The Student Room Group

in regular edexcel A level maths are events always independent

I have not seen any questions that have explicitly mentioned independence or dependence, so if not stated do I always assume events are independent? I'm pretty confused about what is in further math and what is not I cannot lie.
Reply 1
Original post by bambam21566
I have not seen any questions that have explicitly mentioned independence or dependence, so if not stated do I always assume events are independent? I'm pretty confused about what is in further math and what is not I cannot lie.

If its important for the question, it will either explicity or implicitly tell you. You can't/should not have to assume.

So a binomial has n independent events, and by saying its binomial its implicitly telling you that which is why you multiply the p's and (1-p)'s together. Selection problems without replacement are dependent etc.

Maybe post a question or two youre unsure about?
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by mqb2766
If its important for the question, it will either explicity or implicitly tell you. You can't/should not have to assume.

So a binomial has n independent events, and by saying its binomial its implicitly telling you that which is why you multiply the p's and (1-p)'s together. Selection problems without replacement are dependent etc.

Maybe post a question or two youre unsure about?

I found the question that triggered this random thought, I just randomly remembered it from a while back at school for some strange reason.

A-Level-Edexcel-Maths-June-22-Statistics-31 (Q5 on MME) just google " A level maths edexcel past papers 2022 " because I am not allowed to post links

i just ended up miss understanding the 3 statements:
65% of professional employees in both area A and area B work from home
40% of skilled employees in both area A and area B work from home
5% of elementary employees in both area A and area B work from home

taking the first bullet point for example, I was not sure if it meant:
" 65% of the TOTAL professional employees in area A and B work from home" which does not imply that 65% of employees in each area works from home

OR

" 65% of the professional employees in EACH area A and B work from home "

------------

I last saw this question ages ago so my memory of it was flawed as when looking at the question now I see no link with my original question 😂 but my original question still needed answer so thanks

(PS was part c of the question a pain in the as or is just my)
Reply 3
Original post by bambam21566
I found the question that triggered this random thought, I just randomly remembered it from a while back at school for some strange reason.

A-Level-Edexcel-Maths-June-22-Statistics-31 (Q5 on MME) just google " A level maths edexcel past papers 2022 " because I am not allowed to post links

i just ended up miss understanding the 3 statements:
65% of professional employees in both area A and area B work from home
40% of skilled employees in both area A and area B work from home
5% of elementary employees in both area A and area B work from home

taking the first bullet point for example, I was not sure if it meant:
" 65% of the TOTAL professional employees in area A and B work from home" which does not imply that 65% of employees in each area works from home

OR

" 65% of the professional employees in EACH area A and B work from home "

------------

I last saw this question ages ago so my memory of it was flawed as when looking at the question now I see no link with my original question 😂 but my original question still needed answer so thanks

(PS was part c of the question a pain in the as or is just my)

Are you still unsure about this question? The "both" in the question would imply that 65% in A and 65% in B work from home etc.
Reply 4
Original post by mqb2766
Are you still unsure about this question? The "both" in the question would imply that 65% in A and 65% in B work from home etc.

nah i get it now thanks for the help though, good luck if you are taking the exam tommorrow

Quick Reply

Latest