The Student Room Group

Advice on restarting a course years later NHS Mental Health Nursing

Hi,

I am looking for advice about whether I would be eligible for funding from the student loans company if I apply for a degree in Mental Health Nursing.

So, my background is this. I have received funding for a first degree in English Literature that I completed in 2008. I then went on and started a degree in Mental Health Nursing in 2012, I did a year and a term on that and was doing really well. Unfortunately I was subject to domestic violence during this period and had to flee to another area of the country at the end of 2013 and I couldn't transfer my credits over to start 2nd year at a different University because Northumbria University at the time was part of a new rolled out programme and all the Universities in the Leeds area weren't so it wasn't directly transferable. Plus obviously, it wasn't the right time, I had a small child, no help and no secure housing so I ended up withdrawing from my course.

I'm in a much better place in my life now and I still want to be a mental health nurse, it was definately the right career for me. My question is, would I still be eligible for finance given that I have a previous completed degree AND I have previously completed the first year of the same course at a different university? I would be happy to provide police reports and social worker reports from the year that I withdrew, if needed, to prove that it was extenuating circumstances that led to me withdrawing from the course.

Thank you for any advice that can be given.
Original post by Setsuka
Hi,

I am looking for advice about whether I would be eligible for funding from the student loans company if I apply for a degree in Mental Health Nursing.

So, my background is this. I have received funding for a first degree in English Literature that I completed in 2008. I then went on and started a degree in Mental Health Nursing in 2012, I did a year and a term on that and was doing really well. Unfortunately I was subject to domestic violence during this period and had to flee to another area of the country at the end of 2013 and I couldn't transfer my credits over to start 2nd year at a different University because Northumbria University at the time was part of a new rolled out programme and all the Universities in the Leeds area weren't so it wasn't directly transferable. Plus obviously, it wasn't the right time, I had a small child, no help and no secure housing so I ended up withdrawing from my course.

I'm in a much better place in my life now and I still want to be a mental health nurse, it was definately the right career for me. My question is, would I still be eligible for finance given that I have a previous completed degree AND I have previously completed the first year of the same course at a different university? I would be happy to provide police reports and social worker reports from the year that I withdrew, if needed, to prove that it was extenuating circumstances that led to me withdrawing from the course.

Thank you for any advice that can be given.

Most NHS/AHP degree courses are exempt from the equivalent level and previous study rules. Therefore, as you didn't register to work in nursing you should be eligible for both tuition and maintenance fees loans. You can check by asking Student Finance England on the following forum (they usually reply during normal office hours M-F). Give them the course name and uni so they can check the database:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=910

You could also be eligible for additional support from the NHS Learning Support Fund if you intend to study at a uni in England. This would give you an annual training grant of £5,000 per year, additional payments for dependants, and it covers accommodation/travel expenses associated with placements.

https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/nhs-learning-support-fund-lsf

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending