The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

English first years 2013/14?

Starting an English course (Q300) at Liverpool this year and wanted to see if I could find anyone else on here doing the course :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey, I'm doing English too! I haven't seen many people talk about English at all so it's good to see there are two of us at least. :biggrin:
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
Reply 2
Good! I was getting quite worried about that haha, I thought it would be a good idea to try and find some course mates on here! 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fellow Q300 English student here :smile:
Have you guys got your reading lists? I'm really concerned that I won't have the required reading done in time!
What modules are you studying in your first year?
I'm doing: Introduction to the Novel (18th-20th Century), Introduction to Drama(19th-20th Century), Introduction to Poetry (17th Century), Classical & Biblical Background to Literature and then The Age of Chivalry and/or The Heroic Age. The last 2 modules are optional, I'm definitely going to choose 1, and then either study the other or choose a module from another department, maybe theology. There is also a course on The History of the English Language which I might do instead of an outside module... not sure! Too much choice.

What sort of things did you guys study for A level?
I'm so so excited to start!
Reply 4
I'm doing English too! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I'm doing English too! :biggrin:
Do we have a reading list which we have to read from before we start?! Haven't heard anything about this :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Chriss95
I'm doing English too! :biggrin:
Do we have a reading list which we have to read from before we start?! Haven't heard anything about this :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me neither! I think there is a reading list but I can't seem to find it anywhere.. Could somebody please link us if you know where it is?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Here's the reading list http://readinglists.liverpool.ac.uk/departments/sch010.html

A lot of the optional modules do not have any books yet but the two core modules (Literature in Time and Close Reading) that we are studying in the first semester have lists of books we should read (e.g Jane Eyre is on the list *cry*)
Reply 8
Original post by Pearson95
Here's the reading list http://readinglists.liverpool.ac.uk/departments/sch010.html

A lot of the optional modules do not have any books yet but the two core modules (Literature in Time and Close Reading) that we are studying in the first semester have lists of books we should read (e.g Jane Eyre is on the list *cry*)

Thanks!! :smile:
So do we have to buy these books now or?
And have we got to read them before we start?!
Sorry for the questions haha! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Chriss95
Thanks!! :smile:
So do we have to buy these books now or?
And have we got to read them before we start?!
Sorry for the questions haha! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem, I'm in the same boat as you; I'm not too sure what to do.

I'm probably going to look into getting some of the books cheap/second hand, the more expensive books I'll see if I can take out the library when the course starts or find out if any second years are willing to sell theirs for a cheap.

And I'm going to try and read some of the books that are on the list but we'll probably have time during the course to read and prepare for lectures based on the books. :biggrin:
Reply 10
No problem, I'm in the same boat as you; I'm not too sure what to do.

I'm probably going to look into getting some of the books cheap/second hand, the more expensive books I'll see if I can take out the library when the course starts or find out if any second years are willing to sell theirs for a cheap.

And I'm going to try and read some of the books that are on the list but we'll probably have time during the course to read and prepare for lectures based on the books. :biggrin:

That's great, thank you! :biggrin:
Yeah Amazon might have second hand books for cheap hopefully!
Glad I've found another English student :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11

Thank you for posting that! I'm glad Jane Eyre is one, I already have it ;D

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Am I right in thinking that these are our compulsory modules:
Close Reading: (ENGL103)
Analysing English Language (ENGL110)
Literature In Time (ENGL111)
Shakespeare: Ways of Thinking (ENGL112)

And then we choose 2 more from the list that's posted in this thread?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Yeah that's correct I think 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by chelseadytham
Yeah that's correct I think 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone else doing Anglo Saxon/medieval/biblical lit??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Hi, Im going to liverpool uni studying biochem this sept. I almost nearly didnt get my place as my college messed up and didnt submit my exam papers, anyway that all sorted but my ucas didnt update until monday and i only received an accommodation offer on friday which is off campus, non-ensuite, looks like a prison and is catered- the opposite of what i want. I rejected this offer mainly for location, i might aswell live at home if i have to commute the uni on a bus.

As its really late now all the halls like unite and europa are full and i really dont know what to do ! Can anyone suggest anything?
Yeh, I'm doing English.

What'r you guys into (literature-wise?)
Reply 18
I'm doing English. I'm from Liverpool and staying at home though because I got offered catered and couldn't afford it. I thought the first year was the four core modules and then one from a different department each semester?
Reply 19
Yeah it is, we do two core modules and then a 15 credit module from another department each semester :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending