The Student Room Group

To Kill A Mockingbird quotes??

I need as many quotes as possible that are descriptive/discourse of the female characters in to kill a mockingbird. Please help me if you can as I just don't know where to start other than go through the entire book again looking? :confused:
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Reply 2
To be fair, if you're sitting an exam on the book it's a good idea to read it as many times as possible so going through from the beginning isn't a bad idea.

To make it easier on yourself, I'd recommend that as you read through the book this time you make notes on the key events in each chapter and what the main characters are so you know exactly where to go for quotes in the future. If you want to go a step further then you can pick out or highlight quotes as you read, I always find that useful.
You need to be able to understand quotes, and apply them to the rest of the book. If you can do that, quotes are your best friend. If not, the examiner won't understand why you've stuck a quote in your essay. I can't quote directly as I'm on Internet Explorer so it won't start a new paragraph, but go to http://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/3275794-to-kill-a-mockingbird for some great ones. TKAM is an awesome book! Enjoy it - at least you're not doing An Inspector Calls! Literally every sentence has some sort of metaphor for racism in it. Also, read the book through and pick up some quotes yourself; it will give your exam essay/controlled assessment a unique touch. Show that you can pick out things for yourself. I found a lovely quote from TKAM in the early chapters that had never been mentioned on any quotes sites before, and got an A* in the exam. (July's exam was ridiculously hard, anyone else notice?) For female characters - discourse? wth? - just take them one by one: Scout (tomboy in a man's world), Miss Maudie (the reasonable voice of society, but not allowed to be a member of the jury), Mayella (she's a good kid being abused, no-one will help her), Aunt Alexandra (judging and hypocritical, yet has more power than other women), and the absence of Scout and Jem's mother. Go back to chapter with these characters in, especially the chapters surrounding Tom's trial, and pick some quotes out. Go to chapter 24 with the missionary circle - there are SO MANY significant females in that chapter; look at their treatment of Tom and Scout. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending