putting in unnecessary things like bottles of soft drinks, crisps, sweets, readymeals etc. that prices start jumping a lot.
Reply 2
I am on £13 these days. :/
Reply 3
I can get by with just under £20, but will usually spend a bit more when I have money buying the odd lunch or takeaway. If you stick to cheap meat such as pork, mince and chicken and use a lot of rice, pasta and frozen veg you can make decent, filling and not half unhealthy meals with around £20 to budget on.
Reply 4
Original post by Swanbow
I can get by with just under £20, but will usually spend a bit more when I have money buying the odd lunch or takeaway. If you stick to cheap meat such as pork, mince and chicken and use a lot of rice, pasta and frozen veg you can make decent, filling and not half unhealthy meals with around £20 to budget on.

But OP said £10. :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by Juichiro
But OP said £10. :frown:

Hmm, ten pound is a stretch but not impossible. Again it will consist of a lot of pasta and rice and in general not being enjoyable but you can definitely make it work. Also, 40 horrible sausages from Iceland are only £2 so at least you can get some protein into it.
Reply 6
£20-30

Protein is expensive.

Eating well costs more.
Reply 7
Original post by Swanbow
Hmm, ten pound is a stretch but not impossible. Again it will consist of a lot of pasta and rice and in general not being enjoyable but you can definitely make it work. Also, 40 horrible sausages from Iceland are only £2 so at least you can get some protein into it.

Not sure if we can count gristle in the protein group :P
Reply 8
I'd rather spend £10 more a week for decent nourishing food tbh, there again I don't drink so I save a few few £ a week there!
Original post by amholcroft
I'd rather spend £10 more a week for decent nourishing food tbh, there again I don't drink so I save a few few £ a week there!

Probably save a lot from not drinking :ahee:
when I went on my world challenge trip to madagascar one of ration foods was bachelors bean feast :smile:
it is just a dried mixture that you ad water and veg to that you are able to have with pasta or rice,
1 bag feeds 4 people so you could either share a meal or keep saving the left over contents for another night :smile:
#AMustTry :smile:
I usually spend about £30 to £35 a week because I have 2 daughters and they like different types of food
I usually spend about £25 to £30 on average (some weeks it's more and some week's it's less). I tend to stock up on meat during deals and bung it in the freezer. I haven't actually needed to buy meat for about a month now so my shops have been about £15 shops for veg, bread, milk and tinned things. I think anyone who can cook should be able to feed themselves a happy and balanced diet for £15 a week - it wouldn't be the most exciting diet but it would be good and balanced.
I'm the same I usually spend £35 max on food per week

Quick Reply

Latest