The Student Room Group

FY2 standalone posts

Hi,

Where do you find the FY2 standalone posts? any website?

Also, is it easier to get Locum F1 rather than FY2 post?
Reply 1
Start with NHS jobs. Or you could contact UKFPO and ask them.

No idea about your other question though, I'm afraid.
Hi Masterboy123,

I have been pursuing locum work on and off for most of my career. Google flagged your post to me as I am writing an article on the merits of locum work. If you register with a GOOD agency, FY2 is just as abundant as FY1. Here are some tips I would give anyone thinking of starting to locum:

1. Have all your documents prepared before you start contacting agencies. Some will pay for a CRB/Bloods some wont. All of them will ask for more or less the same thing. I have met many Doctor's over the years who get frustrated at being asked to send these in. Simple, if you don't have them you don't work. If you start off organised, you will stay organised and it will be a small task.

2. Try and go for a smaller company. The agency I use are quite small, and although a lot of agencies will use the sales pitch of 'all the work' they cannot fill, there has genuinely been work available for me anytime I want it. Smaller company = less Doctors = more work. Remember the agencies are sales people, so you may have to do your own research into what companies are smaller as all of them like to act like they are the biggest in the market.

3. Have a thick skin. Locums are often looked down on in the medicine profession, I still experience this now even though I am a Consultant Dermatologist and Senior Lecturer. Being a Locum can be a good way to visit and see how different hospitals work and make contacts. I have seen a number of SHO/SPR locum Doctors be offered full time posts.

I hope this all helps! I'd love to hear your experiences as I am trying to write an article exploring the benefits and downfalls of working in this way.
Reply 3
Original post by medicineman1967
Hi Masterboy123,

I have been pursuing locum work on and off for most of my career. Google flagged your post to me as I am writing an article on the merits of locum work. If you register with a GOOD agency, FY2 is just as abundant as FY1. Here are some tips I would give anyone thinking of starting to locum:

1. Have all your documents prepared before you start contacting agencies. Some will pay for a CRB/Bloods some wont. All of them will ask for more or less the same thing. I have met many Doctor's over the years who get frustrated at being asked to send these in. Simple, if you don't have them you don't work. If you start off organised, you will stay organised and it will be a small task.

2. Try and go for a smaller company. The agency I use are quite small, and although a lot of agencies will use the sales pitch of 'all the work' they cannot fill, there has genuinely been work available for me anytime I want it. Smaller company = less Doctors = more work. Remember the agencies are sales people, so you may have to do your own research into what companies are smaller as all of them like to act like they are the biggest in the market.

3. Have a thick skin. Locums are often looked down on in the medicine profession, I still experience this now even though I am a Consultant Dermatologist and Senior Lecturer. Being a Locum can be a good way to visit and see how different hospitals work and make contacts. I have seen a number of SHO/SPR locum Doctors be offered full time posts.

I hope this all helps! I'd love to hear your experiences as I am trying to write an article exploring the benefits and downfalls of working in this way.

I feel like doctors in general are very conservative when it comes to taking risks and pursuing different career paths, hence the looking down on locums, and hence the barrage of "you can't do that, you'll never get back in" comments when you consider taking some time out either of medicine, NHS training or working in the UK.

In research/academics, it's expected that you broaden your experiences in that way, but for some reason in medicine we are expected to follow the long march to consultancy and retirement without question...
Original post by Ciaran88
I feel like doctors in general are very conservative when it comes to taking risks and pursuing different career paths, hence the looking down on locums, and hence the barrage of "you can't do that, you'll never get back in" comments when you consider taking some time out either of medicine, NHS training or working in the UK.

In research/academics, it's expected that you broaden your experiences in that way, but for some reason in medicine we are expected to follow the long march to consultancy and retirement without question...

You are absolutely correct, in my experience it is these Doctor's who get 'bored' and lose the passion for the job that fired them through the difficult beginning years. I personally think in medicine, going out and doing a few locums and having some time off here of there is a brilliant way to see how other people work and gain better knowledge of your specialty, its a shame being a locum is looked down on so much.

A lot of hospitals assume we are 'money grabbers' which is not the case. My agency asked me to make my CV smaller, and I was offered an ongoing post shortly afterwards. I can see how a CV looks bad in other careers if you are a 'job hopper' but I have never been able to get my head around the fact that hospitals want Doctor's to stay in one place for the duration of their career, doing things the same way and working in the same routine.

What I would say to the OP is to always carry yourself well, work well and be polite. Maybe I have just been lucky, but I have found some people willing to provide excellent references in my years which is invaluable if you plan on Locums.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending