The Student Room Group

med school application advice (PLS HELP)

Hi! So I'm taking a gap year right now but I'm reapplying for medicine this year and just need some help on university choices.

Here are my stats:
- UCAT : 2810
VR (620)
DM (710)
QR (840)
AR (640)
SJT (Band 1)

- A-Levels (achieved)- Psychology (A*), Biology (A*) and Chemistry (A)
- EPQ- A*
- GCSE’s (achieved)- English Literature (9), English Language (9), Mathematics (9), Chemistry (9), Biology (9), Physics (9), Spanish (9), Computer Science (9), Geography (9), Textiles (8).

Unis I'm considering:
- Southampton
- Nottingham
- Cardiff
- Aston
- Leicester
- UEA

The last time I applied I did not choose the universities strategically for my low UCAT and so was rejected pre-interview, so any and all advice would be really appreciated. Thank you!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by adhiraashok
Hi! So I'm taking a gap year right now but I'm reapplying for medicine this year and just need some help on university choices.

Here are my stats:
VR (620)
DM (710)
QR (840)
AR (640)
SJT (Band 1)

- EPQ- A*
- GCSE’s (achieved)- English Literature (9), English Language (9), Mathematics (9), Chemistry (9), Biology (9), Physics (9), Spanish (9), Computer Science (9), Geography (9), Textiles (8).

Unis I'm considering:
- Southampton
- Nottingham
- Cardiff
- Aston
- Leicester
- UEA

The last time I applied I did not choose the universities strategically for my low UCAT and so was rejected pre-interview, so any and all advice would be really appreciated. Thank you!!!

you should be good for leicester. uea is good too since they use your sjt and ucat post interview. nottingham is a safe choice as well. you should be good for aston. keep in mind southampton had a cut off of 2810 last cycle for non contextuals so if you're non contextual, that's risky. cardiff are sketchy when it comes to english applicants i heard.

post it on the "which medical school shall i apply to" megathread if you want more opinions
(edited 6 months ago)

Here are my stats:
VR (620)
DM (710)
QR (840)
AR (640)
SJT (Band 1)

- EPQ- A*

Unis I'm considering:
- Southampton
- Nottingham
- Cardiff
- Aston
- Leicester
- UEA

Hey amazing job on your stats x

I’d avoid soton as cutoff was 2810 and is likely to increase

Uea is good for interview, post interview may be slightly tougher as UCAT 50% score and I suspect a lot of high scorers will select uea to have the post interview advantage. Still a good option just have to perform well at interview

Cardiff wouldn’t recommend if not Welsh or intl

Aston great option you score 32.5 cutoff was 31.5

Leicester great option you score 60 cutoff was 59.5

Notts you score 138 great option cutoff was 129

Could also consider
QMUL
Qub
Hyms
Manchester
Reply 4

Ahhhh I'll do that then, thank you @Gazzahe!
Reply 5
Original post by h4nn4
you should be good for leicester. uea is good too since they use your sjt and ucat post interview. nottingham is a safe choice as well. you should be good for aston. keep in mind southampton had a cut off of 2810 last cycle for non contextuals so if you're non contextual, that's risky. cardiff are sketchy when it comes to english applicants i heard.

post it on the "which medical school shall i apply to" megathread if you want more opinions

I think I'll avoid Southampton and Cardiff then and I'll also go post this on the megathread. Thank you for your help @h4nn4!
Reply 6
Original post by Chi chi5
Hey amazing job on your stats x

I’d avoid soton as cutoff was 2810 and is likely to increase

Uea is good for interview, post interview may be slightly tougher as UCAT 50% score and I suspect a lot of high scorers will select uea to have the post interview advantage. Still a good option just have to perform well at interview

Cardiff wouldn’t recommend if not Welsh or intl

Aston great option you score 32.5 cutoff was 31.5

Leicester great option you score 60 cutoff was 59.5

Notts you score 138 great option cutoff was 129

Could also consider
QMUL
Qub
Hyms
Manchester

Thank you @Chi chi5! Yeah it seems like Cardiff and Southampton aren't suitable options for me so I'll let go of those then. Thanks for taking the time to work out my scores too, I really really appreciate this as well as the other unis you've suggested.

Do you think the cut-offs for Leicester and Aston will increase this year? Or am I still safe? Thanks again for all of the help!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you @Chi chi5! Yeah it seems like Cardiff and Southampton aren't suitable options for me so I'll let go of those then. Thanks for taking the time to work out my scores too, I really really appreciate this as well as the other unis you've suggested.

