The Student Room Group

Manchester Metropolitan University or University of Liverpool?

Hi, I am between Manchester Metropolitan and Uni of Liverpool.

Which one do you think that is the best one for a MSc.Cyber Security Course (also for a placements/ Job opportunities/social life/nightlife/student life).

I am from asia so, I am interested in meeting new people from there, but I don't really know which city they prefer.

So I am trying to find in which uni I will have the best 2 years of my life as a msc student and in which one I will have more opportunities as a professional employee in the future. (sorry for my English)
Reply 1

Which one do you think that is the best one for a MSc.Cyber Security Course (also for a placements/ Job opportunities/social life/nightlife/student life/ network with industrial experts).

I am from asia so, I am interested in meeting new people from there, but I don't really know which city they prefer.

So I am trying to find in which uni I will have the best 2 years of my life as a msc student and in which one I will have more opportunities as a professional employee in the future. (sorry for my English)
Reply 2
This post sang to me haha, I had offers for both Manchester Met and Liverpool for MSc Psychology conversion online. I personally chose Liverpool because I wanted to go to a top university, liked the course and the assessments. I also loved the sound of Liverpool, very multicultural, music scene and I'm looking forward to visiting every once and a while to see what it is like. But also because Liverpool is a top university, it is very academically rigorous and research-intensive so I wanted a challenge.

But Manchester Met was also good, but I just wanted to go Liverpool more. Manchester is known for its nightlife as well.
Definitely need to consider cost as well! Liverpool is very expensive compared to Manchester Met, this is something to factor in as well.

Good luck with your choice - if you go Liverpool - feel free to keep in touch as I would love to meet as much people as possible as I will be studying online and it can be very isolated. Is yours online too or on campus?
Reply 3
Thank you for ur kind response, as a cyber security student related to in IT field is it good man met uni better than uni of liv? Industrial connection wise?
Reply 4
Not entirely sure, this is something that you may need to look into!
Original post by Anonymous

Which one do you think that is the best one for a MSc.Cyber Security Course (also for a placements/ Job opportunities/social life/nightlife/student life).

I'm on this thread sort of by accident as I've just graduated with a BA from Uni of Liverpool and progressing to MA but at Uni of Manchester. I'd say - go with Liverpool! It's affordable (I have to go through a lot of fuss with finding accomodation in Manchester and had no such problem in Liverpool), the atmosphere is fantastic, the teaching is great, it has more prestige, city is great when it comes to night life and culture, just a bit more quiet that Manchester and there's a huge Asian community on campus that is very friendly and welcoming so, (if I were you) I'd go with Liverpool - unfortunately, the course I'll be doing in Manchester is quite unique and specific and Liverpool does not offer any similar program but if they were I'd still be in Liverpool!
Reply 6
Thank you so much for your kind response
Much valuable for me❤️ appreciate it
Hi there,

So the University of Liverpool has a stronger reputation domestically and abroad, due to it being within the Russel Group of research intensity Universities. However, I would advise you too look closely at the specific course and department, and see if there is any aspects of the course (e.g. option modules, research strengths etc.) at one University or the other. In terms of the city, both are great places with a huge variety of culture going on, and good access to the outdoors too (and to each other city!). On balance Liverpool will be cheaper to live in, in terms of rent and also general cost of living if that will help sway your decision!

Let me know if you have any other particular questions about the University of Liverpool, or the city itself :smile:

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep
Reply 8
Thank you so much ur kind reply✨ much valuable for me and much appreciate it❤️

Hi there
Manchester metropolitan REP here :smile: if you have any further questions send them my way

Emily <3
Reply 10
Hi Emily,

Wanna know if I selected the MANMET uni for my MSc.Cyber security course, how are the facilities, job opportunities and social events, workshops for the students who are doing in IT field, connections or the network with industrial experts and experience, social gathering, placements opportunities, night life experiences and happenings
Reply 11
Hi Emily,

Wanna know if I selected the MANMET uni for my MSc.Cyber security course, how are the facilities, job opportunities and social events, workshops for the students who are doing in IT field, connections or the network with industrial experts and experience, social gathering, placements opportunities, night life experiences and happenings
Reply 12

You will meet far more asians at man met than liver, apart from that I am unsure which place will give you more opportunity as I am applying for a different course elsewhere
Reply 13
Hi Emily,

Hi Emily,

Hi!

It's great to hear that you're interested in Manchester Met!

Our MSc Cyber Security course is accredited by the British Computer Society which provides strong industry connections and a professional focus, and is endorsed by a number of institutes. We'll also have brand new facilities from September 2023 onwards as part of our science and engineering campus transformation.

Another great thing about our MSc Cyber Security course is that there is the option to study it with a placement year, allowing you to work in the industry which provides valuable experience and will help to improve career prospects post graduation.

In terms of student life, our Student Union has a number of subject and special interest societies to join and various events that happen throughout the year.

As for Manchester itself, it's a great place to live. I was born and raised in Manchester and whenever I'm away I can't wait to get back!! There's lots to do during the day and at night, and it's a really multicultural place with a strong Asian community. We also have great connections to the rest of the UK - the train to Liverpool takes less than 1 hour, London is 2 hours and Edinburgh is around 3 hours.

As mentioned by @University of Liverpool Student Rep, it's a good idea to compare both courses in terms of course content, research strengths etc. to see which course you believe is the best option for you.

I hope you find this information helpful!

Chloe :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending