The Student Room Group

I've used my calculator in a maths exam by accident, should I tell someone?

I accidentaly used my calculator as well but no one saw so i dont know if it would be better to tell someone or not. I think one of the other pupils saw me use it so i think they might tell someone.
(edited 11 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pleasetellme
i(Original post by Evil Homer)We can help you find an answer but we need to know what exactly you want to find out and what has happened? As I've said before the conversation above is from 5 years ago so it's unlikely the person will be around any time soon to reply.

i accidentaly used my calculator as well but no one saw so i dont know if it would be better to tell someone or not. I think one of the other pupils saw me use it so i think they might tell someone.

okay I'm going to move this issue into a new conversation so we can try and support.
I accidentaly used my calculator as well but no one saw so i dont know if it would be better to tell someone or not. I think one of the other pupils saw me use it so i think they might tell someone.

Which exam did you use it in?
Reply 3
Original post by Evil Homer
Which exam did you use it in?

it was in paper 1
it was in paper 1

Sorry, I meant what subject?
Reply 5
Original post by Evil Homer
Sorry, I meant what subject?

oh it was maths paper 1
Reply 6
it was in Paper 1

Which exam board? And did you use it to help you throughout the whole paper or just use it for e.g. one question and then realise it wasn’t allowed?
Reply 7
Original post by Notnek
Which exam board? And did you use it to help you throughout the whole paper or just use it for e.g. one question and then realise it wasn’t allowed?

it was edexcel exam board and i used it for the whole paper
Reply 8

Oh dear...
Reply 9

I’m very surprised that no invigilator stopped you since I'm assuming you weren’t trying to hide it?

If you report it then it’s likely that you will receive 0 for paper 1 because you had a clear advantage over other students. But the fact that you owned up to it should mean that you won’t be disqualified from any future exams. If someone else reports it then the consequences could be worse since it may seem like you were deliberately cheating which is very serious.

Or you don’t own up to it then there’s a chance that no one ever finds out but you had an unfair advantage over others. It’s up to you to decide.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Notnek
I’m very surprised that no invigilator stopped you since I'm assuming you weren’t trying to hide it?

If you report it then it’s likely that you will receive 0 for paper 1 because you had a clear advantage over other students. But the fact that you owned up to it should mean that you won’t be disqualified from any future exams. If someone else reports it then the consequences could be worse since it may seem like you were deliberately cheating which is very serious.

Or you don’t own up to it and no one ever finds out. It’s up to you to decide.

If someone else reports it can't they just deny the accusation? They would need proof to disqualify OP and it seems they've missed the chance to catch them in the act unless they have cameras or something in the exam hall which I doubt
Reply 11

Maybe don't report it. You might have gotten away with it- they might never know
Reply 12
Original post by radish101
If someone else reports it can't they just deny the accusation? They would need proof to disqualify OP and it seems they've missed the chance to catch them in the act unless they have cameras or something in the exam hall which I doubt

Analysis of the students working would show that they probably used a calculator. That’s assuming that they weren’t deliberately using a calculator to cheat and making sure they’re working hid that.

For example question one was a decimal division question. A student who didn’t realise it was a non-calculator exam would have just written the answer with no working.
(edited 11 months ago)

well that's very stupid of you tbh, you seriously telling me that you used a calculator which you didn't know wasn't allowed and that no one caught on? sounds like you were cheating on purpose. if you were using a calculator in plane sight someone would've noticed... it also says on the papers what equipment is allowed
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 14
Original post by B7861
well that's very stupid of you tbh, you seriously telling me that you used a calculator which you didn't know wasn't allowed and that no one caught on? sounds like you were cheating on purpose. if you were using a calculator in plane sight someone would've noticed

This also surprises me. The school should be reported for very poor invigilation if what they say is true. I’ve heard of this happening for one question but not a whole exam!
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 15
Original post by B7861
well that's very stupid of you tbh, you seriously telling me that you used a calculator which you didn't know wasn't allowed and that no one caught on? sounds like you were cheating on purpose. if you were using a calculator in plane sight someone would've noticed... it also says on the papers what equipment is allowed

i have eardeffenders in my exam so i didnt hear the invigulators say anothing about calculator usage. i sit right at the back of the exam hall in a back corner. becuase of my exsesibility needs and the invigulators stayed at the front of the exam hall the entire duration of out exam. i dont read the front of the paper i just fill it out and get straight to work to make the most of my time given.
Reply 16
Original post by Notnek
This also surprises me. The school should be reported for very poor invigilation if what they say is true. I’ve heard of this happening for one question but not a whole exam!

my school is pretty broke so im surprised we can even get invigulators
Reply 17
i have eardeffenders in my exam so i didnt hear the invigulators say anothing about calculator usage. i sit right at the back of the exam hall in a back corner. becuase of my exsesibility needs and the invigulators stayed at the front of the exam hall the entire duration of out exam. i dont read the front of the paper i just fill it out and get straight to work to make the most of my time given.

So did you have no idea that paper 1 was a non-calculator exam before you took it? Or did you just forget?
Reply 18
Original post by Notnek
So did you have no idea that paper 1 was a non-calculator exam before you took it? Or did you just forget?

i dont remember it being mentioned before hand but that might just be my bad memery. i also dont know how someone could complete the exam without a calculator as i still stuggled even wiht the help of one. i do write down all my workings tho as i forget whcih numbers iver used or calculations ive done already.
Reply 19

Ok well that is dumb. You should always read the front. Did ur teacher not say beforehand?

That being said, don’t report it. People who want you to report it probably sat the same exam and are ****ed at what you did. It’s incredibly unfair and selfish to everyone else but don’t report it. I highly doubt the other student would report you and if they do, just deny it.

Quick Reply

Latest