The Student Room Group

GEM & Intercalating?

Do any GEM courses allow students to intercalate, say after Phase 1 (Year 2 on the 5 year)? Newcastle imply it on their A101 page, at the bottom, but I wasn't actually sure it did apply to GEM or whether it was just 5-years.

I'm aware there isn't a benefit in terms of FPAS because we'd already have degrees, but intercalating in something more specific to medicine sounds pretty interesting.

If it is doable, how do Student Finance see it? Will they still fund it, at least in part and with maintenance loans?
Most courses should let you do it. They review your application on a case-by-case basis and you even have the opportunity of doing a masters instead of another BSc. You will have to fund it yourself though as SFE do see it as a 2nd/3rd degree (especially on a GEM programme).
Reply 2
Depending on the med school you may be able to get an iMSc, but since the majority of GEM students (in my experience) are looking to get into the world of work and earning as soon as possible and already have considerable debts, I'm not sure there would be much demand for such an option.

Personally, I would be interested in getting further qualifications (MSc/MD), but only once I've qualified and have been in work for several years :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Thank guys, an MSc sounds like a better option in hindsight, and I wouldn't have an issue with doing it afterwards. If I'm right I think places like Warwick will even let you do a free one if you graduate with honours? Thought I read that somewhere.

Cheers!
Reply 4
Original post by MJK91
Thank guys, an MSc sounds like a better option in hindsight, and I wouldn't have an issue with doing it afterwards. If I'm right I think places like Warwick will even let you do a free one if you graduate with honours? Thought I read that somewhere.

Cheers!

Not the whole MSc :p:

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/med/study/ugr/courseinfo/honours/

(10% of the cohort graduate with honours i.e. about 18 people - if they gave free MSc tuition to 18 people they'd be losing a lot of money!)
Original post by Democracy
Not the whole MSc :p:

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/med/study/ugr/courseinfo/honours/

(10% of the cohort graduate with honours i.e. about 18 people - if they gave free MSc tuition to 18 people they'd be losing a lot of money!)

"study a masters module at WMS for no charge."

Ha, careful wording! Good to know...
Interesting idea. I think an Msc is your best bet, as doing Mscs is fairly popular for practicing doctors so it does convey a little more of a future advantage than a bsc (even more so if you've already got one).

I think the question would be why do it now though? By doing an iMsc the course is no shorter, so it isn't like a fast track Bsc you get when doing a iBsc. On my Msc course (previous to doing medicine) there were no medical students but a lot of F2s and specialty training doctors. I think an Msc is far more useful to do after medicine as you can do it in a subject related to your career that will help with future applications and possibly give you a chance to get relevant publications.

Obviously if you just want a break from medicine for a year then that's a different motivation for doing one, as long as you're happy to incur the cost.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending