The Student Room Group

Need some SERIOUS help!

Ok, so I am starting my controlled assessments in a few months. The first one starts as soon as school reopens. It will be based on a Shakespeare play, Macbeth. Do you have any tips 0n how to get a an A* in such a situation? Any advice would be much appreciated . I am guessing people who have done a CA on Macbeth would some idea of what topics crop up and what is the best way to handle such a question and avoid any common errors that people make etc. (As my username suggests, I really want to succeed ) :smile::smile: Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by crazy2succeed
Ok, so I am starting my controlled assessments in a few months. The first one starts as soon as school reopens. It will be based on a Shakespeare play, Macbeth. Do you have any tips 0n how to get a an A* in such a situation? Any advice would be much appreciated . I am guessing people who have done a CA on Macbeth would some idea of what topics crop up and what is the best way to handle such a question and avoid any common errors that people make etc. (As my username suggests, I really want to succeed ) :smile::smile: Thanks.

Welll i done my Macbeth CA last year and i got a band 5 (Whoooopie)
So i guess its ya luckky day ... Hehehe!

just remember
P
E
A
A
A
A
A
A

And what is ur CA Title?

BTW Band 5 is the A/A* Range 8)
Reply 2
ok, call me crazy, but I haven't got the title yet. Any chance you'll see this thread when I have updated it with the title?:smile:
God I HATED Macbeth! I still haven't even got my grade, my teachers going to give us them back on the first day. :tongue:

Anyway, I'm a top set student and the only tips I can really think of right now are use really strong evidence. If you use weak evidence, you'll struggle to make sense and link it back to the coursework question. For example, it would be silly to use a Macbeth quote if you're talking about Lady Macbeth, unless he is talking about her and it relates to the point you're trying to make.

Also, get LOTS of notes and evidence, so you have a lot to back yourself up on and you don't fall short. I used Sparknotes for quotes and Modern English translations. Always link back to the era in relation to current day as well so you can compare their actions to those of today.

Usual coursework questions that come up are to compare Lady Macbeth to Marie from The Laboratory, show how Lady Macbeth acts differently to woman of the era she is in, show how Lady Macbeth is controlling of Macbeth, who's ambition is driving the force of the story, compare Macbeth; Banquo and Macduff, Does Macbeth conclude morally, why did Shakespeare use characters such as Lady Macbeth who are immoral in the story.

Lady Macbeth is usually a popular coursework question choice, since she's a really interesting character lol.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
In English I always try to:

- Use embedded quotes
- Use a wide range of vocabulary
- Make historical and social links
- Compare what I'm writing about to another piece of literature
- Use unusual quotes

I'm not naturally good at English, but at the moment it's one of my strongest subjects, just because I include everything in that list :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest