The Student Room Group

Maths: University of Leicester vs Aston University

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Thanks for all the replies!

After attending both Open Days, I think I'm leaning more towards Aston. This is because, when I went to Leicester, someone in the Maths talk asked about a Placement year and the response was off-putting; they hardly do it because apparently most students don't want it, plus it's only available for the Maths with Management course. Whereas Aston has an integrated placement year and the course is more situated to the real world - like they tailor it to give you knowledge on how you can apply it the real world instead of just pure academia.

:biggrin:
Aston by a mile.
Original post by Bill_Gates
Aston by a mile.

Yes, this.
Reply 23
Original post by lolakinss
Thanks for all the replies!

After attending both Open Days, I think I'm leaning more towards Aston. This is because, when I went to Leicester, someone in the Maths talk asked about a Placement year and the response was off-putting; they hardly do it because apparently most students don't want it, plus it's only available for the Maths with Management course. Whereas Aston has an integrated placement year and the course is more situated to the real world - like they tailor it to give you knowledge on how you can apply it the real world instead of just pure academia.

:biggrin:

I've changed my mind...
I think I'm gonna put Leicester as my firm and Aston as insurance. Leicester University looks waaay nicer than Aston; Aston needs to do a lot of refurbishment but they are in the process of doing that. I've also realised that I want to become an Actuary so I'll be doing Maths with Actuarial Science in Leicester and I wouldn't be going straight to employment anyway because I'll be doing further study. Also, they're still is the option of doing a placement year with Leicester; it's just not as popular as Aston.
Yep, definitely Leicester

Thaanks :smile:
Yeaah I know, but Aston has a high percentage of graduates going into work; so which factor would be better to look at? The reputation, or graduates' employment? :confused:

I'm going to get slated for this, but please go for Leicester.

I do maths (fourth year), and have compared some courses, and whilst it's hard to tell from the synopsis, the Leicester one looks much more rigorous than Aston. I know I am not being politically correct here, but the rigorousness of the course is determined by the average level of your peers - Leicester is better respected so will attract better students.

A lot of universities like Aston have very high employment figures because they are vocational universities. I get the impression (from you talking about a placement year) that this matters to you. If so, you'll have to make your own decision, but if you're good enough for Leicester and want to go for a rigorous course (perhaps you don't), then go for Leicester.

http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/mathematics/undergraduate-courses/About-our-degrees-and-studying-with-us/bsc-ba-mmath-mathematics

http://www1.aston.ac.uk/eas/undergraduate/our-courses/bsc-mathematics/
Reply 25
Original post by Octohedral
I'm going to get slated for this, but please go for Leicester.

I do maths (fourth year), and have compared some courses, and whilst it's hard to tell from the synopsis, the Leicester one looks much more rigorous than Aston. I know I am not being politically correct here, but the rigorousness of the course is determined by the average level of your peers - Leicester is better respected so will attract better students.

A lot of universities like Aston have very high employment figures because they are vocational universities. I get the impression (from you talking about a placement year) that this matters to you. If so, you'll have to make your own decision, but if you're good enough for Leicester and want to go for a rigorous course (perhaps you don't), then go for Leicester.

http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/mathematics/undergraduate-courses/About-our-degrees-and-studying-with-us/bsc-ba-mmath-mathematics

http://www1.aston.ac.uk/eas/undergraduate/our-courses/bsc-mathematics/

Yeah, I agree with what you've said hence why I made this thread (didn't know which to choose between graduate employment or research standards). I'm definitely going to go for Leicester as I also agree with Aston being vocational. May I ask where you are studying? :smile:
Yeah, I agree with what you've said hence why I made this thread (didn't know which to choose between graduate employment or research standards). I'm definitely going to go for Leicester as I also agree with Aston being vocational. May I ask where you are studying? :smile:

It's not research standards, it's the actual level of material you learn as an undergraduate. I don't know a lot about graduate employment though.

I'm at Oxford, so I'm likely to be biased more towards academia than vocational directions anyway. I don't want to make unfounded remarks about Aston, I'm just going purely on those two synopses, but they do look quite different. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest