The Student Room Group

lime water

Lime water is used as the common laboratory test for carbon dioxide, state the name or formula of the chemical that is dissolved in water to make lime water.

I wrote calcium oxide but it's not in the mark scheme, only calcium hydroxide is. Why isn't it in the mark scheme?
Reply 1
That would be a question for the examiners to answer. I guess we should move beyond inert mark schemes now.
Reply 2
Calcium oxide and calcium hydroxide are different?
Reply 3
Original post by advice_guru
Calcium oxide and calcium hydroxide are different?

Original post by tazmaniac97
Lime water is used as the common laboratory test for carbon dioxide, state the name or formula of the chemical that is dissolved in water to make lime water.

I wrote calcium oxide but it's not in the mark scheme, only calcium hydroxide is. Why isn't it in the mark scheme?

Calcium Oxide: CaO This has a violent reaction with water....

Calcium Hydroxide: Ca(OH)2 (which reacts with excess CO2 to form calcium carbonate and water)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Limewater by definition: Limewater is the common name for a saturated solution of calcium hydroxide

CaO doesnt dissolve in water but react with it:

CaO (s) + H2O (l) Ca(OH)2

Reply 5
Original post by natninja
Calcium Oxide: CaO This has a violent reaction with water....

Calcium Hydroxide: Ca(OH)2 (which reacts with excess CO2 to form calcium carbonate and water)

Original post by Magzter
Limewater by definition: Limewater is the common name for a saturated solution of calcium hydroxide

CaO doesnt dissolve in water but react with it:

CaO (s) + H2O (l) Ca(OH)2

Oh I see, thanks :smile:

I really need to learn to read the question properly :tongue:
Reply 6
Ca(OH)2 may also form a suspension called milk of lime that is used as a whitewash.

Quick Reply

Latest