The Student Room Group

HELP! I’m spending mindlessly

I acc need help. I’m not able to save up and I can’t go a day without spending at least £30 and I’m not even rich
Is this a recent problem you are having?
Make yourself a weekly budget to pay for essentials and stick to it.

You are an independent adult and need to show a lot self-control.
Along with some spine and common sense.
It is time for you to stop wasting your money during a very serious uk cost of living crisis where so many British people can't afford to buy food or nappies for their babies.

Ditch the takeaway meals, unhealthy packaged snacks, ready meals and booze.
If you are regualarly spending money on taxis, uber transport or expensive branded items- stop.
These are luxuries until you have a full time job paying well above minimum wage.
Focus on free methods of transport around your local area like walking, jogging, using a bicycle if you already own one.
Buy low priced supermarket & discount store versions of your favourite pricy branded products like heinz, hovis, walkers and yeo valley.
Good luck!
Work out a serious budget with a small provision for discretionary spending.

Keep the majority of your money in a savings account and only have your expected monthly/weekly outgoing money in your regular account.
Reply 4
Original post by londonmyst
Make yourself a weekly budget to pay for essentials and stick to it.

You are an independent adult and need to show a lot self-control.
Along with some spine and common sense.
It is time for you to stop wasting your money during a very serious uk cost of living crisis where so many British people can't afford to buy food or nappies for their babies.

Ditch the takeaway meals, unhealthy packaged snacks, ready meals and booze.
If you are regualarly spending money on taxis, uber transport or expensive branded items- stop.
These are luxuries until you have a full time job paying well above minimum wage.
Focus on free methods of transport around your local area like walking, jogging, using a bicycle if you already own one.
Buy low priced supermarket & discount store versions of your favourite pricy branded products like heinz, hovis, walkers and yeo valley.
Good luck!

It's a great recomendation. but I've got the same problems. I tried to write lists for shopping, but nothing changes) I don't buy expensive clothes, and don't often buy them. I analized my spending. must say that most of money I spend on entertainment)
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 5
It's great that you're recognizing the issue and seeking help, that's the first step towards making positive changes. Start by tracking your spending for a month to see where your money is actually going. You can use apps, spreadsheets, or even a simple notebook. This will help you identify areas where you can cut back.
Reply 6
Original post by novakM
It's great that you're recognizing the issue and seeking help, that's the first step towards making positive changes. Start by tracking your spending for a month to see where your money is actually going. You can use apps, spreadsheets, or even a simple notebook. This will help you identify areas where you can cut back.
Thanks I’ll try do that. I wanted to open a saving account but I don’t want any interest and what not so I’ll try a mondo card. Do you have one?
Original post by Anonymous #1
Thanks I’ll try do that. I wanted to open a saving account but I don’t want any interest and what not so I’ll try a mondo card. Do you have one?

Why on earth wouldn't you want interest???
Reply 8
Original post by novakM
It's a great recomendation. but I've got the same problems. I tried to write lists for shopping, but nothing changes) I don't buy expensive clothes, and don't often buy them. I analized my spending. must say that most of money I spend on entertainment)
One good trick is to once a week, take your cash card to the machine and withdraw your weekly cash allowance. You then leave your cash card at home in a safe place and put the money in your wallet. Once you have spent that money, that is it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending