The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Is manchester university good?

Im planning on taking a gap year next year so I was wondering of applying to Manchester uni for economics. Ive never seen the campus or the actual uni but have heard good things about it and just wanted any advice from current Manchester uni applicants and applicants that have applied their for their respective courses. Please give me advice and your opinions on the uni, thanks :tongue:
Original post by iAhmedd
Im planning on taking a gap year next year so I was wondering of applying to Manchester uni for economics. Ive never seen the campus or the actual uni but have heard good things about it and just wanted any advice from current Manchester uni applicants and applicants that have applied their for their respective courses. Please give me advice and your opinions on the uni, thanks :tongue:

I'm a current student, also in the School of Social Sciences, and I love it.

However, whilst Manchester is academically strong, what makes a uni enjoyable to attend (either in terms of modules available or in terms of the extra curricular side) is entirely subjective.

Manchester has the open days coming up - 21st and 22nd June and then one in early October. I'd really recommend coming if it's at all possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by Origami Bullets
I'm a current student, also in the School of Social Sciences, and I love it.

However, whilst Manchester is academically strong, what makes a uni enjoyable to attend (either in terms of modules available or in terms of the extra curricular side) is entirely subjective.

Manchester has the open days coming up - 21st and 22nd June and then one in early October. I'd really recommend coming if it's at all possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks a bunch :biggrin: also is the social life good there? Like in terms of whether there is sports facilities/teams there or gym or societies? Il be living at the uni campus is that a good idea? Sorry if im annoying you with these questions :tongue:
Reply 3
I heard it's very good and the uni itself is respected. It's supposed to have the best careers service in the country and the uni is absolutely massive. I've only visited Manchester once but it seems like a very sociable and lively place to live! Like literally all i saw were students everywhere :eek:
Reply 4
Original post by ConfusedLam
I heard it's very good and the uni itself is respected. It's supposed to have the best careers service in the country and the uni is absolutely massive. I've only visited Manchester once but it seems like a very sociable and lively place to live! Like literally all i saw were students everywhere :eek:

Sounds great :smile: now I'm so tempted to apply there during my gap year, thanks for the advice
Reply 5
Original post by iAhmedd
Sounds great :smile: now I'm so tempted to apply there during my gap year, thanks for the advice

That's alright. I might be going this year, still not sure. The distance from where I am is scary lol. Walaikum salaam, all the best :smile:
Original post by iAhmedd
Thanks a bunch :biggrin: also is the social life good there? Like in terms of whether there is sports facilities/teams there or gym or societies? Il be living at the uni campus is that a good idea? Sorry if im annoying you with these questions :tongue:

Social life is pretty good - it's a big city which is really quite student-oriented. There are four uni sports centres - Sugden (indoor sports halls + gym), Aquatics (Olympic sized swimming pool + gym), Armitage (outdoor sports pitches + indoor sports halls + gym) and Wythenshawe (football fields). There are also 40-something sports societies http://www.sport.manchester.ac.uk/athletic-union and a lot more non-sports societies http://manchesterstudentsunion.com/groups#club-society#academic Most questions about uni accommodation are already answered in this thread, but if there's something else you want to know then feel free to ask http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2091577 :smile:
Reply 7
Hi! I'm starting my course in manchester this septemeber and i'm not english so i don't know much about the reputation of unis, but i was looking at the guardian 2014 league tables and it said that manchester is the 30 something uk university, is this true or is it a prestigeous one? Thank you!!
Original post by mpdah101
Hi! I'm starting my course in manchester this septemeber and i'm not english so i don't know much about the reputation of unis, but i was looking at the guardian 2014 league tables and it said that manchester is the 30 something uk university, is this true or is it a prestigeous one? Thank you!!

The Guardian league tables are a load of absolute nonsense, more so than usual this year. It's helpful to understand what they do measure, and what they don't. One of the big things that they don't measure is prestige, and there's a really useful thread that will help you understand league tables here on TSR http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1096372

Yes, Manchester is a prestigious university. It's in the Russell Group (which essentially contains the UK's most prestigious universities) and is generally very well regarded by employers.
Reply 9
Original post by Origami Bullets
The Guardian league tables are a load of absolute nonsense, more so than usual this year. It's helpful to understand what they do measure, and what they don't. One of the big things that they don't measure is prestige, and there's a really useful thread that will help you understand league tables here on TSR http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1096372

Yes, Manchester is a prestigious university. It's in the Russell Group (which essentially contains the UK's most prestigious universities) and is generally very well regarded by employers.

Thank you very much, it is been really useful
Oma gosh I'm going this year :smile: soooo exited !!! coming from London never been to Manchester x !
Original post by Bella_1818
Oma gosh I'm going this year :smile: soooo exited !!! coming from London never been to Manchester x !

Same im going this year to manchester on the condition i get the grades though. Excited but nervous
Reply 12
Same here..!! Even m going to manchester this September. In which field are you going?
Original post by Hiten33
Same here..!! Even m going to manchester this September. In which field are you going?

Sociology what about you?
Reply 14
Original post by missbubbley
Sociology what about you?

Civil engineering. I have been admitted to manchester, sheffield and leeds. Which one is the most suited one?
ive hurd its verry gud, but not for mafs or ppe or enjinearing so you shud not do them or u will not be a happy boiy

fank u

Quick Reply