The Student Room Group

The 'N' when naming compunds

Hey guys, basically we've started organic chemistry in school(at A2) and we have been naming compounds, in class my teacher began using the letter N when it came to naming compounds from some diagrams.

Could anyone explain what the use of the letter of the N is as my teacher's explanation did not help at all?

Thanks in advance.
Original post by RM123
Hey guys, basically we've started organic chemistry in school(at A2) and we have been naming compounds, in class my teacher began using the letter N when it came to naming compounds from some diagrams.

Could anyone explain what the use of the letter of the N is as my teacher's explanation did not help at all?

Thanks in advance.

Your teacher could be referring to N substituted amides?
Reply 2
Original post by James A
Your teacher could be referring to N substituted amides?

Thanks for the insight but what does the N- bit stand for?
Original post by RM123
Thanks for the insight but what does the N- bit stand for?

Well, when you have something like N-ethylbutanamide, all the N means is that the nitrogen atom is connected to the ethyl group (prefix of the name of the compound). I've highlighted the group in bold below.

So it would be something like

CH3CH2CHCONHCH2CH3

IF you see my point now?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
You can also use a lower case n (for "normal") as a prefix to indicate straight-chain isomers (cf the structures of n-butanol and t-butanol).
Reply 5
Original post by James A
Well, when you have something like N-ethylbutanamide, all the N means is that the nitrogen atom is connected to the ethyl group (prefix of the name of the compound). I've highlighted the group in bold below.

So it would be something like

CH3CH2CHCONHCH2CH3

IF you see my point now?

Thanks, it's alot clearer now.

Quick Reply

Latest