The Student Room Group

GCSE Maths re-sit in November 2013.. Help needed!

Hi all,

I hope I've posted this in the right forum, apologies if not, it's been a while since I posted anything on here.

Anyway - long story short, I'm thinking of going to uni next year but I need to re do my GCSE in Maths as I got a D the first time round back in 2006. I'm wondering if it's possible I can be entered in for the re-sit in November of this year? But as they've changed so many things with exams etc, I'm unsure whether the GCSE I did is still applicable for this?

I know I'd be entering as a private candidate etc, just want to know if it's possible for me to do it this November.

I'm wondering if anyone here has any advice for me?

Reply 1
Original post by SuperStarr1
Hi all,

I hope I've posted this in the right forum, apologies if not, it's been a while since I posted anything on here.

Anyway - long story short, I'm thinking of going to uni next year but I need to re do my GCSE in Maths as I got a D the first time round back in 2006. I'm wondering if it's possible I can be entered in for the re-sit in November of this year? But as they've changed so many things with exams etc, I'm unsure whether the GCSE I did is still applicable for this?

I know I'd be entering as a private candidate etc, just want to know if it's possible for me to do it this November.

I'm wondering if anyone here has any advice for me?

Yes, you can resit in Nov. get in touch with centres soon as they will be doing their entries for them shortly. The curriculum has changed a little bit since 2006. You need to choose either foundation (max grade is C) or higher tier. Which tier did you study for originally? They have also introduced more problem solving and functional questions where you must show working to earn the marks. I advise you get a new revision guide that matches the exams you decide to take and do as many past papers as you can find.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by gdunne42
Yes, you can resit in Nov. get in touch with centres soon as they will be doing their entries for them shortly. The curriculum has changed a little bit since 2006. You need to choose either foundation (max grade is C) or higher tier. Which tier did you study for originally? They have also introduced more problem solving and functional questions where you must show working to earn the marks. I advise you get a new revision guide that matches the exams you decide to take and do as many past papers as you can find.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, thanks for replying. I think I did the foundation paper originally but without much revision or practicing tbh. I think I'm going to do the foundation tier, I only need a 'C' grade and looking at both papers - I think I'll do better on it tbh, considering I have to re-learn it all in just over 7 weeks.

I've had a look at a few past papers and mark schemes and I see what you mean about showing working things out. I was doing a few q's and one I did in my head and got the same answer yet I'd lose marks for not showing how I worked it out. Slightly annoying.

I just need to find a centre that will accept me now, I know which books I'll buy to help me revise but I'm actually excited about an exam! Lol.. thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by SuperStarr1
Hey, thanks for replying. I think I did the foundation paper originally but without much revision or practicing tbh. I think I'm going to do the foundation tier, I only need a 'C' grade and looking at both papers - I think I'll do better on it tbh, considering I have to re-learn it all in just over 7 weeks.

I've had a look at a few past papers and mark schemes and I see what you mean about showing working things out. I was doing a few q's and one I did in my head and got the same answer yet I'd lose marks for not showing how I worked it out. Slightly annoying.

I just need to find a centre that will accept me now, I know which books I'll buy to help me revise but I'm actually excited about an exam! Lol.. thanks for your help :smile:

Many people will tell you it is easier to get a C by doing relatively badly on a higher paper (25-30 % C pass mark) than to score very highly on foundation (70 - 80%). It depends on whether you have already learned any of the higher topics or can find someone to help you learn them. Do compare the 2 as part of your decision. Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by gdunne42
Many people will tell you it is easier to get a C by doing relatively badly on a higher paper (25-30 % C pass mark) than to score very highly on foundation (70 - 80%). It depends on whether you have already learned any of the higher topics or can find someone to help you learn them. Do compare the 2 as part of your decision. Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, that's what my brothers also said. Hmm, I have looked at Higher papers and I'm just worried I won't even be able to get 25% due to some topics which I've never even seen before. My brother said he will help teach me some new topics, I think I'll do the past papers on both and try and decide quickly.

Quick Reply

Latest