The Student Room Group

Best economics revision guides?

Does anyone recommend any revision guides that they found useful? I am thinking of taking economics and wanted to begin on going through the course!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dfb368
Does anyone recommend any revision guides that they found useful? I am thinking of taking economics and wanted to begin on going through the course!

I currently use these books https://www.amazon.co.uk/My-Revision-Notes-Edexcel-Economics/dp/1471842134/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&qid=1498280959&sr=8-30&keywords=Economics and the other books written by the same author :smile:

Which exam board are you doing? :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by brainzistheword
I currently use these books https://www.amazon.co.uk/My-Revision-Notes-Edexcel-Economics/dp/1471842134/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&qid=1498280959&sr=8-30&keywords=Economics and the other books written by the same author :smile:

Edexcel; thank you for the recommendation :smile:
Original post by dfb368
Edexcel; thank you for the recommendation :smile:

Ah we're doing the same then, best of luck :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by brainzistheword

Out of all the ones ive used id say this is the best one

I reckon this alone + YouTube videos could get you an A.
Use the textbook as well and you should be secure for an A
The Anderton texbook is really good it just waffles on about sh*t sometimes though.

(I used it for edexcel a2)
Reply 6
Original post by dfb368

Hey dfb368,

Below i've linked an online revision guide, take a look at the economics section!

http://www.altacademy.org
Original post by zayn008
Out of all the ones ive used id say this is the best one

I reckon this alone + YouTube videos could get you an A.
Use the textbook as well and you should be secure for an A

Thank you :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by voldo
The Anderton texbook is really good it just waffles on about sh*t sometimes though.

(I used it for edexcel a2)

Thanks, I appreciate the help :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by BC95
Hey dfb368,

Below i've linked an online revision guide, take a look at the economics section!

http://www.altacademy.org

Thanks, I appreciate the help :smile:
Reply 10
Honestly all the revision guides are useless in comparison to my teachers notes given to us. If anyone wants them i can send photos once I've finished exams :smile: (ocr)
if you know what exam board your economics a level would be, i suggest getting the textbook designed by that board. i currently use the AQA one and it is extremely useful :smile: but a lot of the syllabuses from each board are quite similar, and when it comes to economics, it'll never hurt with knowing any extra stuff - it'll be great to put in any essays!

i must say though that in general, at least at our college, we are discouraged from using one specific textbook. this is because textbooks can be confusing but also many lack the detail and breadth required to give a true insight into economic topics, although don't worry, there really isn't too much content in this subject - just a lot of general reading you could always be doing.

hence, i'd recommend using online resources too! there's some brilliant youtube videos, people such as econplusdal, which are really easy and simple to follow through with and can make studying economics a bit more exciting. also, magazines for economics targeted at A-level students are simply amazing. i learnt more from them than i have from textbooks, simply because they not only explain the relevant economic theory but link this to current events in a way us teens would actually understand. these magazines also have questions in them and model answers, as well as extension tasks, which is absolutely great for getting you started within this topic and maintaining your interest.

good luck with econ! :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by ashaxo99
if you know what exam board your economics a level would be, i suggest getting the textbook designed by that board. i currently use the AQA one and it is extremely useful :smile: but a lot of the syllabuses from each board are quite similar, and when it comes to economics, it'll never hurt with knowing any extra stuff - it'll be great to put in any essays!

i must say though that in general, at least at our college, we are discouraged from using one specific textbook. this is because textbooks can be confusing but also many lack the detail and breadth required to give a true insight into economic topics, although don't worry, there really isn't too much content in this subject - just a lot of general reading you could always be doing.

hence, i'd recommend using online resources too! there's some brilliant youtube videos, people such as econplusdal, which are really easy and simple to follow through with and can make studying economics a bit more exciting. also, magazines for economics targeted at A-level students are simply amazing. i learnt more from them than i have from textbooks, simply because they not only explain the relevant economic theory but link this to current events in a way us teens would actually understand. these magazines also have questions in them and model answers, as well as extension tasks, which is absolutely great for getting you started within this topic and maintaining your interest.

good luck with econ! :smile:

Thank you, I'll definitely take this into account :smile:
Original post by ineedA
Honestly all the revision guides are useless in comparison to my teachers notes given to us. If anyone wants them i can send photos once I've finished exams :smile: (ocr)

could you please send them to me, could I send you my email. This would be so helpful
Original post by ineedA

Hi hope ur exams went well. Can I please have ur revision notes for gcse Economics. Our teacher is pretty vague . You will be helping me out big time.
Thanks.
Original post by dfb368

Hey I got 328/ 335 in econ last year which was 60 marks about the A* mark. I could send you the notes I used if you private messaged me.
Original post by ineedA

Could you please send them to me if you still have them?
Original post by dfb368

there are many online forums where you can get help in answering hard economics quizzes. Try onlinefreelancersnetwork.com, they will help you out.
Original post by dfb368

EconplusDal revision guides + his videos on YouTube
Hey, by any chance do you still have your notes?

Quick Reply

Latest