The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Can i get into Royal Holloway?

I love RH. I wish i could tell everyone about how much i love this uni.
My GCSE grades are unfortunately, BBCDEEEE. I know they are really bad and no one in the world would accept me!

I am going to apply for royal holloway this year with my predicted grades both AS and A level together, AAAA*. My Alevel subjects are Economics, math, Psychology, and one language subject.

I am preparing so hard for them that you've no idea. I am 100% sure that i will get my predicted grades. This is because i have completed my AS thoroughly and have started preparing for my A2. Hopefully, this August i will be over with my entire Alevel preparation and will start revision. My point is i will get A's. hopefully.

Can i get into any of royalholloway's most noncompetitive management or Economics course with my these GCSE grades and high predeicted A level grades? Because if I can, I'd be happy and may be motivated but if i cannot i need to know it now before i get into real depression!

Plus I have amazing work experience, internship at a cottonmill, Reckitt benckiser and taught math at one of the schools in my country which is ranked 7th. Plus, Huge amount of social work. I can make my PS gold aswell. Please advise me.

Scroll to see replies

Yes you can

Many people are on those courses with way less, I know - I go there
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Reply 2
Really? would they really accept me with these GCSES grades? :biggrin:DD
You've made my day!
A-Levels mean a hell of a lot more than GCSE grades, so if your predicted grades are realistic you have a good chance of getting an offer. The admissions people realise that most kids haven't got their **** together at age 16 so universities won't place much emphasis on them, unless you're applying for a top ten university or need to meet a specific requirement for the course. I got accepted into a fairly competitive course at a Russell Group university with my highest grade at GCSE being a B, so I know it's possible. Just relax and focus on your revision for now.
Original post by ZaraaAli
Really? would they really accept me with these GCSES grades? :biggrin:DD
You've made my day!

A Level grades are far more important and if you get those predicted, it will wipe the floor with other candiadates. They're unlikely to look at your GCSE based on those, they may do however if you do poorly in your A Levels... so work hard!
Reply 5
Original post by Whitechapel
A Level grades are far more important and if you get those predicted, it will wipe the floor with other candiadates. They're unlikely to look at your GCSE based on those, they may do however if you do poorly in your A Levels... so work hard!

I am. You have no idea how much i am doing! my parents think i should give three instead of four but just to have some realistic chances i have giving four.
Reply 6
Original post by Jackal The
A-Levels mean a hell of a lot more than GCSE grades, so if your predicted grades are realistic you have a good chance of getting an offer. The admissions people realise that most kids haven't got their **** together at age 16 so universities won't place much emphasis on them, unless you're applying for a top ten university or need to meet a specific requirement for the course. I got accepted into a fairly competitive course at a Russell Group university with my highest grade at GCSE being a B, so I know it's possible. Just relax and focus on your revision for now.

thank you so much for appreciating me! I am so happy today
Reply 7
I love RH. I wish i could tell everyone about how much i love this uni.
My GCSE grades are unfortunately, BBCDEEEE. I know they are really bad and no one in the world would accept me!

I am going to apply for royal holloway this year with my predicted grades both AS and A level together, AAAA*. My Alevel subjects are Economics, math, Psychology, and one language subject.

I am preparing so hard for them that you've no idea. I am 100% sure that i will get my predicted grades. This is because i have completed my AS thoroughly and have started preparing for my A2. Hopefully, this August i will be over with my entire Alevel preparation and will start revision. My point is i will get A's. hopefully.

Can i get into any of royalholloway's most noncompetitive management or Economics course with my these GCSE grades and high predeicted A level grades? Because if I can, I'd be happy and may be motivated but if i cannot i need to know it now before i get into real depression!

Plus I have amazing work experience, internship at a cottonmill, Reckitt benckiser and taught math at one of the schools in my country which is ranked 7th. Plus, Huge amount of social work. I can make my PS gold aswell. Please advise me.

I know someone from my school who was accepted into Cambridge with GCSE: A*BBBCCDEEE
ALEVELS: A* A* AA

As someone has previously mentioned, they mainly look at your ALEVELS because your GCSE's are purely a progress indicator to the universities. Just try your best and apply to where ever you want because admissions can sometimes be surprising. Especially if you have some good works experience, which you do! Good luck!
Tailor your personal statement towards royal holloway, what they mentioned on your visting day to do with your course.
I did and they accepted me in two days. Didn't go there tough.
Reply 9
Original post by Forget that
Tailor your personal statement towards royal holloway, what they mentioned on your visting day to do with your course.
I did and they accepted me in two days. Didn't go there tough.

I'm sorry but i didn't get you. What did you do again?
Reply 10
Original post by grammar12
I know someone from my school who was accepted into Cambridge with GCSE: A*BBBCCDEEE
ALEVELS: A* A* AA

As someone has previously mentioned, they mainly look at your ALEVELS because your GCSE's are purely a progress indicator to the universities. Just try your best and apply to where ever you want because admissions can sometimes be surprising. Especially if you have some good works experience, which you do! Good luck!

WOW! That's amazing though i don't dream THAT big. I'm okay with Royal holloway. HAHAH
Thank you for such a positive reply! :smile:
I'm sorry but i didn't get you. What did you do again?

Did you visit them for an open day? Did you visit any introductions telling you about the course you want to do, lots of unis have separate tailored introductions to courses throughout the day. Whatever they mentioned in that, write about it in your personal statement.
Reply 12
I am. You have no idea how much i am doing! my parents think i should give three instead of four but just to have some realistic chances i have giving four.

There is no point in doing 4 A-Levels unless you're aiming for Oxbridge and even then its unneccessary. You're applying to Royal Holloway who are known for letting people in who miss their offers. So tbh its not hugely competitive. Doing awesome in 3 A-Levels is better than doing alright in 4.
Reply 13
Original post by Forget that
Did you visit them for an open day? Did you visit any introductions telling you about the course you want to do, lots of unis have separate tailored introductions to courses throughout the day. Whatever they mentioned in that, write about it in your personal statement.

HAHAH nice idea.
Reply 14
Original post by emmakh123
There is no point in doing 4 A-Levels unless you're aiming for Oxbridge and even then its unneccessary. You're applying to Royal Holloway who are known for letting people in who miss their offers. So tbh its not hugely competitive. Doing awesome in 3 A-Levels is better than doing alright in 4.

Although I would agree with you for normal applications, when someone has less than average GCSE results, they need to prove their academic excellence at A-level. I think that 4 A-levels stand them in better stead than having 3 especially if they can gain 4 A-A*'s
Reply 15
Although I would agree with you for normal applications, when someone has less than average GCSE results, they need to prove their academic excellence at A-level. I think that 4 A-levels stand them in better stead than having 3 especially if they can gain 4 A-A*'s

Yes but taking into account the OP performance at GCSE I think achieving 4 As will be a struggle compared to 3 As (no offence). plus the fact that entry requirements are around ABB so AAA would prove their academic capability.
Reply 16
Yes but taking into account the OP performance at GCSE I think achieving 4 As will be a struggle compared to 3 As (no offence). plus the fact that entry requirements are around ABB so AAA would prove their academic capability.

Her predicted grades are presumably the performance in the indicator tests at the beginning of year 12, which show their current understanding of the subject and her proposed development. These may not be set in stone, however, if they were done properly, most people achieve these as they are quite accurate. 4 a levels is also beneficial beyond university as employers would far rather accept someone with 4 broad a levels as opposed to someone with just 3 :s-smilie:
Reply 17
Her predicted grades are presumably the performance in the indicator tests at the beginning of year 12, which show their current understanding of the subject and her proposed development. These may not be set in stone, however, if they were done properly, most people achieve these as they are quite accurate. 4 a levels is also beneficial beyond university as employers would far rather accept someone with 4 broad a levels as opposed to someone with just 3 :s-smilie:

Employers don't care about A-levels once you have a degree (aside from the odd grad programme which might stipulate a certain number of UCAS points, but they'd never stipulate for someone to have more than three A-levels' worth of points anyway).

I think I'm with emmakh on this one- the OP can start off carrying on all 4 into A2, but if it gets a bit much it's better to drop one and get three good grades. Royal Holloway is not a particularly competitive university so even 'just' being predicted and achieving AAA will most likely be more than enough to both get an offer and secure a place, especially as the A-levels OP is planning on taking are all academically rigorous and relevant to the sort of area they want to go into.

Also, OP it's worth checking if there are any particular GCSE requirements for the courses you're thinking of (if you haven't already done so). Although GCSEs in general don't matter too much, if a course requires, say, a C or above in maths GCSE and you don't meet that requirement, then you're unlikely to get an offer. So just double check that you at least meet the basic GCSE requirements (if there are any, I know some courses at Holloway have them and some don't).
Reply 18

Yeah but year 12 is significantly easier than year 13. Employers look at a degree and then A-Levels afterwards and they prefer better grades than more grades, quality over quantity. Once you get to uni, no-one cares what you got at A-Level, only the fact that you got there.
Reply 19
Original post by llacerta
Employers don't care about A-levels once you have a degree (aside from the odd grad programme which might stipulate a certain number of UCAS points, but they'd never stipulate for someone to have more than three A-levels' worth of points anyway).

I think I'm with emmakh on this one- the OP can start off carrying on all 4 into A2, but if it gets a bit much it's better to drop one and get three good grades. Royal Holloway is not a particularly competitive university so even 'just' being predicted and achieving AAA will most likely be more than enough to both get an offer and secure a place, especially as the A-levels OP is planning on taking are all academically rigorous and relevant to the sort of area they want to go into.

Also, OP it's worth checking if there are any particular GCSE requirements for the courses you're thinking of (if you haven't already done so). Although GCSEs in general don't matter too much, if a course requires, say, a C or above in maths GCSE and you don't meet that requirement, then you're unlikely to get an offer. So just double check that you at least meet the basic GCSE requirements (if there are any, I know some courses at Holloway have them and some don't).

Yeah but year 12 is significantly easier than year 13. Employers look at a degree and then A-Levels afterwards and they prefer better grades than more grades, quality over quantity. Once you get to uni, no-one cares what you got at A-Level, only the fact that you got there.

I agree with parts of both your replies. However, being the son of a man who owns a large employment distribution agency has shown me that whenever an employer looks for employees, when they have exactly the same degrees the only things that set them apart are their GCSE /A-level grades, experience working in that field and personality. He knows many, many people in large corporations that have failed to climb any further up the career ladder or move to other corporations because of their poor academic past. You can try to argue this point as much as you like, but you won't get anywhere! He himself has all A's at CSE and O-level back in his day, which has allowed him to excel in his job. And although at university people don't care what your A-level results were, that is really different when you go to gain works experience or employment and as you have mentioned, they look at these afterwards, but with so many people with the same degree level, these are now almost always used. However, I do agree that quality is definitely over quantity, but if you can get 4 A-levels with all A grades, that is better that 3 Levels with A grades isn't it? So you can vote this down as much as you like, but the fact remains that your GCSE and A-level grades are really important no matter what stage of education or work you are in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending