The Student Room Group

ABB at A level and City Firms

I'm a non-law student (English at Exeter) considering a career in corporate law, preferably at a city firm (silver circle and other international firms). However, I got ABB at A-levels. i was one mark off an A in one of my subjects but the grade didn't change after a remark. I plan to work really hard and hopefully get a 1st or at least a high 2.1

Should I just keep these A-level grades and work hard at uni, or should I retake a module to make it AAB (which i'm really reluctant to do). How much of a hinderance are these A-levels for a law career in the city?
(edited 10 years ago)
To get into the silver circle laws firms you will need far more than an AAB those firms are very competitive, the majority of people working in them have achieved at the very least a 2.1 in university but also have at least an A*A*AA at A-Level, with an ABB you might get a job in a smaller firm as a lawyer but honestly an AAB is not much different than an ABB when it comes to job interviews so i wouldn't repeat a year of 6th form.
Original post by unigirlalisha
To get into the silver circle laws firms you will need far more than an AAB those firms are very competitive, the majority of people working in them have achieved at the very least a 2.1 in university but also have at least an A*A*AA at A-Level, with an ABB you might get a job in a smaller firm as a lawyer but honestly an AAB is not much different than an ABB when it comes to job interviews so i wouldn't repeat a year of 6th form.

This is complete bull****, ignore every word of it.

Check out

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2432005
Reply 3
Forgot to mention I had mitigating circumstances (which was mentioned in my ucas reference)
Original post by pheobe
Forgot to mention I had mitigating circumstances (which was mentioned in my ucas reference)

Read the thread I quoted, situation is similar to yours.
Reply 5
Original post by Cutmeloose
Read the thread I quoted, situation is similar to yours.

I did thank you, but he/she went to Oxford, I'm just really worried as its not clear cut. What would your advice be?
Original post by pheobe
I did thank you, but he/she went to Oxford, I'm just really worried as its not clear cut. What would your advice be?

They are in the same position as you, i.e going into first year.

The same can broadly be applied to you. A good amount of firms stipulate ABB or that they expect you to have 340 UCAS Points but will not filter you out if you do not (therefore you can attempt to compensate for it with the rest of your application) Unless the thresholds go up, then you're still in with a shot, i.e Farrer &Co, Gibson Dunn, Cameron Mckenna, Berwin Leighton Paisner, Taylor Wessing, Olswang, Pinsent Masons, Freshfields all stipulate ABB or no specific requirement. I'm sure that there are more out there.

Some firms will probably filter you out. Resitting is an option, but my hunch tell me that firms who are not prepared to consider you with a first class degree and ABB may be the sort who'll reject you when they clock onto the fact that you've resat the A-Levels meaning that you wasted your time filling out the application. The emphasis on a 'strong academic background' is probably why they place emphasis on A-Levels.

How 'severe' were your mitigating circumstances? if they were/are severe then you can get round most filters and shouldn't bother with the resits.

If I were you, I'd just focus on your degree for now, try and get onto a few first year schemes and take it from there.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Cutmeloose
They are in the same position as you, i.e going into first year.

The same can broadly be applied to you. A good amount of firms stipulate ABB or that they expect you to have 340 UCAS Points but will not filter you out if you do not (therefore you can attempt to compensate for it with the rest of your application) Unless the thresholds go up, then you're still in with a shot, i.e Farrer &Co, Gibson Dunn, Cameron Mckenna, Berwin Leighton Paisner, Taylor Wessing, Olswang, Pinsent Masons, Freshfields all stipulate ABB or no specific requirement. I'm sure that there are more out there.

Some firms will probably filter you out. Resitting is an option, but my hunch tell me that firms who are not prepared to consider you with a first class degree and ABB may be the sort who'll reject you when they clock onto the fact that you've resat the A-Levels meaning that you wasted your time filling out the application. The emphasis on a 'strong academic background' is probably why they place emphasis on A-Levels.

How 'severe' were your mitigating circumstances? if they were/are severe then you can get round most filters and shouldn't bother with the resits.

If I were you, I'd just focus on your degree for now, try and get onto a few first year schemes and take it from there.

i'll pm you my Mitigating Circumstance
Reply 8
Original post by pheobe

I didn't go to Oxbridge either, and I would repeat everything I said in that thread here. Don't let it stop you applying because they do take account of mitigation and so one grade won't kill your application if you are strong enough everywhere else.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending