The Student Room Group

Course Options

I have recently moved to the UK from South Africa and will be starting college in September, i would like to study architecture, but i am unsure on which subjects or course would be best to take. Please could someone advise me on what my options are.
It depends what you prefer , more artistic or more physics/maths based architecture and every uni is different so I recommend looking at some previous student work, socials, course details etc because I prefer the artsy side so UAL and Ravensbourne were more catered to that than others such as Bath, Cardiff :smile: Every uni has different subject requirements aswell e.g Maths A level or a subject in art or design
Original post by Mmmasoen
I have recently moved to the UK from South Africa and will be starting college in September, i would like to study architecture, but i am unsure on which subjects or course would be best to take. Please could someone advise me on what my options are.

What subjects do you enjoy most and think you’ll get the best grades in while having time to work on a portfolio of art and design work in your free time?

Have a look at the A levels for Architecture thread:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7361710

:smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Jessa0811
It depends what you prefer , more artistic or more physics/maths based architecture and every uni is different so I recommend looking at some previous student work, socials, course details etc because I prefer the artsy side so UAL and Ravensbourne were more catered to that than others such as Bath, Cardiff :smile: Every uni has different subject requirements aswell e.g Maths A level or a subject in art or design

So the thing is i don't even have my GCSE in Math, while doing a course im planning to do that, I also first need to decided wether A-Levels, T-Levels, B-Tech or a mixture of A- levels and B-Tech would be the best option
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
What subjects do you enjoy most and think you’ll get the best grades in while having time to work on a portfolio of art and design work in your free time?

I think i would enjoy more of Art subjects but if i need to take more serious subjects i would
Reply 6
I think i would enjoy more of Art subjects but if i need to take more serious subjects i would

i reckon personally a btec construction might be a really good idea cause it looks like the syllabus covers a lot of relevant stuff like sustainable construction and building services, for example Loughborough uni has it as one of their preferred btecs too (along with art and design, applied science, and engineering)
https://feweek.co.uk/pearson-btec-and-mobie-help-learners-meet-the-sustainability-challenge-in-construction/
https://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/architecture-barch/

doing maths a-level and some sort of art qualification should be enough to satisfy the few unis that require specific subjects
Original post by Pedr0
i reckon personally a btec construction might be a really good idea cause it looks like the syllabus covers a lot of relevant stuff like sustainable construction and building services, for example Loughborough uni has it as one of their preferred btecs too (along with art and design, applied science, and engineering)
https://feweek.co.uk/pearson-btec-and-mobie-help-learners-meet-the-sustainability-challenge-in-construction/
https://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/architecture-barch/

doing maths a-level and some sort of art qualification should be enough to satisfy the few unis that require specific subjects

A construction BTEC and maths A level really aren’t the best choice for architecture - particularly not for someone who has literally just said they enjoy art subjects.

You can absolutely take 100% art and design subjects at level 3 if you want. That will rule out a very small number of architecture courses - but those would likely be the courses least likely to suit you.

there’s no wrong choice for architecture. Any subjects that you enjoy will be beneficial to you. As long as you keep developing your design and creative skills and portfolio of work, and take a genuine interest into architecture in your spare time then you’ll have no problems finding an architecture degree that suits you

I took Graphics, Art and DT for my A levels and was looking at courses in London, University of East London, UAL and Ravensbourne was a good choice for me without the ‘serious subjects’ needed although if you’re looking be a qualified architecture UEL has a RIBA certified course whilst Ravensbourne doesn’t which you need a part 1 (undergrad) and part 2 (Masters) in order to become a qualified architect :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by PQ
You can absolutely take 100% art and design subjects at level 3 if you want. That will rule out a very small number of architecture courses - but those would likely be the courses least likely to suit you.
there’s no wrong choice for architecture. Any subjects that you enjoy will be beneficial to you. As long as you keep developing your design and creative skills and portfolio of work, and take a genuine interest into architecture in your spare time then you’ll have no problems finding an architecture degree that suits you

Thank you so much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending