The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

University of Edinburgh and Access to HE Diploma

I’ve seen a similar post about this from a good few years ago, so I thought it would be worth asking this again. I am an access to HE Diploma student who is 19 and taking the course in one of the (if not the) only areas in the country that offer the course as an alternative to A-levels for non-mature students. I am looking to study the MA Japanese and Linguistics course, Japanese and Linguistics being the course I intend to pursue regardless of where I attend University. Obviously, Edinburgh accepts the diploma for adult returning students, and I at first thought that if my course tutors and I explained my situation that there shouldn’t be a problem. However because of the specification that states that applications will be considered only if the applicant is an adult returner and not a mature/non-mature student, I have my doubts.

I would just accept that it was a no if not for the messages I’ve seen on the aforementioned forum post that have said that they have classmates/have themselves been accepted into the course with a HE diploma despite what the admissions team have told them. This is my first choice of University for its location (city vs. campus and near family), the type of degree (MA instead of BA), and the modules offered. It wouldn’t be the end of the world if I had to attend Manchester or Sheffield instead (the other two Unis I’m looking at), but I would prefer to attend here.

My diploma is in humanities and social science and I currently have all distinctions (just finishing up my first year now). I also have a 9 in GCSE French and an 8 in Spanish, alongside having studied Japanese for some time now at which I am around an N4 level.
I will be contacting the University and applying regardless because it can’t help to, but does anyone have any advice or personal experience to share to give me more information on this subject?
Reply 1
Original post by damon333
This is my first choice of University for its location (city vs. campus and near family), the type of degree (MA instead of BA), and the modules offered. It wouldn’t be the end of the world if I had to attend Manchester or Sheffield instead (the other two Unis I’m looking at), but I would prefer to attend here.

I can't help with your questions, but I just wanted to check that you knew the difference between a Scottish MA and an English MA, since this seems an unusual selling point given that context (unless you mean you prefer the format of Scottish degrees, which is fair enough!): https://www.blogs.ppls.ed.ac.uk/2019/03/14/english-ma-vs-scottish-ma/
(edited 10 months ago)
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Original post by Interea
I can't help with your questions, but I just wanted to check that you knew the difference between a Scottish MA and an English MA, since this seems an unusual selling point given that context (unless you mean you prefer the format of Scottish degrees, which is fair enough!): https://www.blogs.ppls.ed.ac.uk/2019/03/14/english-ma-vs-scottish-ma/

Ohhh, I never realised. So it’s kinda just semantics? Thank you for the reply!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending