The Student Room Group

Work/Sport balance help!

So I'm just starting Year 12 in September, and I must admit, most of what I've read on the forums about sixth form life has absolutely terrified me!
"Five times the workload" and "no time to do anything" has really scared me, and it's not even because I'm freaked out about the loss of social life.

Basically, it's because I do karate four or five times a week. I chose not to take my black belt this year (in year 11) and for some reason unbeknown to me, I chose to take it in year 12. As you can imagine after reading all this stuff about sixth form, I'm instantly regretting this decision. :frown:

This will mean training 2-3 hours four times or more during the week and at weekends and I'm already stressed out thinking about how I'll cope. I can't afford to have my grades suffer, yet I absolutely HAVE to take my black belt this year. My parents obviously encourage me to prioritise my school work, but they don't understand how much karate means to me.

Does anyone else have experience training for sport at an elite level whilst studying? Thanks so much! :redface:
Reply 1
Original post by ilove_psychology
So I'm just starting Year 12 in September, and I must admit, most of what I've read on the forums about sixth form life has absolutely terrified me!
"Five times the workload" and "no time to do anything" has really scared me, and it's not even because I'm freaked out about the loss of social life.

Basically, it's because I do karate four or five times a week. I chose not to take my black belt this year (in year 11) and for some reason unbeknown to me, I chose to take it in year 12. As you can imagine after reading all this stuff about sixth form, I'm instantly regretting this decision. :frown:

This will mean training 2-3 hours four times or more during the week and at weekends and I'm already stressed out thinking about how I'll cope. I can't afford to have my grades suffer, yet I absolutely HAVE to take my black belt this year. My parents obviously encourage me to prioritise my school work, but they don't understand how much karate means to me.

Does anyone else have experience training for sport at an elite level whilst studying? Thanks so much! :redface:

Work hard in your frees and you will need only a few hours at most to finish ALL your remaining work.

That could mean isolating in a library but that's better than missin deadlines and stockpiling everything into 1 week

Like our school says we have to do 9 hours of extra work per subject outside of school,... Which is kind of bull crap and I know some of my high A friends not even spending more than 10 TOTAL

You find you do a high amount of hours at first but that soon diminishes by crimbo. Obviously more hours to reads Summer but its mainly A2 where the men really start to show from the boys.
I found myself doing no extra work outside of school for many weeks due to my frees and nature of subjects being used efficiently

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
I wouldnt worry, just work hard in your frees as said but be prepared to sacrafice the months april - june for revision, I was going gym 4 - 5 times a week but in those months cut it down to 2 - 3 with diet suffering. You should be ok post 16 is much better than school :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest