The Student Room Group

Where to start studying for Mechanical Engineering?

Hi everyone,

I graduated from high school a year ago and have been working to save for college. I have always been interested in engineering but never really thought of it as my career until now. I do not have any background in Physics or Pure maths so I needed help. :smile: My plan is to enroll college in about a year or two which will give me enough time to prepare. :colone:

The only problem is I do not know where to start, what to study :confused:. So, please help me out you pro engineers. :biggrin:

Thank you for your time. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by strangepath

Well, Engineering is applied Mathematics and Physics, so you will definitely need to gain some knowledge in those areas before you do any sort of Engineering. Try to learn some differential calculus and mechanics which will set you in good stead for any Mechanical Engineering course.

Also, ask yourself what is Mechanical Engineering? It's about the transfer of heat energy into useful mechanical energy. So, perhaps, you could research the operation of a Stirling engine and see how that works. There's a nice bit of thermodynamics right there.

Quick Reply

Latest