Do you think the cut-offs for Leicester and Aston will increase this year? Or am I still safe? Thanks again for all of the help!!!!!!!!!!

i don't know about aston but there is a very slim chance of leicester's cut off increasing. they started differentiating between 8s and 9s and increased their A Level requirement. i personally think worst case senario, it will stay the same but it's probably decreasing
(edited 6 months ago)

They should come down slightly with grade deflation though Aston less so since they score 8s and 9s the same
Original post by h4nn4
i don't know about aston but there is a very slim chance of leicester's cut off increasing. they started differentiating between 8s and 9s and increased their A Level requirement. i personally think worst case senario, it will stay the same but it's probably decreasing

Agreed x both should stay the same or come down a point or so
Reply 10
Original post by h4nn4

Thank you for clarifying my doubts @h4nn4!
Reply 11
Original post by Chi chi5
They should come down slightly with grade deflation though Aston less so since they score 8s and 9s the same

Understood, thanks @Chi chi5!
Reply 12
Original post by h4nn4

Hey mate can I ask a small question regarding leicester entry requirements?, It's given that applicants in their 1st gap year will get a guaranteed interview given their UCAT is in top 2 deciles and meets the minimum entry requirements mentioned in section 2.2 of their scoring of application document. Section 2.2 only mentions about A-level requirements. It seemed as if I would get an interview, but section 2.1(minimum entry requirements) has mentioned that "all applicants must achieve a grade B in english language in IGCSE/GCSE" , I got a C tho. So Idk whether I should apply here or not. Could you advise me on this? , since some universities consider gap year applicants and school leaver applicants differently on their GCSE's so idk whether GCSE's become less relevant or not.( I am an international applicant on my first gap year , my other stats are fine such as UCAT and A levels)
Original post by Indrejit
Hey mate can I ask a small question regarding leicester entry requirements?, It's given that applicants in their 1st gap year will get a guaranteed interview given their UCAT is in top 2 deciles and meets the minimum entry requirements mentioned in section 2.2 of their scoring of application document. Section 2.2 only mentions about A-level requirements. It seemed as if I would get an interview, but section 2.1(minimum entry requirements) has mentioned that "all applicants must achieve a grade B in english language in IGCSE/GCSE" , I got a C tho. So Idk whether I should apply here or not. Could you advise me on this? , since some universities consider gap year applicants and school leaver applicants differently on their GCSE's so idk whether GCSE's become less relevant or not.( I am an international applicant on my first gap year , my other stats are fine such as UCAT and A levels)

i think those in their first gap year with ucat in top 2 deciles get guaranteed interview provided that they have achieved their minimum requirements so i don't think that can work for you. Do email them though, to double check. they normally reply very quickly in my experience. If they don't get back to you in time, i wouldn't risk it by applying there. Good luck!
Reply 14
Original post by h4nn4
i think those in their first gap year with ucat in top 2 deciles get guaranteed interview provided that they have achieved their minimum requirements so i don't think that can work for you. Do email them though, to double check. they normally reply very quickly in my experience. If they don't get back to you in time, i wouldn't risk it by applying there. Good luck!

Thanks for the help mate!
Reply 15

Here are my stats:
VR (620)
DM (710)
QR (840)
AR (640)
SJT (Band 1)

- EPQ- A*

Unis I'm considering:
- Southampton
- Nottingham
- Cardiff
- Aston
- Leicester
- UEA

low ucat i'd recommend the newer schools. You could give a shot at Brunel and KMMS.
Reply 16
Original post by alt810754
low ucat i'd recommend the newer schools. You could give a shot at Brunel and KMMS.

2810 is not a low UCAT, so they have clearly improved this year!
@adhiraashok

Nottingham
Aston
Leicester
UEA
Look fine

I would avoid Cardiff unless Welsh or heavily contextual
Southampton cut off was 2810 last year

You can also look at QUB, Manchester, Liverpool, HYMS, Plymouth, ARU, Aberdeen, Dundee, Barts, Lincoln, SGUL, Edge Hill
Reply 17
Original post by GANFYD
2810 is not a low UCAT, so they have clearly improved this year!
@adhiraashok

Nottingham
Aston
Leicester
UEA
Look fine

I would avoid Cardiff unless Welsh or heavily contextual
Southampton cut off was 2810 last year

You can also look at QUB, Manchester, Liverpool, HYMS, Plymouth, ARU, Aberdeen, Dundee, Barts, Lincoln, SGUL, Edge Hill

2810 is definitely not low, but i'm saying targeting lower UCAT cut off unis will just increases ur chances. Medicine is medicine anywhere in the UK.
Reply 18
Original post by alt810754
2810 is definitely not low, but i'm saying targeting lower UCAT cut off unis will just increases ur chances. Medicine is medicine anywhere in the UK.

Generally, the lower UCAT requiring med schools have worse interview to offer ratios than the higher UCAT requiring ones, so if you have the UCAT to make their cut off, then your chances of an offer are better there
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 19
Original post by GANFYD
Generally, the lower UCAT requiring med schools have worse interview to offer ratios than the higher UCAT requiring ones, so if you have the UCAT to make their cut off, then your chances of an offer are better there

hmm true, but newer schools tend to get lesser applicants versus other schools. if you check brunel's statistics it's comparatively lesser vs other schools.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending