The Student Room Group

2013 STEP thread mark II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Genesis2703
Hmmm ok I think i get it, I see what you mean about if and only if. But surely is a condition is necessary it is in itself sufficient? Because if you need it then of course it will work with it :s

Sorry, my post was ill worded, I have made it clearer.
Original post by Appeal to reason
In Q2, am I allowed to use
Unparseable latex formula:

\int\frac{1}{\sqrt{a^2+x^2}}\dx = \sinh^{-1}(\frac{x}{a})

? (This is what I did :/)

It says "hence", so you must use the previous part. From the exam report:

"Some candidates resorted to the formula book and quoted the standard integral dxa2+x2\displaystyle\int \frac{dx}{\sqrt{a^2+x^2}} however, this gained no credit as the question explicitly said hence."
Original post by Lord of the Flies
It says "hence", so you must use the previous part. From the exam report:

"Some candidates resorted to the formula book and quoted the standard integral dxa2+x2\displaystyle\int \frac{dx}{\sqrt{a^2+x^2}} however, this gained no credit as the question explicitly said hence."

Ugh. Perhaps it didn't go as well as I had hoped, I thought I had 2 almost complete questions, looks like I only have the 1.
I had tried to get it using the previous stuff, with no success, so I was all "Yolo" and whacked out the FP2.
Ugh. Perhaps it didn't go as well as I had hoped, I thought I had 2 almost complete questions, looks like I only have the 1.
I had tried to get it using the previous stuff, with no success, so I was all "Yolo" and whacked out the FP2.

It's probably quicker to use the sub suggested anyhow...
Reply 24
You know when you've posted too much when you need an extra thread because the first became too big
Original post by shamika
You know when you've posted too much when you need an extra thread because the first became too big

Or when you're a TSR legend...:ninja: I'm really going to delete my account in October.
Original post by bananarama2
It's probably quicker to use the sub suggested anyhow...

1x2+2bx+cdx\int\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+2bx+c}}dx

1(x+b)2+(cb2)dx\int\frac{1}{\sqrt{(x+b)^2+(c-b^2)}}dx

ln(x+b+(x+b)2+(cb)2)ln (x+b +\sqrt{(x+b)^2+(c-b)^2})

ln(x+b+x2+2bx+c)ln (x+b+\sqrt{x^2+2bx+c})

Hardly a slow method.
I couldn't even work out how to use the suggested sub.
Why have I even applied for maths... :facepalm:
1x2+2bx+cdx\int\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+2bx+c}}dx

1(x+b)2+(cb2)dx\int\frac{1}{\sqrt{(x+b)^2+(c-b^2)}}dx

ln(x+b+(x+b)2+(cb)2)ln (x+b +\sqrt{(x+b)^2+(c-b)^2})

ln(x+b+x2+2bx+c)ln (x+b+\sqrt{x^2+2bx+c})

Hardly a slow method.
I couldn't even work out how to use the suggested sub.
Why have I even applied for maths... :facepalm:

I think personally I'd put one or two extra lines of working in because I'm a pro at slip ups :tongue: Whereas with there sub there is less algebra :tongue:
Reply 28
I have an odd problem with STEP I '88 Q5...

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Sketch
I have an odd problem with STEP I '88 Q5...

Spoiler

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
My attempt on I 2008 goes as follows:
1: Did the first half, (A, B and C) got a couple of the pairs for the last part (this was the last question I attempted, so I didn't have time to finish it)
2: A complete solution aside from me not using the hence, so I lose all the marks for that bit (which I imagine was the bulk of the marks, as the other bits were straight forward).
3: most of i) done, didn't actually do the introduction bit correctly, couldn't see how to get at ii), so moved on.
4: saw sketching, and was put off straight away, I drew the first diagram as I wasn't quite sure if I could find any more appealing questions.
6: Did it all except the explanation at the end, calculated f(1/2) and g(k), drew a diagram, but didn't make the step to "These areas can add together to form a k by 1/2 rectangle."
10: Did the same as 4 - drew the diagram then decided against it as it looked like an algebraic battle.
13: Had a look at this but didn't get anything meaningful put down, so moved on after 15 mins.

What do you think I would have got?
Had it been the actual exam, and I wasn't restricted to 6 pure questions, I probably would have done better - wouldn't have wasted my time with 4/10/13 and would have just done 5 and 8 instead.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 31

Spoiler

Not too sure why it's an approx either when I look at it.. I've edited it :smile:

Spoiler

Original post by Sketch
Not too sure why it's an approx either when I look at it.. I've edited it :smile:

Spoiler

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by DJMayes
Q5 of STEP II, 1991 is the stuff of dreams.

(That said, the final bit is somewhat irritating if you know the easier and faster way of doing it but have to do it similarly anyway. :ninja: )

Q6 is to do with special relativity XD

Edit: My papers are labelled wrongly.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 34
People generally talk about how you should always look at the Applied part, but I can never really tell whether my knowledge would be sufficient enough if I only read through them briefly. Should I even attempt them at all?
Just have a feeling that the Pure part in III going to be tough this year. :banghead:
Original post by DJMayes
Q5 of STEP II, 1991 is the stuff of dreams.

(That said, the final bit is somewhat irritating if you know the easier and faster way of doing it but have to do it similarly anyway. :ninja: )

If they didn't have that similarly, you could probably just note that that sum is the maclaurin series of arctan x with 1 substituted and immediately write down the result in less than one line, anyway doing it there way is more fun. :smile:
Reply 36
My attempt on I 2008 goes as follows:
1: Did the first half, (A, B and C) got a couple of the pairs for the last part (this was the last question I attempted, so I didn't have time to finish it)
2: A complete solution aside from me not using the hence, so I lose all the marks for that bit (which I imagine was the bulk of the marks, as the other bits were straight forward).
3: most of i) done, didn't actually do the introduction bit correctly, couldn't see how to get at ii), so moved on.
4: saw sketching, and was put off straight away, I drew the first diagram as I wasn't quite sure if I could find any more appealing questions.
6: Did it all except the explanation at the end, calculated f(1/2) and g(k), drew a diagram, but didn't make the step to "These areas can add together to form a k by 1/2 rectangle."
10: Did the same as 4 - drew the diagram then decided against it as it looked like an algebraic battle.
13: Had a look at this but didn't get anything meaningful put down, so moved on after 15 mins.

What do you think I would have got?
Had it been the actual exam, and I wasn't restricted to 6 pure questions, I probably would have done better - wouldn't have wasted my time with 4/10/13 and would have just done 5 and 8 instead.

Spoiler

Reply 37
If we have to integrate something like 1/(4+x^2), can we use the formula booklet or do we have to do it from scratch (i.e. substitute tan)? Would the requirement differ depending on whether we're doing I, II or III?
Reply 38
Original post by scherzi
If we have to integrate something like 1/(4+x^2), can we use the formula booklet or do we have to do it from scratch (i.e. substitute tan)? Would the requirement differ depending on whether we're doing I, II or III?

it's quotable unless the question says otherwise (as with all things in the formula book)
Reply 39

Spoiler

Spoiler

Ahh, that is sweet :smile: thanks for that!

Q6 is to do with special relativity XD

Edit: My papers are labelled wrongly.

Which paper does have Special Relativity? I wanna see! :colone:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending