The Student Room Group

Maths calculator paper tommorrow!

Hey I'm really stuck on this question, if someone could help me I'd love you forever!! Here's the question:
Bob and Anne play a game.
Bow will take a counter at random from the bag.
He will record the colour and put the counter back in the bag.
Anne will then take a counter at random from the bag.
She will record it's colour.
The probability that Bob's counter is red and Anne's counter is not red is 14/81.
c) Prove that 19n^2 - 124n - 224 = 0

Good luck to everyone else taking this paper!
Reply 1
You can just simply solve the quadratic...use the quadratic formula for solving the equation..
Yep, just plug numbers into the good old quadratic formula, accepting the positive answer
What does 'n' stand for then? =/
n is the variable
Reply 5
Ok. see solving the equation is what I would have done except that part a) of the question was 'solve the equation'. Surely they wouldn't ask for the same thing twice in 1 question? Thats what got me confused about whether they were asking for something different.
calcium878
n is the variable

well, of course. but in terms of the probability. is it the number of things in the bag, the number of red ones...?
heres another question for revision Question 8 on 2005 calc paper

its a 4-point moving averages question

thought i'd start off the revision for tomorrow in this thread instead of starting a new one

i'll do the question then post what i get, and compare with others, taht way people can see where they go wrong and have the right answer explained to them
i plotted the points on the graph at 1st
then got £103
i did a line of best fit and worked out that the next 4-point would be 99
the did 99x4=396
94+98+101=293
396-293 = 103

not sure if that is right or not?
Reply 9
GOOD LORD.
Me and my dad just did part a,b,c and d of that question- took us half an hour! The process is SO long!
Draw a probabilty tree.

First 3 branches will be red, white, and blue. Red will be n/4(n+1), blue is n+2/4(n+1) and white is 2n+2/4(n+1). Then draw another 3 branches for all of those, and work out:
P(r and b)
P (r and w)

It will take you forever, trust me! It took me 2 sides of A4 paper :tongue:

Latest