The Student Room Group

Opinions on which (Edexcel) Chemistry A2 textbooks are best?

Hi :smile: Not sure if this is the right forum, apologies if it isn't.

I have just completed my Edexcel AS level in Chemistry but am unsure as to which textbook to get for A2. Petty, I know.

For AS I used the Hodders (written by Graham Hill/Andrew Hunt) textbook exclusively as I personally didn't find the Edexcel (Ann Fullick) student book to be that great. The Hodders one has pretty much been my Chemistry Bible for the past year. My teacher recommended we used the Edexcel book with passing reference to the Hodders book, but I used the Hodders one exclusively.

However as we have just started the A2 course I am obviously about to buy a new Chemistry textbook. My teacher does not recommend the Hodders book for A2 exclusively because she says it "misses out some topics." Could anyone care to share their experiences with this? I had a look inside the school's Hodders book and found it to look quite good, but I don't really want to spend money on more than one textbook if it turns out that all the topics aren't covered. Again it seems better than the Edexcel one from what I could gather, but if it doesn't cover all the topics then there isn't really much point.

I am also considering buying the George Facer textbook instead. I haven't really seen the A2 book - could anyone share their opinions on it?

Thank you :smile:
Original post by starrypie

I have just completed my Edexcel AS level in Chemistry but am unsure as to which textbook to get for A2. Petty, I know.

For AS I used the Hodders (written by Graham Hill/Andrew Hunt) textbook exclusively as I personally didn't find the Edexcel (Ann Fullick) student book to be that great. The Hodders one has pretty much been my Chemistry Bible for the past year. My teacher recommended we used the Edexcel book with passing reference to the Hodders book, but I used the Hodders one exclusively.

However as we have just started the A2 course I am obviously about to buy a new Chemistry textbook. My teacher does not recommend the Hodders book for A2 exclusively because she says it "misses out some topics." Could anyone care to share their experiences with this? I had a look inside the school's Hodders book and found it to look quite good, but I don't really want to spend money on more than one textbook if it turns out that all the topics aren't covered. Again it seems better than the Edexcel one from what I could gather, but if it doesn't cover all the topics then there isn't really much point.

I am also considering buying the George Facer textbook instead. I haven't really seen the A2 book - could anyone share their opinions on it?

I used the George Facer textbook for A2 and it's really quite good. Facer apparently used to be an exam marker, so there are really helpful examples questions and tips that come up in the exam. He also goes a bit beyond the syllabus in every section which is apparently the sign of a really good textbook! :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by starrypie

understanding chemistry by ted lister would be gr8 for A2 course...

Quick Reply

Latest