The Student Room Group

How much

If I am looking to save how much money per month should I look to save.
Reply 1
Original post by Mohammed_80

As much as you can. If you save more today, it'll save you another day for sure.
Original post by Meheraj
As much as you can. If you save more today, it'll save you another day for sure.

Ah yeah really would help towards future events and plans. Any advice and tips how maybe. And how to limit and control myself.
Reply 3
if you're over 18, theres this bank called zopa - they have a savings account option on their app and you can sort your money into different access pots. each pot requires a certain amount of times notice before you can access it. they have quite good interest rates too which can motivate you further. (ive attached a little table)

if you're not over 18 other banks have saving pots options as well - just not as good as zopa but do your research. for example i have a current acc w lloyds and ive just opened multiple savings accounts so that they can act as pots (im not particularly fussed about interest rates tho). having specific goals can really help as well

something i also do to physically limit myself is keep the majority of my money in a little purse i keep at home rather than in my bank acc where i can just use it if i have my phone on me (apple pay is the devils work im telling you). its very helpful imo because then i physically dont have money to spend when im out and about. i currently try to save around £100 each month but this depends on what you're doing with your life currently and how much money you are making
Reply 4
Ah yeah really would help towards future events and plans. Any advice and tips how maybe. And how to limit and control myself.

So, basically, I have two physical bank accounts, including HSBC and Lloyds, and one online banking account (Monzo). I keep money on all the debit cards, but out of the three, I use only two (HSBC and Monzo) most of the time for transactions. I divide up the remaining sum and deposit it at Lloyds. I don't always carry it with me so that I can set aside some bucks every week or month. That's how I save it. Alternatively, you can keep the reserves in a corner of your room that normally stays empty and that you don't use very often. Haha.... I am aware that this is a dumb method, yet I have used it in the past.
Each month will be unique. So just save as much as you possibly can or else some months you will spend just bc you haven't met your limit yet
Reply 6

Well I put £1,600 a month aside for savings, we'll investments really. Enough to fill the ISA allowance.

As much as you can. According to your money you earn and the things you have to pay for livelihood, 100 pounds and more are a great sum.
Hi there,

I would recommend having a look at your incoming money each month and your outgoing. You need to budget for things that you absolutely need such as food, rent, electricity etc. I always find it useful to try and work out how much is coming in and then I can see how much I usually spend on the essentials and go from there. There are lots of online tools and budgeting spreadsheets you can use to help.

I hope this helps,

Ellen
Y3 Med Student
Uni of Sunderland

Depends on a lot of factors, such as how much you are earning, how much you have to spend on necessities etc etc. Theres no set amount of how much you should save.
Save as much as you can.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending