The Student Room Group

Would I be able to do this?

Hi,

I'm currently a Year 11 GCSE Student hoping to take all A Level's in Sciences (still deciding what else to choose)

I'm wishing to peruse a career in Science when I leave school, but as I'm resitting Maths in November other students has said that'll be a bad look for university

There is a A Level for Further Mathematics but I won't meet the requirements for that as of now, so I was wondering would I be able to take Further Mathematics at my college whilst doing my A Levels at the same time?

To neutralise me re-sitting?
Reply 1
Hi.

When I was in year 11, I failed maths. As pathetic as it sounds, I actually retook maths 4 times as i kept failing. I finally got a 4 in maths. When i applied for University of leeds (a russell group) the grade requirments stated that for GCSE I should have grade 6 maths . They still let me in and had absolutely no trouble whatsover and no hard time in the course.

I dont think universities can see how many times you re took it tbh or really care, at the end of the day GCSE is just a level of qualification, really doesnt matter if you took it 10 times because you still passed in the end.

I dont know about sitting the further mathematics. My school wouldnt have allowed it if you havent passed maths. But I would also keep in consideration that you may not pass in November, and the next time you could then try to sit it is in the summer, and then it my be to late to take maths as an a level.

Also, if your school and sixth form are in two different places, i would definitely ask if the sixth form do resit maths (just to save u travel time)

Hope i understood your question correctly
Reply 2
It's not me failing Maths, I'm WJEC and I'm in Intermediate Tier, you're capped at a B and obviously Uni's won't like that as places are extremely competive when it comes to science. My Math Teacher would've put me in Higher Tier as she wanted me to do a paper but I was sick for a while then it was too late.

So, I'm planning to resit Maths in Sixth Form at Higher Tier but nearly everyone I talked to said if they see me retake Maths then they're not going to like that as if I can't do GCSE Maths then how will I comprehend with the Maths in Science? (I'm planning to do something with Physics maybe?) so I'm thinking after I resat to do further mathematics to kind of neutralise it.

They can see whether you resat because of the season you took it according to this person.
Reply 3
Hmm ok, just speaking from my experience, i still got in, but yes maybe it depends on the subject and possibly the uni.
I still doing think it would really matter. GCSE's are quite irrelevant at unis they are more interest in A level results. As long as you got the paper that says you received "x" grade for maths shouldnt be a problem i dont reckon. Also, say if you have a dream uni, and you dont get in, you can just aply through clearing. no one knows the difference.
If theres a way unis know when you sat it chances are they can probably see how many times you sat it too. also, you can turn around and say that you werent really resitting it, as that was the first time you sat it ;
when you apply to uni, you get references from your teachers. They are able to write about your personal situations etc and they can mention it if it is something you are worried about. I would ask maybe a form tutor as they usually help with the uni applications and stuff.

as for unis not liking it.... my friend goes to the unviersity of manchester, with no english gcse and no maths gcse, studying a law degree. obviously i know maths isnt needed for law but it still a requirment, even the lack of english gcse etc. at such a prestigous uni. And arguably law is also very competitive.
Reply 4
Original post by Kayamarie1
Hmm ok, just speaking from my experience, i still got in, but yes maybe it depends on the subject and possibly the uni.
I still doing think it would really matter. GCSE's are quite irrelevant at unis they are more interest in A level results. As long as you got the paper that says you received "x" grade for maths shouldnt be a problem i dont reckon. Also, say if you have a dream uni, and you dont get in, you can just aply through clearing. no one knows the difference.
If theres a way unis know when you sat it chances are they can probably see how many times you sat it too. also, you can turn around and say that you werent really resitting it, as that was the first time you sat it ;
when you apply to uni, you get references from your teachers. They are able to write about your personal situations etc and they can mention it if it is something you are worried about. I would ask maybe a form tutor as they usually help with the uni applications and stuff.

as for unis not liking it.... my friend goes to the unviersity of manchester, with no english gcse and no maths gcse, studying a law degree. obviously i know maths isnt needed for law but it still a requirment, even the lack of english gcse etc. at such a prestigous uni. And arguably law is also very competitive.

Feel free to re take at a higher lavel if it satisifes you. but dont be too hard on yourself when it *probably* wont make a difference. i suppose it would be a safer option but you could be focusing more on the subject you are planing to study.

Original post by parryxliam
It's not me failing Maths, I'm WJEC and I'm in Intermediate Tier, you're capped at a B and obviously Uni's won't like that as places are extremely competive when it comes to science. My Math Teacher would've put me in Higher Tier as she wanted me to do a paper but I was sick for a while then it was too late.

So, I'm planning to resit Maths in Sixth Form at Higher Tier but nearly everyone I talked to said if they see me retake Maths then they're not going to like that as if I can't do GCSE Maths then how will I comprehend with the Maths in Science? (I'm planning to do something with Physics maybe?) so I'm thinking after I resat to do further mathematics to kind of neutralise it.

They can see whether you resat because of the season you took it according to this person.

Quick Reply

Latest